What would you do if your child was spanked at school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do?

• Total voters

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    The school system used to be the best fried of parents. A child was taught at home, but only in school were the lessons put into action. The teachers made on-the-spot corrections, not parents. Now, the teachers are relegated to babysitting and the parents only hear one side of the story, only to take the side of their child. Then they send their monster back to the school the next day.

I only wish my school system could paddle my son sometimes. It makes no difference when he's corrected at home, but his teacher can only say, "I'm going to call your father."

I can't say I agree with your statement.
    1) I don't ever only hear one side. If there is an issue I always get all sides of it.
    2) I have never and will "probably" never hit my kid. I can't say I'm against it I just have not had to deal with a situation I deemed bad enough to warrant it.

I parent has years to teach their child respect long before they are school aged. Teach it young and stop it at the small issues way before it gets to the point in your story.

If a child is cussing at teachers, then that isn't the first and only sign of disrespect. Maybe they aren't cleaning their rooms when they are told to, etc....

I think the main problem with disrespectful kids are parents that aren't taking the time to be with their kids and teach them this issues. They send them of to malls or other places to be babysat.

Just my :twocents:, take it for what it is.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The school system used to be the best fried of parents. A child was taught at home, but only in school were the lessons put into action. The teachers made on-the-spot corrections, not parents. Now, the teachers are relegated to babysitting and the parents only hear one side of the story, only to take the side of their child. Then they send their monster back to the school the next day.

I only wish my school system could paddle my son sometimes. It makes no difference when he's corrected at home, but his teacher can only say, "I'm going to call your father."

Back in the day if the principal said I'm going to call your father, i would have begged for the spanking.

I guess my point is if the parent backs the school there is no reason for the school to do anything but notify the parent.
    And if they don't back the school the child is expelled.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would (and did a few times) give my kid another spanking at home. Like Mrs. G said, i would probably confirm with the teacher what happened first. That was also how I was raised.

But of course since we have gotten away from corporal punishment, children have gotten so much more respectful of themselves and others.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, there is no way in hell my kid would ever talk to his teacher like that, but if he came home and told me he was brought into an empty room and paddled by his teacher without my consent before hand, there would definitely be an issue.

If I was able to confirm that my son said that to his teacher, I'd bring the paddle in myself, but I'd want it done in front of his classmates.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Talk to my son and the teacher together and then decide who gets an "ASS Whooping."

24robinson, I'm not picking on you specifically, lots of people have expressed this view.

The problem with this is, who are you going to believe? A teacher that you barely know, if at all, or your little darling? People tend to side with their children over an unknown authority figure, whether its teachers, principal, or the cops.

My ex-wife always sided with the oldest daughter over the school. It was embarrassing! The ex went to the school and made a fool of herself pretty regularly. She thought it was a conspiracy by the entire school corporation to besmirch her baby.

If you don't trust and support the people you put in charge of your kids, maybe you sent them with the wrong people. If the school said that the kid was the problem, I will side with them. They don't have a reason to lie to me. The kid does have a reason to lie. Generally speaking, it's that simple.

If you side with the kid over an authority figure in the kids life, does the teacher really have any authority? No, and the kid will have little to no respect for them.:twocents:

These posts should have everyone's ages and how many kids they've raised.:laugh:

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Private schools as a child... I was spanked. I didn't hold a grudge, I learned from my mistakes. When i got home I was spanked again... Sent to my room.

Now I really wish that they'd do this to the kids at school as well... BUT!!! I'm one that believes that no one else should be spanking my children, just as no one else in 'reality' should be educating them except for me!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    To those simply posting "I'll spank him again", is that just being brief or are you accepting the teacher taking him to a closet to meter out discipline?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it your immediate family members who teach your children or do they go to a school? Also, whether it's you or a teacher, if your child is spanked, is it not assault regardless who swings the paddle?

No. Per the Indiana Supreme Court, "A parent is privileged to apply such reasonable force or to impose such reasonable confinement upon his [or her] child as he [or she] reasonably believes to be necessary for its proper control, training, or education.”

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I was a child I was told by my parents that I was not to be physically disciplined by employees of my school. If I needed to be hit, my father would do the hitting.

My parents were not above striking a child if it was necessary, but they would not subject me to violence at the discretion of random adults employed by the school. I was struck by my parents on occasion and it was effective, proportionate and deserved.

(I have no children and am speaking here of my theoretical kid)

If my kid came home and told me a teacher had spanked him, I would contact someone I actually know at the school and start unraveling the situation. If it came down that the truth was that the teacher struck my child in anger I would have at least his job. If the teacher struck my child, not in anger, my response would depend on the particulars.

I was struck twice by employees of the school during my k-12.

1st time was by my kindergarden teacher and apparently I had it coming. She called my parents before I got home and explained the situation. I think she was a great teacher and a lovely lady and if she said I needed hit, philosophical objections aside, I must have needed hit. She really was a wonderful lady.

2nd time was by my junior high science teacher and I hit him back. I nearly got kicked out of school and my parents talked to various members of the school board and no lawyers were involved and I stayed in school. I realize now that I overreacted, but he hit me first. I later came to have respect for this person and have no hard feelings about the incident. I did not respond ideally, but I do not think I was morally wrong for hitting him back.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    the teacher (male) takes your son to an empty room

That's a real red flag for me. Perhaps its paranoia, but that's too close to pedophilia for me. No way should physical discipline be meted out in private by a school official, and no one should be putting hands on my child without notifying me unless his safety or other's is at risk (if he gets knocked on his butt while fighting by the adult breaking it up, that's on him, but the spanking can be administered after the fact.)

I believe in spanking as a last resort, haven't had to use it in years, but the knowledge its an option keeps it from getting to that point most of the time. That said, *I* administer it, or will at a minimum be present for it. I can think of much better ways to punish a smart mouth than a spanking that's done and over with. Manual labor along with a loss of electronic toys is a pretty good motivator for this generation.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

You have my sympathy. Each kid is different and the motivator for each kid is different.

For me, I could see that my dad busted his ass every day for my family. He worked himself to the bone to give us a decent life. Mom worked at least as hard as dad and they both treated their family with love and as much patience as they could spare.

For me, all my parents had to do was explain that I was hurting them and that it was unjust. They loved me and I shouldn't be cruel to them as it was unjust. They did not place unreasonable restrictions on me and I played by their rules.

That worked to motivate me.

From what I have heard, my eldest brother was motivated only by physical punishment, the harder the more motivating.

Each kid is just different.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I went to a private school from k-6th Grade and I remember getting 3 whacks on Wednesday and 5 on Friday most every week. Went to public school from 6-12 and got paddled in 8th grade and remember laughing at the principal after the paddling. Those sisters laid the wood, the public school paddling was a joke ! Anyway I did not turn out to bad so lets bring back the A** whooping and teach some respect.

FordMan79

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Southeast Indiana
    The things that I don't like about the scenario is that the teacher took the kid to an empty room. I have no problem with the paddling I think it should be handled differently. The paddling should be done by the principal with a witness. If I remember right this is how it was done when I was in school.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    No. Per the Indiana Supreme Court, "A parent is privileged to apply such reasonable force or to impose such reasonable confinement upon his [or her] child as he [or she] reasonably believes to be necessary for its proper control, training, or education.”

I love the law, but you must provide context. I can post a lot of things the SC says before and after a ruling. Besides, your quote is about confinement, not spanking.

The scenario is just that. Whether a room full of witnesses or in an empty closet, my overarching question is about spanking. I only said an empty room, because I thought some may not want their child to be embarrassed by getting a paddling in front of other students.

Top Bottom