What would you do if your child was spanked at school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do?

• Total voters

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    If my son had called a teacher a foul name he'd have to eat all of his meals from the floor.
    Because that's where his teeth would have landed after I'd smacked him in the mouth.
    Stupid should hurt....:twocents:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would get both sides of the story. If the kid deserved it, I would spank the kid some more for disrespecting the teacher. Being a (good) teacher is hard. I have A LOT of respect for them. I'm talking about good teachers though. That put pride in teaching our young people. Looking back, I should've been spanked a couple times in school.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    No one is going to physically discipline my child outside of my immediate family. The way to correct insolent behavior towards adults is not immediate physical retribution. I am the ultimate authority figure for my child. I want a description of what happened and I will handle it at my discretion.

Our children are still citizens. They will not be taught that in society, rules violations will result in physical punishment by authority figures. Would those who support teachers spanking students without parental approval be OK with police beating people who mouth off?

I hate to say it, but that's assualt and I'd consider pursuing this if it happened in today's society. Taking a child into a private room alone by an adult and doing things to him? I can't believe this is being tolerated by INGO.

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    No one is going to physically discipline my child outside of my immediate family. The way to correct insolent behavior towards adults is not immediate physical retribution. I am the ultimate authority figure for my child. I want a description of what happened and I will handle it at my discretion.

Our children are still citizens. They will not be taught that in society, rules violations will result in physical punishment by authority figures. Would those who support teachers spanking students without parental approval be OK with police beating people who mouth off?

I hate to say it, but that's assualt and I'd consider pursuing this if it happened in today's society. Taking a child into a private room alone by an adult and doing things to him? I can't believe this is being tolerated by INGO.

Finally , a post with some common sense.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Is it your immediate family members who teach your children or do they go to a school? Also, whether it's you or a teacher, if your child is spanked, is it not assault regardless who swings the paddle?

If a BG isn't complying with the direction of an officer, I see no problem with using physical assistance to make him comply. In either instance, physical correction should only be used if the situation calls for it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

What is the difference between one version of societal education and another?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Is it your immediate family members who teach your children or do they go to a school? Also, whether it's you or a teacher, if your child is spanked, is it not assault regardless who swings the paddle?

To my knowledge, assault is the unauthorized physical striking of another person. If you are the parent and the person is a minor your are parent/guardian of, then the argument is made it's spanking unless it crosses the imaginary threshold. My kids will go to public or private school.

If a BG isn't complying with the direction of an officer, I see no problem with using physical assistance to make him comply. In either instance, physical correction should only be used if the situation calls for it.

I agree that non-compliance with police commands is justification for physical contact. However, if the police asked why the guy was speeding and the response was "well jerk, I was speeding because I had to get some stuff done fast" and the response was a beating for being insolent, that is the comparison I was making.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What is the difference between one version of societal education and another?

I guess I'm a bit confused how to answer this. Are you asking about the difference between corporal punishment by parents and random people in society doling out physical punishment for violations of their own perceived ruels and pleasantries?

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I'd ask the teacher if my child deserved it and the circumstances, and if the stories meshed, I'd be happy. Then the kid would get double when I get home.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I much as I'd want to pummel the teacher initially, I'd go talk to the guy and get his side of the story. We're too quick to believe everything our kids say sometimes. We're also the first ones they usually lie to.

If it turned out he was that disrespectful, he'd get more punishment at home. Though I don't think any physical contact, disciplinary or otherwise, is acceptable in this day and age from a teacher, I might not make an issue of it depending on the exact circumstances. My wife would have his head on a platter with his d*** in his mouth regardless. :):

This coming from someone who was paddled by the principal several times back in the day. :twocents:

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    I'd talk to the teacher and find out what happened. I don't like corporal punishment, but everything is a situation. I'd feel the need to know exactly what happened before making judgements.

When I was a kid, teachers were able to do more by way of discipline. Now, the teacher is expected to teach and inspire our kids, but without the means to enforce rules. And parents frequently fail to discipline their kids, so they end up being little monsters in the classroom. And if the teacher tries to intervene, the parents throw a fit. IMHO, the teacher has to be able to control what happens in the classroom. And kids have to learn to show a little respect to persons in authority.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I guess I'm a bit confused how to answer this. Are you asking about the difference between corporal punishment by parents and random people in society doling out physical punishment for violations of their own perceived ruels and pleasantries?

