What would you do if your child was spanked at school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do?

• Total voters

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I got spanked in first grade. My teacher got a lecture for being **** poor from my Ma one day for standing over and berating me. Pink Floyd's teacher x 10. Needless to say if we see her, she goes the other way. Couldn't stand the old lady, sorry I was too smart for you.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There is not a public school district in the state that would not fire the teacher for this incident. The legal beagles at the admin office would be pissing themselves.

"You took a minor child, into a private room, with no other witnesses, and then you made physical contact with him?"

See ya.

Every whack I got in school, I earned. None of them were administered in private, none of them were administered without one of my parents being informed. Our Dean would welcome me to his office, push the phone to me and say "Call your mom, or call your dad, I don't care which." I'd get mom on the phone, he tell her I was about to get three whacks with a paddle for blah blah blah...then they hung up. The VP came into the office to witness, they shut the door, I bent over the chair and got my whacks.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you raised your kid right you wouldn't have this problem.....they would have respect for there elders and good manors....

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    if you raised your kid right you wouldn't have this problem.....they would have respect for there elders and good manors....

Sorry, I don't buy that. Your statement makes it sound as though good parents don't have kids who misbehave. Everyone has choices (even kids). A parent can do everything possible to raise the child with respect and manners, but that doesn't mean the kid is going to have respect and good manners at all times.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you don't have children. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I would smack the $*** out of myself for ever letting my kid get that disrespectful in the first place.

Its a parents responsibility to teach their kid respect, not a teachers.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Sorry, I don't buy that. Your statement makes it sound as though good parents don't have kids who misbehave. Everyone has choices (even kids). A parent can do everything possible to raise the child with respect and manners, but that doesn't mean the kid is going to have respect and good manners at all times.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you don't have children. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

your right i don't have kids......don't change the way i think.....i got wacks in school but not for disrespect to elders it was for fightin' with other kids......i knew not to disrespect teachers/elders as i knew what i would get when i got home......always yes sir/mam and no back talk.....:twocents:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

I assume you've never raised kids. What they do behind your back when they're growing up and testing their boundaries is beyond your control, no matter how well you've raised them.

That said, this isn't the issue being discussed, is it?

edited to add:

your right i don't have kids...

Exactly.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I assume you've never raised kids. What they do behind your back when they're growing up and testing their boundaries is beyond your control, no matter how well you've raised them.

That said, this isn't the issue being discussed, is it?

edited to add:

Exactly.

oh but i was one.....

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If one of mine cussed at a teacher they would be hating life for quite some time. They would get a royal butt whipping. Dont forget to that in the given senario the kid lied to the parents to about why he got whipped at school.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I agree to a certain extent; however, most children are raised to belief their respect is to be earned by adults. So, they believe they can cuss and even perform criminal acts in the presence of adults because they have done nothing to earn their respect. I don't know what to do to earn the respect of an child, let alone most modern-day adults, so what we are left with are children who act out in school, knowing the repercussions are nothing more than a talk or a few days at home.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It would have to be pretty severe for me to allow a spanking from another person. I'm not saying I would never allow it, but I can't think of a reason (right now) that couldn't be dealt with another way.

I think it has to do with upbringing. My dad was the school administrator (lucky me) and spanking was reserved for a last ditch effort to avoid expulsion. He would call the parents, explain the circumstances, and recommend a spanking. If they refused to allow their children to be spanked, he would explain that expulsion was the only recourse (fighting, swearing at a teacher are a few examples). If they still refused, their child was removed from the school.

So, spanking is the last-ditch effort? What is the first? A child calls his teacher a mother****er at school, what do you do? He does it again, what do you do? He does it a third time and now you are at the last-ditch effort and spank him. Do you really believe the child is apprehending corrective action?

What about if he was stealing from the local grocery store? Do you believe the system will give him three or four opportunities? That is what kids think today. Because they get five chances before parents really get serious, they believe the system works the same way. That is why the parents end up on TV talking about how Jimmy is a good boy, but knowing they've failed him.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would smack the $*** out of myself for ever letting my kid get that disrespectful in the first place.

Its a parents responsibility to teach their kid respect, not a teachers.

The school system used to be the best fried of parents. A child was taught at home, but only in school were the lessons put into action. The teachers made on-the-spot corrections, not parents. Now, the teachers are relegated to babysitting and the parents only hear one side of the story, only to take the side of their child. Then they send their monster back to the school the next day.

I only wish my school system could paddle my son sometimes. It makes no difference when he's corrected at home, but his teacher can only say, "I'm going to call your father."

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    There is not a public school district in the state that would not fire the teacher for this incident. The legal beagles at the admin office would be pissing themselves.

"You took a minor child, into a private room, with no other witnesses, and then you made physical contact with him?"

See ya.

Every whack I got in school, I earned. None of them were administered in private, none of them were administered without one of my parents being informed. Our Dean would welcome me to his office, push the phone to me and say "Call your mom, or call your dad, I don't care which." I'd get mom on the phone, he tell her I was about to get three whacks with a paddle for blah blah blah...then they hung up. The VP came into the office to witness, they shut the door, I bent over the chair and got my whacks.

Teachers can still paddle in school, taking the kid into an empty room not sure how that would play out.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The school system used to be the best fried of parents. A child was taught at home, but only in school were the lessons put into action. The teachers made on-the-spot corrections, not parents. Now, the teachers are relegated to babysitting and the parents only hear one side of the story, only to take the side of their child. Then they send their monster back to the school the next day.

I only wish my school system could paddle my son sometimes. It makes no difference when he's corrected at home, but his teacher can only say, "I'm going to call your father."

Got that call last week. Notes, demerits, etc. have come home all year. My son is no angel. He got off the bus that afternoon of the phone call and asked how many whacks he was going to get. I surprised him and we discussed what he did, why it was wrong and where it will lead him to as an adult. I hope I got my point across. If it happens again, I won't be so kind. He also had to apologize the next day in school and I went in to make sure it was done. Sometimes the embarrassment of Mom coming into class is enough to scare a kid straight!!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Spanking is only one kind of consequence. Consequences HAVE to be presented for a youth acting out. This is what hasn't been happening and what is leading to so much disrespect of societal rules by young folks.

I don't like the idea of the school system meting out these kinds of consequences but when I was in school it was commonplace. I survived more than one "paddling" in high school and mangeed to get on with my life without some kind of PTS or low self esteem.

Fortunately none of my children have required severe consequences to stay on an acceptable path. Mom and Dad's disapproval was enough of a deterrent and that is as it should be.

Unfortunately, much of the acting out in schools and on school buses, etc. is promoted by and condoned by the parents, one way or another. Unfortunate for society, good news for the private enterprise prison system.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    your right i don't have kids......don't change the way i think.....i got wacks in school but not for disrespect to elders it was for fightin' with other kids......i knew not to disrespect teachers/elders as i knew what i would get when i got home......always yes sir/mam and no back talk.....:twocents:

If you were not corrected, would you have learned to stop fighting?

Top Bottom