Not open for further replies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    KLM, I mean seriously, who are we kidding? Whether it's referred to as ghetto or gangster, it's the commonly held belief that those are synonymous (in most instances), again most instances, with black culture. It, IMO, is simply a PC way of avoiding having to say black. Truth be told, if "inner city" didn't also have that trait, it would be most correct to say "inner city culture." With the notion being that people packed on top of each other and who live in poverty, are more prone to commit crimes.

No, you may perceive it that way but black is not by default ghetto. Big difference between the two in the way a person carries themselves.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am curious whether single parent households play a factor or what role religion or church attendance may play in the communities compared...Now to my Atheist/Agnostic brother's...I am not saying church or religion is needed for there to be a moral compass....However I can see how, if one believes in an eternal life, that it may make one more apt to try to walk on the less criminal side...

With that said I believe the more important factor that may possibly play into this has nothing to do with race and more to do with a two parent household...I know if dad was gone for just a little while I tended to believe I could get away with more and I certainly took advantage of my mother's more lackadaisical attitude....

IMHO...

We must be disciplined until we learn to self-discipline...and whether we like it of not, it is difficult for a female to control a young male, especially in the teen-age years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I addressed location, and said it's an important factor to look at...

And since you brought up Appalachia. I took it upon myself to do some research. Enterprise, AL is my hometown. It's population is approximately 26,000 people (2010). Wheeling, WV a town in Appalachia, has a population of approximately 31,000. Enterprise has a black population of about 20%, while Wheeling has a population of 5%. If I'm going believe the narrative spoon fed to me in this thread, then it would be a no-brainer, that Enterprise would be have the significantly higher crime, right? I mean there's a 15% difference in the black population, and we ALL know how much blacks LOVE their gangster/ghetto culture, right?

Here's the breakdown:
    Crime in Enterprise, Alabama (AL): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map

Crime in Wheeling, West Virginia (WV): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map

BTW, the city neighbouring Enterprise, Daleville, has a higher black population (25%), is poorer, and an even lower crime rate than Enterprise

So what's the story here Jamil?

What I got from his post was that it was the location and the poverty. And he was using Appalachia as an example where there is poverty, but less crime. I think it's safe to say that the trend seems to be from poverty in large cities. And I think your research tells this same story Kut.

But again, I'm not Jamil so I don't know what story he was trying to tell with the information provided.

he did, initially, but he made reference to the poverty in white Appalachia, and how their crime rates were near the national average. I took that to man that in places where there's significantly higher blacks and of similar economic status, the rates would be higher. The examples I provided put that into question.

What's the story? There isn't just one story. There are factors. I thought you would get what I was trying to say. What I should have made clearer is not that I'm saying "Black Culture", generically, is responsible for all the violence.

What is the difference between urban culture and rural culture among both races? There are urban areas with a lot of poor white people too, and they aren't out shooting each other every weekend. Less than 10% of gang members in the US are White. Near 40% are Black. Even higher numbers are Hispanics. That's not explained simply by saying "poverty". It's not explained simply by saying "culture". It's not explained simply by saying "location". Or even by saying "broken homes". Various cultures under diverse circumstances have broken homes, and aren't out there killing each other every weekend.

So let me ask some questions.
    What can white people do to stop Black people from killing each other in inner cities?

What can BLM accomplish through their current methods? How does that change the stereotypes that they believe is the cause for police shooting Blacks?

When the people with the Stereotypes see how so many BLM protesters behave, how does that affect those stereotypes? Taking over the stage at one of Milo Yiannopoulos's speaking engagements? Taking microphones away from they LGBT activists after the Orlando shooting, as if no one has a right to protest anything else but BLM? Shouting anti-police rhetoric in their protests? How does that affect those stereotypes? How does the name itself affect those stereotypes?

If they believe Black people are accidentally shot more than Whites because stereotypes make police more jumpy, the way they're going about it is counterproductive. What does chanting "Black Lives Matter" do to fix misconceptions? And I don't care if you guys say that the "too" is implied. You can say that all day long and as long as the rank and file behave like they don't believe that, why should I believe it? Why would a BLM activist take the mic away from the LGBTs, and try to guilt them for daring to have some other cause than BLM. How does that help fix those stereotypes?

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Ya know, America is simply obsessed with race. We break down so much of our issues based on race. And when people assert it's this race or that race that has an issue, then conversely members of that race are also going to speak in racial terms, while defending themselves.

For instance, "Do black people commit more crimes?" The answer "yes." The more important question, is "Do black people commit more crimes because they are Black?" Followed by "Does the level of melanin in one's skin indicate a propensity to commit more crime?" To this, I'll say flat out.... You probably are a racist if you believe that. So there's absolutely zero reason to speak in terms of skin color.

"Do black people that make more than $100K/yr commit more crimes, per capita, than white people at or below the poverty line?" The answer in no.

