What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Hello,

I know this is a revisit of an old argument.

However, it's been bugging me all night. I woke up with the idea in my head, and can't get rid of it.

The Glock is continually going through "updates" and new versions.

The 1911 and BHP were in their basic final forms years before the Glock was conceived.

I'm just not getting what a Glock or XD can really do that a pistol designed 75 to 100 years ago cannot.

In other words, I believe it's the man and his proficiency, not so much the weapon, that determines the course of a match or of a fight.

Josh

Not break my heart if it ever gets stolen. Thats what a Glock does for me

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I still think it comes down to this.

1. Your budget
    2. Do you want a steel, or polymer frame.
    3. Fullsize, compact, or sub compact.
    4. Single stack or double stack magazines.
    5. Trigger safety, manual safety, or a grip safety.
    6. Caliber
    7. More important, what is the most comfortable for you to shoot. You are the shooter, so you have to be the one that's happy. If a gun does not fit you, then there is no reason to own it.

I never thought I would own polymer framed pistols. Untill I bought my Xd. I do like the fact of them being lighter weight. When you carry every day, it makes for a more comfortable carry. I still like steel frames pistols. I will never get rid of my 92FS, I also still love the CZ 75B.

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    I still think it comes down to this.

1. Your budget
    2. Do you want a steel, or polymer frame.
    3. Fullsize, compact, or sub compact.
    4. Single stack or double stack magazines.
    5. Trigger safety, manual safety, or a grip safety.
    6. Caliber
    7. More important, what is the most comfortable for you to shoot. You are the shooter, so you have to be the one that's happy. If a gun does not fit you, then there is no reason to own it.

I never thought I would own polymer framed pistols. Untill I bought my Xd. I do like the fact of them being lighter weight. When you carry every day, it makes for a more comfortable carry. I still like steel frames pistols. I will never get rid of my 92FS, I also still love the CZ 75B.

Nicely put. :yesway:

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    This thread is rediclious....LOL

Boiled down to the lowest common denominator the glock does nothing that any other handgun can't do, 1911 or otherwise. That is go bang and put holes in the target, be that paper, pop can, or a more serious target. It all boils down to personal preferance and personal choice. All this bull crap about glocks being 110% reliable under any circumstance and the 1911 platform being a jam-o-matic all the time is just that - bull crap.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This thread is rediclious....LOL

Boiled down to the lowest common denominator the glock does nothing that any other handgun can't do, 1911 or otherwise. That is go bang and put holes in the target, be that paper, pop can, or a more serious target. It all boils down to personal preferance and personal choice. All this bull crap about glocks being 110% reliable under any circumstance and the 1911 platform being a jam-o-matic all the time is just that - bull crap.

dude, don't try to counter with logic, it doesn't work around here :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here is an interesting chart from CCI showing pressure vs bullet seating depth for their .357 Sig round. With the .357 Sig being a higher pressure round, I would have thought that with enough set back it would turn into a grenade, however this graph shows that it never even comes close to the proof pressures.
    16i9ndk.jpg

Thanks for the info. That is the round I most worry about, and also shoot the most. That short neck to hold the bullet has always made me pay extra attention. I am shocked thats all the increase you would see. Basically, it only spikes about 10,000 when seating as much as .100 deeper. Here I have been pulling them at .020 deeper. LOL But, I still wonder if that holds true depending what powder you use. I would think it would be more drastic the faster burning the powder you use is.

I always remember a notation in Speer # 10 that I still have laying around. In it, it gives an example for 9mm. It states in some powders, loads that produced 28,000 ( cup back then, not PSI ) went to 62,000 when seated only .030 deeper. Now, I don't know if that was a scare tactic, but I always made sure not to challenge it. LOL

I guess by comparing both examples, just goes to show you no two calibers are created equal.

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    I hate the 1911 vs Glock debate. That is why I prefer HK's. More trigger variations than you can shake a stick at, and rated for +P and +P+ by the factory. You can't beat that.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Shot polymer. No problems. Shot 1911, no problems. period. Maintain your weapons, get proficient. if you do both, either will be the best you have.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    It's like the Pepsi/Coke debate, except when peopel do that contest, they usually do it side by side in a blind taste test. I suspect that this type of testing should apply to handguns, but more often does not because (a) no one wants to fork over the cash to do said test and (b) a lot of people would look at the results and say "to hell with it" and stick with what they like, but shouldn't that be why you chose a pistol anyways?

If you are looking for a reliable pistol any of them will do. If your pistol becomes unreliable it is more often than not YOUR fault. Improper maintenance is to blame for a lot of failures.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    It's like the Pepsi/Coke debate, except when peopel do that contest, they usually do it side by side in a blind taste test. I suspect that this type of testing should apply to handguns, but more often does not because (a) no one wants to fork over the cash to do said test and (b) a lot of people would look at the results and say "to hell with it" and stick with what they like, but shouldn't that be why you chose a pistol anyways?

If you are looking for a reliable pistol any of them will do. If your pistol becomes unreliable it is more often than not YOUR fault. Improper maintenance is to blame for a lot of failures.

I wanted to try this test with the lights out too.........but Pepsi objected! :dunno: :D

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Thanks for the info. That is the round I most worry about, and also shoot the most. That short neck to hold the bullet has always made me pay extra attention. I am shocked thats all the increase you would see. Basically, it only spikes about 10,000 when seating as much as .100 deeper. Here I have been pulling them at .020 deeper. LOL But, I still wonder if that holds true depending what powder you use. I would think it would be more drastic the faster burning the powder you use is.

I always remember a notation in Speer # 10 that I still have laying around. In it, it gives an example for 9mm. It states in some powders, loads that produced 28,000 ( cup back then, not PSI ) went to 62,000 when seated only .030 deeper. Now, I don't know if that was a scare tactic, but I always made sure not to challenge it. LOL

I guess by comparing both examples, just goes to show you no two calibers are created equal.
    I think you are correct. I was surprised when I saw that graph, too. I would think that a load with a smaller volume of faster powder would be much worse. The pressure on this graph peaks when the powder starts to become compressed. The more room for the bullet to set back before that happens the more likely the kaboom.

Top Bottom