What I learned from the DNC speeches last night...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally, I think there should be no prescription or restricted Drugs or Medications...

Darwin will take care of those that would abuse them...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I see three possible answers:

1. There is no connection whatsoever beyond coincidence.

2. The connection as previously suggested in interaction with the same criminals who also supply heroin, thus putting the marijuana smoker in the right place at the right time with the right people to encourage the use of hard drugs, so the connection is the people, not the weed.

3. Use of marijuana inherent to its nature leads to the use of hard drugs.

I am more inclined to think that it is the human bond, not the chemical bond that causes the 'upgrade' to hard drugs, hence I see a strong possibility that if marijuana users were not interacting with the people who supply the hard (and presumably more expensive) drugs, they may well be happy limiting themselves to marijuana for the rest of their lives.

For the record, I do not condone substance 'use' but at the same time have a problem with the .gov getting into the business of protecting people from themselves as this completely nullifies the concept of individual liberty, invites myriad abuses, and in the end in inherently unworkable.

Don't necessarily disagree with your opinion about government involvement.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    So, apparently, neither you, hacksawfg, nor you, NYFelon, subscribe to the "marijuana as a gateway drug" theory? I ask, because my father and his father were alcoholics and chain smokers, but never once, as far as I know, used heroin. Yet every heroin addict I've ever heard of started out by smoking pot.

Don't know if it's gateway or not. I know a lot of people who have smoked marijuana and NEVER touched heroin, cocaine, meth, etc. The only thing I can say is that both marijuana and heroin are illegal right now, somehow he still got access to both. Most adults are somewhat responsible with alcohol, but there are some who drive drunk and kill people. Is prohibition the answer? Do we make anything illegal that can possibly be addictive? While we're getting rid of stuff, lets get rid of cigarettes because I've lost two FAMILY members to lung cancer.

At some point we have to take a stand and say education on the risks of drug use is more important than outright banning marijuana. Think of how much better time and money could be used if instead of going after every pot farm in the middle of the state forests, and arresting every marijuana dealer/user they did more to go after the drugs that were REALLY dangerous to people, like meth, heroin, cocaine, etc. I don't know that I've ever heard of someone overdosing on marijuana.

Besides, just think of all the professional athletes' careers that could be saved!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    That is an unfortunate situation - at the same time marijuana and heroin are both already illegal. I've never smoked marijuana in my life, and I have no desire to. What I do think though, is decriminalizing it might help. If people are going to use marijuana anyway, at least let them do so without associating themselves with a criminal element to do so. I guess the fundamental question is what is root cause of situations like this - marijuana as a gateway drug, or the crowd that one may have to associate with to obtain it? Prohibition cause a LOT of crime, the only ones making any money were the mobsters, and they probably weren't paying taxes on it.

Oh yeah, I'm going to borrow from above and state MY positions:

I support the military, and think they should be home with their families NOW.

I oppose abortion, but don't think it's the US government's business to legislate.

I oppose big government.

I support the right to bear arms.

I support off shore drilling and the Canadian Pipeline, and government reimbursement of research costs if PROVEN TO WORK environmentally friendly proprietary technology is WILLINGLY (key word there) shared with other companies / made public in order to benefit all Americans and reduce dependency on oil (especially foreign).

I oppose same sex marriage, but if a church/state wants to allow it, it's NOT the governments job to interfere.

I support legalization and regulation of marijuana. Get the druggies out of prisons, and keep more violent criminals in them.

I support everyone's right to their religion or lack thereof.

I oppose open borders; legal immigration should be streamlined.

I support voter ID.

I support the death penalty and in cases where the perpetrator is caught in the act (i.e. the William Petit case), no appeals should be granted.

I support consumption based taxation. Get rid of the IRS, and give people more of their money to save or spend as they see fit.

