Not open for further replies.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The best way I can describe rap, is like wine. If you don't like wine, you haven't tasted enough of it. Jazz fans tend to like the jazz infused hip hop instrumentals, with no, or very little vocals.

And some people will never like wine, no matter how much they try. I've tried lots of wine... still not a fan.

On the other subject though... there have been a few that I've liked. But there are very few artists left that actually know how to write lyrics, across all genres.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The best way I can describe rap, is like wine. If you don't like wine, you haven't tasted enough of it. Jazz fans tend to like the jazz infused hip hop instrumentals, with no, or very little vocals.

Wine is not monotonous and annoying.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like this:

[video=youtube;gwXkqDzHxiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwXkqDzHxiM[/video]

Goes under a variety of names, Jazz hop, lounge hop, chill hop...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    This article addresses a lot of the issues raised in this thread.

Dallas Shooting & Philando Castile -- Opportunities for Humility | National Review

For example, why the BLM focus on cops killing blacks, when black on black crime leads to a massive death toll?

Conservatives, of all people, should understand that misdeeds committed by agents of the state are categorically different from the same acts committed by normal citizens. A father who slaps his son for no good reason, however wrong that may be, is very different from a cop who slaps a citizen for no good reason. This country was created, in part, because the founders were outraged by arguably slight infractions — taxes on tea! — against their liberties and dignity. Is it really so unfathomable that African-American citizens should be outraged or distrustful of government when they have good reason to believe the state is murdering young black men?

You might answer, yes, but as the Fryer (who is an African American professor, btw) study showed, once the police made a stop, there was no racial bias in who gets shot. True, but that same study showed that blacks were more likely to be maced, body slammed, splayed out on the ground, etc.

But Fryer also found that blacks are disproportionately victims of bias when it comes to non-lethal use of force by police, such as use of pepper spray, manhandling, and the like. Is it so unreasonable to assume that citizens who experience such bias would also believe that it extends into police shootings?

But, white liberals (and liberals of all colors) aren't blameless either. In opposing adequate police staffing and effective police methods, they actually create, or at least by status quo, support, the conditions that lead to deaths of so many in black-on-black crime. Witness the current difference in murder rate between Chicago and NYC. They were the same in the mid-80's to early 90's.

Most of the problems with black homicide — by police or otherwise — take place in cities run by Democrats for generations, yet Republican racism is always to blame.

Unfortunately, the current animosity means that an effective solution to both problems, black-on-black crime and cop shootings, is effectively off the table. The police strength "surge" and changed "rules of engagement" (similar to the Iraq surge) that was so effective in NYC, could not happen today, and, IMO, is exactly the recipe needed in places like Chicago. Such a surge would reduce overall crime, and in the more tranquil environment, lessen the incidence of cop shootings.

Can't happen now.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Like this:

[video=youtube;gwXkqDzHxiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwXkqDzHxiM[/video]

Goes under a variety of names, Jazz hop, lounge hop, chill hop...
    I think my wife actually has that on iTunes. She's more into the smooth jazz. Me, I listened to the whole song, but after 32 bars I knew everything that was coming next. I listened while hoping to be surprised. It's just not all that stimulating.

After learning to appreciate improvisational artists' ability to pleasantly surpise you with where they went next, it's harder to appreciate even the catchiest ditties.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think my wife actually has that on iTunes. She's more into the smooth jazz. Me, I listened to the whole song, but after 32 bars I knew everything that was coming next. I listened while hoping to be surprised. It's just not all that stimulating.

After learning to appreciate improvisational artists' ability to pleasantly surpise you with where they went next, it's harder to appreciate even the catchiest ditties.

Geez, I just pulled it off the net. I didn't look hard for something you'd like.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Geez, I just pulled it off the net. I didn't look hard for something you'd like.

Interesting. It's the kind of music my wife listens to. Here's a bit of monotony infused with enough improvisation to make it interesting. I actually don't mind when she plays it.

[video]https://youtu.be/yCFNzoFmcp4[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The best way I can describe rap, is like wine. If you don't like wine, you haven't tasted enough of it.
    Rap is like Guinness. Either you like it, or you don't. There's really no in-between.

Now, there are different flavors of rap, but only 1 Guinness. ("Blonde" Guinness is marketing BS.)

As a youth, I felt very much an outsider. The late-80s rap appealed to me because it expressed that sentiment in ways that I could somewhat relate to. I'd never been to Queens, but LL Cool J's lyrics still meant something. It wasn't about geography, it was about how the world was.

Good rap, even vulgar rap, is poetry. Not the Dr. Seuss or Shakespearean-sonnet poetry, more the rhythmic and rhyming spoken word stuff that's been part of human communications ever since people came up with words that sounded the same. Some of it stretches musicality, but if it makes a connection, that's what counts.

Bad rap is like bad jazz. It just sounds bad.

ETA:
    Oh, and in the late 80s/early 90s, "I Need Love" was ... helpful. :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The black cop who has a problem with 'Black Lives Matter' - BBC News

But Stalien expressed his frustration that his efforts to investigate black-on-black violence and bring the culprits to justice had met with outright hostility from the very community he sought to protect.
    "They called me 'Uncle Tom', and 'wanna be white boy', and I couldn't understand why," he wrote.
    "My own fellow black men and women attacking me, wishing for my death, wishing for the death of my family. I was so confused, so torn, I couldn't understand why my own black people would turn against me, when every time they called …I was there. Every time someone died….I was there. Every time they were going through one of the worst moments in their lives…I was there. So why was I the enemy?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why? Surely there are some that would feel the same way right? No, not all, but some?

Sure there are, but there's a strong history of media taking the opinion of one person, from one group, regardless of the group, and assigning that belief to all.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes, the media is a giant problem.
    It's a megaphone for the lowest common denominator because it draws attention and viewers.
    Industrial scale click bait.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Interesting... I almost feel like writing a rebuttal.... but I don't want the fame.

Why? Surely there are some that would feel the same way right? No, not all, but some?

I'd still like to hear Kut's rebuttal. I'm having a failure of imagination right now as to how that can be rebutted. The cop is kinda making an sort of emotional but very common sense argument. It's a kick in the groin to serve in one's own community and then be rejected by one's own community. And it is the highest hypocrisy to complain about how quick police can solve White murders compared to Black murders while they continue this ridiculous code of "snitches get stitches".

Sure there are, but there's a strong history of media taking the opinion of one person, from one group, regardless of the group, and assigning that belief to all.

And the rest of Americans.

And this is the problem with a collectivist mindset. It tends to treat groups as a single entities rather than the individuals who shape the diversity of opinions within the group. The NRA is evil. The NRA is God's gift to mankind. BLM is good. BLM is bad. Cops are good. Cops are bad. That doesn't represent diverse reality of everyone that is a part of those groups.

Individualism says, there is no such thing as society, there are individuals, and there are families.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

They said the same about Jazz. And Rock-n-Roll. It's not the genre, it's the content.

ETA: Rap doesn't need a societal reason to be bad. It's bad anyway. And I'm going to make a confession that probably won't set well with many INGOers. Country music isn't all that great either.

There. I said it. Classical/Baroque. Real Jazz. Classic Rock. Those are the only genres of legitimate music. So says Jamil.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom