What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Probably met G32 or the service sized G31 ? G19 is the 9mm and I don't think a conversion barrel swings from that to a ..357... At least as far as I know. You can go the other way tho.

I have a G22 and G35. Service and tactical sized. Longer yet. Very controllable. I am not a huge fan of the .40. Far as I'm concerned, I could only shoot the .357 and .45 and be perfectly happy.
    I'm sure you're correct, I should have said his .357 is the same size as my 19, a G32 I guess it would be then.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One more thing before I go. I have owned a couple Glocks. They ran fine but I never really shot them that much. I just dont care for the grip angle. Its almost a Ginger vs Mary Ann thing. :dunno:

Oh, I woulldn't disagree with that. it took me awhile to get to like them too. I'm a little old school. I don't remember back in boot camp my DI asking me if the rifle fit me to my satisfaction... Or if there was something I prefered over the 1911.... While I think it is important to choose something that does feel comfortable to you and that can can shoot accurately, IMO ,at times it can be a bit overblown. After all, just look at our troops. They are the best of the world at what they do. Handing them something and letting them learn to become proficient with it has worked. :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I actually find the .40 to have more...
    ...The .357 does have much more muzzle blast tho.

Just sayin', I got nothin' against Glocks and their operators. However, it's apples and oranges.

The real deal is how many quote "statistics" vs. those who actually put them to test in class, on the range and at a match.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just sayin', I got nothin' against Glocks and their operators. However, it's apples and oranges.

The real deal is how many quote "statistics" vs. those who actually put them to test in class, on the range and at a match.

I don't need statistics... I can tell by which one makes my head pound after so many rounds. LOL

It is apples to oranges. The calibers I am basing my thoughts on aren't as prevalent in the 1911 platform. Also, I am talking about capabilities of such rounds from a reloaders standpoint.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It can carry more ammo, eevr see 33 rd 1911 r BHP mags?
    Try breaking them completly down and reassemble in under a couple minutes.

28 rounds of 45 should be enough...

drum1.jpg

As for battering...ya'll know they do make different weight springs for 1911 fore a reason. If a 1911 will take thousands of rounds of 45 Rowland without battering then it can handle just about any handgun cartridge.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    This thread is still going, so I'll jump back in.

How many people who experienced a KaBoom where injured? I had my Sig P220 go KaBoom (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/67551-sig_p220_and_wolf_kaboom.html, Wolf took full sponsbility, bullet seated too deep) and all I had was two minor cuts and a hand that stung like a mofo. I'm not sure what the result would have been if I were firing one of my polymer pistols, but I'm betting it would have been much worse. Granted, a Sig 220 is not a 1911, but it's closer to one than a Glock.

A kaboom can happen to anyone for a variety of reasons, but I'm glad I was firing a metal framed pistol when that one happened to me. That said, my EDC is usually a Kahr PM45...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

How many people who experienced a KaBoom where injured? I had my Sig P220 go KaBoom (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/67551-sig_p220_and_wolf_kaboom.html, Wolf took full sponsbility, bullet seated too deep) and all I had was two minor cuts and a hand that stung like a mofo. I'm not sure what the result would have been if I were firing one of my polymer pistols, but I'm betting it would have been much worse. Granted, a Sig 220 is not a 1911, but it's closer to one than a Glock.

A kaboom can happen to anyone for a variety of reasons, but I'm glad I was firing a metal framed pistol when that one happened to me. That said, my EDC is usually a Kahr PM45...

Folks whose polymer guns KB seem to usually make out about as well as folks who have it happen with metal guns. Usually blows down through the magazine well, or splits near the top of the frame.

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    The 1911 has been killing Nazis, Commies, Japs, Terrorists, Jihadists, and all the other enemies of America for 100 years.

Glocks have been carried by cops into donuts shops for only a few short year in comparison.

Great Quote....would make a great avatar. I own each but I want to point out that the 1911 was in our arsenal for 74 years. Also, seems every Marine I talk to would like to see it back in out arsenal over that garrison ready pea-shooter Berreta 92F 9MM.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

How many people who experienced a KaBoom where injured? .

The once experience that happened a few lanes down from me, the shooter was not injured. Granted, he was shaken and probably in need of a pants change, but only complained of a sore hand. He said it felt like a balloon swelling up and flew out of his hand.

I will admit all day long that a steel frame gun will afford you and your gun more chances than a poly would in a case of a kaboom. Thoses poly frame / hand grips just dont like that kind of pressure running thru them. Just don't ask me which will afford you more life when it comes to slide frame impact. LOL

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And to add ...The troublesome aspect of a kaboom imo is the forces running thru that grip. Remember, even a 9mm while small, does operate as a high pressure round. A normal and safe round might operate up to 32,000 psi for a non +p round. Now in a kaboom, depending on the cause, it's feasible that pressure in you hand could approach maybe even double.

I'll defend poly's until I'm blue in the face on one issue, but will say I would feel much safer with a steel framed gun in my hand if the azz end of a case blew out while shooting.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I want to point out that the 1911 was in our arsenal for 74 years. Also, seems every Marine I talk to would like to see it back in out arsenal over that garrison ready pea-shooter Berreta 92F 9MM.
    Actuatly, it's still in our arsenal. ;)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    uh huh... and every single guy that had to kill one with his pistol would have rather had a rifle in his hand...

nice try though, it was almost funny ;)

So what's your point? If they'd had Glocks they wouldn't still have rather had a rifle?

I thought his really WAS at least funny and even had a point. Try to get one or the other at least. My point is in a situation requiring a rifle, a Glock is no better than any other hand gun in existance. Calling a draw on the Glock vs 1911 in situations requireing a rifle.

Top Bottom