I agree with you 100 percent on everything you wrote.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Michelle Obama last night:

“He brought our economy from the brink of collapse to creating jobs again -- jobs you can raise a family on, good jobs right here in the United States of America,........”
    From the liberal, Huffington Post:

• 3/5 of jobs created are low-wage
    • Most of the jobs lost paid middle-wages

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    My deepest condolences to you and your friends and family in this time of grief. The argument could just as easily be made that cigarettes or alcohol got him started on the road to his heroin addiction. I apologize for sounding cold and callous, but the gateway drug theory is nonsense. What quantifiable difference is there between alcohol intoxication or THC intoxication, non-pharmacologically? There's no such thing as "pot-muscles." Granted, either alcohol or marijuana may produce poor decisions based on the fact that they affect mood. However, I'm not aware of marijuana consumers starting bar brawls or becoming otherwise belligerent based solely on the nature of their intoxication. The same cannot be said for alcohol.

end threadjack

Sorry for your lost...My niece who was 33 died in her sleep on August 5th 2012 of a drug over dose, her 16 year old son found her. Her 9 year old daughter went to live with a dad she barley knows...her son got to stay with my sister. I preached to her all the time what do you love the most your drugs or your kids...we found out...Don't feel cold and callus for thinking that way, she seen other family and friends die because of drugs or end up in jail and ruin their life's over drugs..it is a matter of choice, period.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Look at the empty chair speech that Clint Eastwood made at the RNC where he said "We own this country". [and "Politicians are employees of ours." -pudly]

Now contrast that with the DNC version "Government is the only thing we all belong to".

The Obama campaign and the DNC have distanced themselves from this statement, but it appears that the rank and file buy into it. There are a lot of differences between the two sides, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that more completely summarizes the differences.

http://youtu.be/OHbNCWSVOjc

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The Obama campaign and the DNC have distanced themselves from this statement, but it appears that the rank and file buy into it. There are a lot of differences between the two sides, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that more completely summarizes the differences.

http://youtu.be/OHbNCWSVOjc
    So that means our chattels and $$$ are the property of the government. Sounds like it's time to fork it over to big brother...

Who was talking about gonna put y'all in chains?

I guess if the entire population is chattel, then we don't really have 'chains' (just totalitarianism).

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    They might be more like you, but they are far far far way from being like me.
    I support the military.
    I oppose abortion.
    I oppose big government.
    I support the right to bear arms.
    I support off shore drilling and the Canadian Pipeline.
    I oppose same sex marriage.
    I oppose legalization of marijuana.
    I support everyone's right to their religion.
    I oppose open borders.
    I support voter ID.
    I support the death penalty.

So please explain how Democrats look like me?:dunno:

It wasn't supposed to be that deep.
    I noticed that few delegates wore ties.

I support the military
    I don't like abortion
    I think the gov't could use a trim
    I support OSD if we can do it safely and responsibly and the states agree to it.
    As far as SSM, @ least somebody still values marriage.
    Alcohol kills more people than weed, and I don't oppose alcohol. I do support personal responsibility.
    Anyone who is anyone supports FOL.
    Voter ID is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, but if it makes you happy, I'll go along with it unless it suppresses legitimate voter turnout.
    I have doubts about the death penalty.
    Sooooooooooo, what am I?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How about my Arizona Oceanfront Property?!

I plan on triggering the San Andreas to slide California into the Ocean... :popcorn:

I'd pay top dollar!

I sense hostility :dunno:. Apparently political humor at everybody's expense is verboten in political forums?

With this post it's obvious hypocrisy sure isn't.

BTW, no hostility. I would have to give a **** first.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I don't have much to add here, other than the fact that gas was over $4.00 a gallon in May of 2008. Then, that fall before the election, the bottom fell out of the prices and they dipped to well below $2.00 for a bit. The only reason I remember this was because I had to drive a U-Haul truck to Indy from mid-Michigan when I moved here.

Don't get me started on what the price was when W. took office...

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Did anyone else find it interesting that Michelle had to basically introduce her husband? Seems like that should have been done 4 years ago. Oh that's right, we weren't supposed to know who he really was 4 years ago.

Funny how they had to change the outdoor event to indoor because they couldn't bus in enough people to make it looked like a full house like '08.

Don't even get me started on the abortion issue. Like Reagan said, "I've noticed everyone for abortion has been born."

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sandra Fluke just spoke. If you missed her, consider yourself lucky.

I did not realize women will be rounded up, put into chains if Obama loses.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Republicans have their fair share of cheats and crooks, but at least they are not the Island of Misfit Toys. I mean, Christ Almighty, 80% of the Dem speakers were extras from Revenge of the Nerds.

dnc-freakshow-tpc-i4307.jpg

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Neither party is good for Americans.. nothing will ever change, well.. nevermind.

It will, but none of us are going to like the outcome one bit.

I truly believe only a 3rd party can save America, but this will never happen either.

Top Bottom