It was mostly rhetorical since for your specific circumstances, I do not know your choices for educating your children.

But for those that oppose corporal punishment in schools because it sends a message contradictory to what the parent wishes, how does one justify the choice to send children away to a school that is probably chock full if contradictory and oppositional messages?

Or perhaps a better question: WHY would someone do that?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would expect a call before any punishment was given. If the story were true, I would supervise the discipline. My son knows that a spanking in school will be small potatoes.

The only issue I would have is finding out after the fact.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So if a child mouths off to an unrelated adult it's okay for that adult to smack him around as punishment, but if an adult mouths off to an unrelated adult, and gets smacked around for it, people go to jail for battery?

Interesting outlook here.

I understand disciplining your kids, but that's not the job of someone else. That's my job and my wife's job. Nobody else's. If my kid mouths off to you, you tell me about it and I'll deal with it.

This is but one of many reasons we homeschool our children. I'm not going to put other people in the position to potentially have to discipline my kids.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I would find out if the teacher followed the rules for doing it. If I didn't know already, find out how many times he had not turned in homework, been in trouble at school, been in ISS or OSS and look at the big picture.

After I had all the info, he would not be sitting down for a few days.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So if a child mouths off to an unrelated adult it's okay for that adult to smack him around as punishment, but if an adult mouths off to an unrelated adult, and gets smacked around for it, people go to jail for battery?

Interesting outlook here.

I understand disciplining your kids, but that's not the job of someone else. That's my job and my wife's job. Nobody else's. If my kid mouths off to you, you tell me about it and I'll deal with it.

This is but one of many reasons we homeschool our children. I'm not going to put other people in the position to potentially have to discipline my kids.

I agree somewhat, but children need to learn that others are in charge, not just mom and dad. That's why it is understood (at my children's school) that I will be made aware before punishment is given. My children didn't know this, and my son doesn't either. Typically, they get a stronger punishment from the school after the school talks to me. For example, my daughter decided to skip class. The school called me, and told me. I asked what the punishment was for first offense and their reply was that a verbal warning was given. I told them it was too light and asked them to give her detention and a note (to be signed by parents) giving the reason for detention. They gladly obliged and my daughter (and her sisters) learned that skipping class was a bad idea.

I have always made it a point to make the school aware that we are on the same side. Every teacher, past and present, knew that a simple note to me was the cure for whatever problem. One attendance counselor decided he was going to play parent to my daughter, let me tell you, our meeting wasn't pretty and ended with a police officer standing outside the door.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I agree somewhat, but children need to learn that others are in charge, not just mom and dad. That's why it is understood (at my children's school) that I will be made aware before punishment is given. My children didn't know this, and my son doesn't either. Typically, they get a stronger punishment from the school after the school talks to me. For example, my daughter decided to skip class. The school called me, and told me. I asked what the punishment was for first offense and their reply was that a verbal warning was given. I told them it was too light and asked them to give her detention and a note (to be signed by parents) giving the reason for detention. They gladly obliged and my daughter (and her sisters) learned that skipping class was a bad idea.

I have always made it a point to make the school aware that we are on the same side. Every teacher, past and present, knew that a simple note to me was the cure for whatever problem. One attendance counselor decided he was going to play parent to my daughter, let me tell you, our meeting wasn't pretty and ended with a police officer standing outside the door.

I won't dispute that. Children DO need to learn that others can be in charge in other places. Detentions, suspensions, no problem. I just object to physical punishment not coming from us.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It would have to be pretty severe for me to allow a spanking from another person. I'm not saying I would never allow it, but I can't think of a reason (right now) that couldn't be dealt with another way.

I think it has to do with upbringing. My dad was the school administrator (lucky me) and spanking was reserved for a last ditch effort to avoid expulsion. He would call the parents, explain the circumstances, and recommend a spanking. If they refused to allow their children to be spanked, he would explain that expulsion was the only recourse (fighting, swearing at a teacher are a few examples). If they still refused, their child was removed from the school.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom