What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    just a bit injured....H&K USP in 40 S&W...was a catastrophic failure to say the least...

read the story here... The Gun Zone -- The USP40 kB!s and AA#5

OUCH! I'm glad I was shooting a metal framed Sig! With gloves on. My only other kaboom was in the mid 80's, and it was also mostly metal gun. M-249 SAW.... talk about apples and oranges! I love my 1911 (even if it's a Taurus), but my M&P .40 is getting most of my full-sized range time these days.

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    OUCH! I'm glad I was shooting a metal framed Sig! With gloves on. My only other kaboom was in the mid 80's, and it was also mostly metal gun. M-249 SAW.... talk about apples and oranges! I love my 1911 (even if it's a Taurus), but my M&P .40 is getting most of my full-sized range time these days.

I have been shooting revolvers for about 25 years and never experienced a "kaboom". Is this more of an auto loader problem or am I just lucky so far?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I have been shooting revolvers for about 25 years and never experienced a "kaboom". Is this more of an auto loader problem or am I just lucky so far?

Plenty of revolvers have spontaneously disassembled themselves. Usually after dropping double charges while reloading or firing a bullet down an obstructed barrel.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I carried an M9 for 6 years. Shot a few thousand rounds through it and only had 1 malfunction that I can remember. Yesterday, I shot my brother-in-law's Glock 22. First time I've ever touched a Glock. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. The grip felt good in my hand, but I didn't like the lighter weight, or the recoil, or the trigger, and I couldn't hit crap with it.
    Not saying that the Glock is bad, maybe just a matter of preference. If given the choice, from my experience, I would carry a 1911 instead of a Glock.
    Doesn't really matter though, I'm in love with my revolvers and will probably never carry an auto again.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Both are subject to a kaboom.

Luck has a little to do with it. But I would guess following safe practices has more to do with it for you.

I do think auto loaders throw a few issues into the risk that a revolver doesnt. First, thru my experience, if the crimp on a revolver isn't enough and the bullet moves, I have found it usually" walks out " under recoil, not going back into the case possibly creating a drastic pressure issue like a auto loader can do. Secondly, some auto loaders aren't so well supported back by the feed ramp, where as revolvers support that area of the case better. Finally, I do think that since revolvers don't throw their brass everywhere, it's easier to make sure you don't accidently get a case that you don't know the history of. Seems like everytime I go to the range, I come back with a few cases that I don't know where they came from nor how many times they possibly could have been reloaded. If I go to the range with 100 twice loaded starline brass for my Ruger .44 mag, I come home with exactly 100 starline cases. :yesway:

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    Both are subject to a kaboom.

Luck has a little to do with it. But I would guess following safe practices has more to do with it for you.

I do think auto loaders throw a few issues into the risk that a revolver doesnt. First, thru my experience, if the crimp on a revolver isn't enough and the bullet moves, I have found it usually" walks out " under recoil, not going back into the case possibly creating a drastic pressure issue like a auto loader can do. Secondly, some auto loaders aren't so well supported back by the feed ramp, where as revolvers support that area of the case better. Finally, I do think that since revolvers don't throw their brass everywhere, it's easier to make sure you don't accidently get a case that you don't know the history of. Seems like everytime I go to the range, I come back with a few cases that I don't know where they came from nor how many times they possibly could have been reloaded. If I go to the range with 100 twice loaded starline brass for my Ruger .44 mag, I come home with exactly 100 starline cases. :yesway:

More good info. Thanks! :yesway:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's what sets glock kabooms apart. If you shove enough powder in anything it will blow up a fair number of glock kabooms have happened with factory loaded ammunition.

That's the second time on just this page someone has made reference to either a overcharge or double charge. I know basiclly too much powder will cause a kaboom in a heartbeat. But, I do wonder if anyone has any thoughts whether too much powder causes more Kabooms than " bullet-setback ? I ask this because I fear bullet set-back MUCH more than a accidently double charge. With the powders I use, a accident double charge isn't possible ( In my auto loaders, a revolver is a different story). I also verify ea round to make sure it does have a charge.

I just wonder how many times a over charge gets blamed when the catrosropic pressure was caused by the bullet being seated too deep. Once everything had grenaded, I can understand how it would be hard to figure out.

Last edited:

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    All things being equal. I would own a 1911. Unfortunately, they're not equal, for me anyway. I prefer the 1911 action, but I more prefer a lighter gun for carry.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    That's the second time on just this page someone has made reference to either a overcharge or double charge. I know basiclly too much powder will cause a kaboom in a heartbeat. But, I do wonder if anyone has any thoughts whether too much powder causes more Kabooms than " bullet-setback ? I ask this because I fear bullet set-back MUCH more than a accidently double charge. With the powders I use, a accident double charge isn't possible ( In my auto loaders, a revolver is a different story). I also verify ea round to make sure it does have a charge.

I just wonder how many times a over charge gets blamed when the catrosropic pressure was caused by the bullet being seated too deep. Once everything had grenaded, I can understand how it would be hard to figure out.

Mine was "bullet setback." Wolf didn't come out and specifically admit it, but they did apologize.

jbranham5173

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    mooresville,in
    the series 70 1911s are very reliable pistols,the series 80 wich most manufactures are building alot of are so-so.the marine recon and hrt have gone to 1911s and la swat went with a 1911 both went with kimbers built on the 70 series . but it does not matter what pistol it is its hard to beat the 45acp for knock down you dont even hollow points to get the results you want. but the main point is if it was not for john browning genius with 1911 alot of pistols would not be around today.
    keep your powder dry and enjoy shooting period whatever brand of weapon you have :rockwoot::ar15::patriot:

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I agree with this

All things being equal. I would own a 1911. Unfortunately, they're not equal, for me anyway. I prefer the 1911 action, but I more prefer a lighter gun for carry.

This is well said. I have a 5" and a 4.5" and I love them but I just got a glock 26 for concealed carry.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just sayin', I got nothin' against Glocks and their operators. However, it's apples and oranges.

The real deal is how many quote "statistics" vs. those who actually put them to test in class, on the range and at a match.

don't try being all logical Burl, that doesn't work.... and is boring.

If we got rid of all the Glock threads on INGO, we'd be at less that 500K posts :D

said it before and I'll say it again, I'm glad we still live in a country where we can argue about our favorite guns.... Britain and Australia no longer have that privilege. :ingo:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Here is an interesting chart from CCI showing pressure vs bullet seating depth for their .357 Sig round. With the .357 Sig being a higher pressure round, I would have thought that with enough set back it would turn into a grenade, however this graph shows that it never even comes close to the proof pressures.
    16i9ndk.jpg

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

I honestly don't know and am not aware of any statistics showing which causes more kabooms. You make a good point. I was commenting on the known cases of glocks kabooming with factory loaded ammo.

Top Bottom