So when people talk about "certain cultures," should they be talking about the culture of race, or the culture of poverty and location (location plays a huge role, btw)? I think that fair question to be asked, and it's unfortunate that more people, in our race obsessed culture, don't offer this up more. Now sure, there is a racial component to crimes, but IMO, it's usually confined to the overall system of enforcement, and ingrained biases of the public, not the ethnicity of the offender.

Not just America ,the world is obsessed, other countries I have been to are way worse than United States

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of the supposed problem with race in America is that we pay way too much attention to those who profit from the controversy. Ignoring the race baiters would go a long way towards us getting back to all of us just being Americans again.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    KLM, I mean seriously, who are we kidding? Whether it's referred to as ghetto or gangster, it's the commonly held belief that those are synonymous (in most instances), again most instances, with black culture. It, IMO, is simply a PC way of avoiding having to say black. Truth be told, if "inner city" didn't also have that trait, it would be most correct to say "inner city culture." With the notion being that people packed on top of each other and who live in poverty, are more prone to commit crimes.
    I disagree. While blacks are portrayed more in that way, there are a lot of Hispanic and White gangster types around. Blacks may have lead the gangster style train, but they are far from the only ones on it.

Yes, I thought about inner city as well, but that also encompasses a lot of people that do not fit the same mold. The problem area seems to revolve much more around the gangster stereotypes. This is what is glamorized and what people try to emulate. That is where your rap singers and athletes come in as role models too. It is also where the root of your disagreements at times with people about people looking like thugs comes from. Yes, it is true that not everyone that dresses or acts in this manner is a thug, but it is also true that they are projecting that image.

I think that fewer of us see things in such a race based manner than you give credit for. I know I for one care not one iota what color someone's skin is, but I care a lot about how people present themselves and act.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    So, is Pres. Barak Obama the "race baiter" in-chief? I have some thoughts, but I would like to hear (read) some other opinions before I blair in.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As if getting someone to agree that "Black Live matter" solves anything.

Anyone who believes that police shoot black people disproportionately (which is not true) because they value their lives less is a nitwit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So, is Pres. Barak Obama the "race baiter" in-chief? I have some thoughts, but I would like to hear (read) some other opinions before I blair in.

15-0429-Al-and-Barack.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What about a race battle...of the bands?

We can solve this whole thing like one of those Jackson Five after school specials I sued to watch when I was a kid!

Here you go......

[video=youtube;4B_UYYPb-Gk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk[/video]

I was a traitor to my race back then....The Osmonds and the Jackson 5 cartoon was on at the same time...I went with the Jackson 5...Not because they were fellow Hoosiers....Because...Lord this is hard...

They were just better.......

And the Osmonds never got sampled......

"Arm me with Harmony" (for Houghmade)

[video=youtube;qdeH7QhGiRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdeH7QhGiRg[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    War? No. Division? Much more than there was 8 years ago.

I don't even know how to evaluate whether or not there is more division. There are certain people and groups trying to drive a wedge, and some people may have responded to it, but I see no evidence of any greater division in my personal life among my friends, family, clients, fellow church members, etc. I can't accept what the media pushes and the loudmouths they give voice to. Likewise, polls are designed to make news. Conflict makes news. They want conflict even if it, in reality, is rare and not endemic. As to "racial strife", I don't see a source of information I can trust more than my own experience.

My own experience is this- the black friends and family I had years ago, I'm still close with. I've made friends of various racial and ethnic backgrounds in the last few years and have no reason to think I've missed out on new friends because of my race. My clients of every race and ethnicity still trust me and rely upon me. The people of several ethnicities and races I go to church with, we get along fine.

I'm sure there's pockets of strife out there, but it hasn't hit close to home that I'm aware of. I guess if I accept what the media wants to sell, I'll see it everywhere. I don't.

"Username"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2016
    Everywhere, so far.
    "Is it a movement? Is it an organization?

I saw the topic come up in another thread on the murders in Dallas.

The linked article from January of 16 gives some insight as to what "Black Lives Matter" really is and what is behind it.

Reds Exploiting Blacks: The Roots of Black Lives Matter

I thought it may be worth sharing here so people know and are aware.

Best regards."

There has been a lot of discussion on "race", "hyphens", "prejudices" and such matters. Except for a handful of comments, little has been said of what "black lives matter" really is and what is behind it.

Did many read the linked article?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

It was not a PC way of avoiding saying black, stop playing victim.

I drew parallels with communities I even see out in the country. It's(ghetto culture) the culture of poverty and disenfranchisement. You see it around the world.

Funny, I honestly was hoping that you wouldn't do what I figured you would do.... but you did. Listing 4 rappers as representative of the "top" of black community, not only shows a pretty substantial bias, but prevented me from reading any further. Unfortunately, it wasn't surprising.

And reactions like that are why nobody wants to sit down and discuss issues with the black community. Instead of trying to offer up a solution or a correction to the statement, the entire argument is disregarded. You expect me to be unbiased? How can I possibly be unbiased? I'm not black, I did not grow up in a ghetto, I am viewing things from the outside looking in and you refuse to bump the conversation in the right direction.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom