What would you do if your child was spanked at school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do?

• Total voters

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    1. Thank the teacher.
    2. Beat the hell out of the kid.
    3. Beat the hell out of myself for failing to raise a kid who would never consider the conduct in the first place.

There is a HUGE difference between lighting a tail up and "beat the hell out of the kid". One sounds like discipline and the other sounds like possible abuse...and I'm all for parents (and schools, when truly needed) breaking out a paddle.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    There is a HUGE difference between lighting a tail up and "beat the hell out of the kid". One sounds like discipline and the other sounds like possible abuse...and I'm all for parents (and schools, when truly needed) breaking out a paddle.

Just go away, son. Just go away. No one wants to hear the nonsense....

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Oh, sympathy is not needed. I don't have the issues provided in the scenario. I simply trust the teachers that care for my children. I go to the school and spend time with them and I know what's going on in their lives. I've never met a teacher that I wouldn't trust to discipline my children.

Each kid is certainly different, though.

Good deal, I did not catch that this was hypothetical. I was honestly getting kind of stressed trying to figure out how you could have a kid who did not either respect or fear you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm surprised that some of you would allow strangers to discipline your kids

I'm surprised the teachers of your children are strangers. That is a huge part of the problem. Parents should know the teachers of their children beyond the level of a stranger.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm surprised the teachers of your children are strangers. That is a huge part of the problem. Parents should know the teachers of their children beyond the level of a stranger.

I see your point about teachers not being strangers, but if a family friend smacked my kid we would have words.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

My kids aren't old enough to go to school, so they are strangers to me. Even if I knew them well, I do not want them laying hands on my children, that is not their job.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I don't have kids, and you didn't specify what grade or age the children involved were. One high school I attended in TN a few years ago actually STILL to this day allows corporal punishment. At the beginning of every year parents were sent a form, which they had to sign if they would allow it.

My parents never signed the form, because I never gave it to them ^^ but anyways.... it only allowed the principal to paddle the student. I never got in trouble, National Honors Society honor roll student and all that good stuff, so it wasn't really an issue for me.

But if I was a bad kid, and the teacher tried to order me out of the room alone, I would point out that they are not permitted to leave students unattended in their room, so this would have to happen right here in front of everyone, and they had no authority to lay a hand on me. Then if they tried, it would be the same as anyone on the street trying to mug me while they are unarmed, and that's how I would treat it.

But my father probably would not have allowed it either. A family member smacked my younger brother once, and he got enraged and said nobody but him touches his children.

I don't think I will spank my kids, I don't see a need for it. If you raised them right, you wouldn't need to spank them in the first place. If you want to parent through fear, intimidation, and pain, I think a better effect would be cutting your arm with a knife on the surface in front of them every time they acted up, and make them see daddy bleed...

To answer the question, when I have school aged children, and a teacher decides to take it upon themselves to deal out physical punishment, I will push for battery charges, or whatever the equivalent is. Skip talking to the teacher, principal, school board.

One of my former teachers from high school actually was fired and under investigation because he tickled a trouble making student on the bus. Tickled, not spanked, or paddled! I couldn't believe it. People were alleging some pretty terrible things about him, child molester, etc. I knew him pretty well, even coordinated with him after I moved across the country, and went on a field trip with his class ( and I wasn't even a student at the school!). He was a 25 year vetted private defense attorney, teaching criminal justice, news articles are out there on the web. I believe he went back to his legal career. You might think it weird an old guy would tickle a high school student, but if you knew him, you wouldn't think he was a freak. He also liked to throw soccer balls and other things at students heads when they decided to nap in his class. He would rather do stuff like that instead of yell, or send you to the office. But I guess if you can't physically punish one of your students, that includes tickling. Still sad he lost his job though.

Last edited:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I don't have kids, and you didn't specify what grade or age the children involved were. One high school I attended in TN a few years ago actually STILL to this day allows corporal punishment. At the beginning of every year parents were sent a form, which they had to sign if they would allow it.

My parents never signed the form, because I never gave it to them ^^ but anyways.... it only allowed the principal to paddle the student. I never got in trouble, National Honors Society honor roll student and all that good stuff, so it wasn't really an issue for me.

But if I was a bad kid, and the teacher tried to order me out of the room alone, I would point out that they are not permitted to leave students unattended in their room, so this would have to happen right here in front of everyone, and they had no authority to lay a hand on me. Then if they tried, it would be the same as anyone on the street trying to mug me while they are unarmed, and that's how I would treat it.

But my father probably would not have allowed it either. A family member smacked my younger brother once, and he got enraged and said nobody but him touches his children.

I don't think I will spank my kids, I don't see a need for it. If you raised them right, you wouldn't need to spank them in the first place. If you want to parent through fear, intimidation, and pain, I think a better effect would be cutting your arm with a knife on the surface in front of them every time they acted up, and make them see daddy bleed...
    AFTER you have children you'll understand......;)
    "Spare the rod. Spoil the child" is not just an empty saying.
    Witness the number of juvenile criminals on the loose today because of little, or no, parental "correction" being applied when necessary.
    If you haven't read "Lord Of The Flies" yet please do so before having children. :)

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I do not want them laying hands on my children, that is not their job.

Perhaps if the parents of kids today did a better job of "laying hands" on their own kids, the teachers wouldn't have to be forced into the role of parent.........

And, to correct you, yes, it is their job. It's what we want them to do.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I see your point about teachers not being strangers, but if a family friend smacked my kid we would have words.

I get what all of you are saying and that is your choice. However, I believe if I trust ANYONE to protect and care for my children when I am not around, then I can trust them well enough to act in my stead. That means I count on them to encourage and inspire as well as correct and discipline. I just see things differently base on life-experience, but your experience may be different.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My kids aren't old enough to go to school, so they are strangers to me. Even if I knew them well, I do not want them laying hands on my children, that is not their job.

Get to know the teachers. Go to school board meetings. Volunteer to read in the classroom. Don't wait until your children get there to do these things. Most schools don't allow teachers to discipline children anyway. However, teachers do have to teach children who come to schools without the basic ability to read and count. That should not be their jobs either, but they do it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Perhaps if the parents of kids today did a better job of "laying hands" on their own kids, the teachers wouldn't have to be forced into the role of parent.........

And, to correct you, yes, it is their job. It's what we want them to do.

No it's not their job to instill moral and ethical discipline into my children, and I make it a point to be a horrible father for teacher to HAVE to take on that role. That is my role and I try my best to do a damn good job at it.

You or anybody lay hands on my child, you are going to have some problems!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am a grandparent and I know all my grandaughters teachers and any staff AT SCHOOL THAT DEALS WITH HER.
    We all do and take turns picking her up. We see all of them on a daily bases and interact with them.
    I sent my kids to a private school for the intimacy of knowing all of the staff and students. Granted not all parents can budget this or care for the program but we went that way. ANY, and I do mean ANY issues were reported to us first hand.
    They did not paddle but were stern enough.

Top Bottom