What Can a Glock Do That a 1911 or BHP Cannot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I wonder why at the beginning of this video where the pistol is being rinsed off, the background is green with grass and vegetation and its obviously warm out. Then during the test fire portion there is snow on the ground??

That is a really good point. I never noticed that. That guy rinsing off the gun is wearing short sleeves. They're all bundled up during the test. Why wait a number of months between digging it up and testing it?:dunno:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    That is a really good point. I never noticed that. That guy rinsing off the gun is wearing short sleeves. They're all bundled up during the test. Why wait a number of months between digging it up and testing it?:dunno:

You guys know what it is like in Indiana, during the first shot while digging you can see leaves all over the ground which indicates the fall drop. It is not uncommon to go from nice to snow the next day. My guess is they dug it up and headed to the range a couple days later.:twocents:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    You guys know what it is like in Indiana, during the first shot while digging you can see leaves all over the ground which indicates the fall drop. It is not uncommon to go from nice to snow the next day. My guess is they dug it up and headed to the range a couple days later.:twocents:

It's possible. Though it doesn't often go from T-shirt weather to winter coat whether in a day or too.

HICKMAN said:
    Was wondering the same thing, but the rusted piece of plastic still fired.

Anyone dug up a 1911 and shot it yet?

I don't think too many people are stupid enough to bury a 1911. Not to mention that this kind of torture test is completely useless.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't think too many people are stupid enough to bury a 1911. Not to mention that this kind of torture test is completely useless.

disagree, there may be a time when buried guns need to come back out of the ground.

But then again, I guess you wouldn't dare pull a trigger on a 1911 that had been buried for a year.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    "Useless" :dunno: but it does show what a GLOCK can do that a 1911 or BHP cannot, which was what the title of this thread asked.

Go ahead and hate away :):

It's not hating. I think it is useless when sig does it. I think it's useless when anyone does it. Post a video os someone doing it with a 1911 or a XD and I will still call it useless.

HICKMAN said:
    disagree, there may be a time when buried guns need to come back out of the ground.

But then again, I guess you wouldn't dare pull a trigger on a 1911 that had been buried for a year.

Sure, there may be some extreme day when such thing will be necessary. However, are the guns that you have/will/might bury simply stuck in a hole somewhere? Can't you imagine ways to preserve them better? If that's the case this test doesn't do much for practicality.

Apparently I need to elaborate on my statement. I appreciate high round count tests. Things like 1,000 as fast as possible or 40,000 in a month or two and similar. They replicate the wear a gun will see in it's normal condition it is most likely to be used in. I can see dirt/water tests as useful. It is nowhere near impossible that I may drop my handgun one the ground, in mud or a puddle and need to pick it up and use it.

What I see no use in are these outlandish tests that are without possibility of encountering in the real world. I will never need to use a gun after I've thrown it out of a airplane, drug it behind a truck, froze it in a block of ice, drove over it, shot its slide with a .22, etc. I don't know if the guns I carry could handle all that because I've not tried it nor saw it tried. Most importantly I don't care if they could handle it because I will never need them to handle it. I know they will handle any plausible scenario I will put them through. Anything more is useless. :twocents:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    It's not hating. I think it is useless when sig does it. I think it's useless when anyone does it. Post a video os someone doing it with a 1911 or a XD and I will still call it useless.

Sure, there may be some extreme day when such thing will be necessary. However, are the guns that you have/will/might bury simply stuck in a hole somewhere? Can't you imagine ways to preserve them better? If that's the case this test doesn't do much for practicality.

Apparently I need to elaborate on my statement. I appreciate high round count tests. Things like 1,000 as fast as possible or 40,000 in a month or two and similar. They replicate the wear a gun will see in it's normal condition it is most likely to be used in. I can see dirt/water tests as useful. It is nowhere near impossible that I may drop my handgun one the ground, in mud or a puddle and need to pick it up and use it.

What I see no use in are these outlandish tests that are without possibility of encountering in the real world. I will never need to use a gun after I've thrown it out of a airplane, drug it behind a truck, froze it in a block of ice, drove over it, shot its slide with a .22, etc. I don't know if the guns I carry could handle all that because I've not tried it nor saw it tried. Most importantly I don't care if they could handle it because I will never need them to handle it. I know they will handle any plausible scenario I will put them through. Anything more is useless. :twocents:

I disagree. Forty years ago I was shot at(and hit) by rounds from an AK that had just been retrieved from being buried in the muck of a rice paddy for concealment.He did not bother to rinse it off before pulling the trigger either! :ar15: :dunno:

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    I, for one, like a little class in my carry piece. I have no prejudice against Glocks. They are fine tools. I just don't like them personally.

Now a 1911, on the other hand, is a beautiful weapon that has successfully withstood the test of time. If it was good enough for our soldiers to use for 75 years of combat, then it is sure good enough for me to use for personal defense.

Also, I believe that the "tendency" for 1911's to malfunction is due largely to the overwhelming market of shoddy magazines. Sure, my 1911 has had FTF's, but all of those issues were attributed to said shoddy magazines.

if Glocks had anywhere near the amount of aftermarket magazine designs and manufacturer choices, I guarantee you'd hear more than a few cases of Glocks not being 100% reliable.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

we all know that we'd try and do the best to preserve them, if it ever came to that. But we also know that plans don't always work out.

I have to problem admitting I'm an AK/Glock kind of guy. I don't want/need the most precise tool, but I want the inexpensive one that works every time.

Others prefer 1911's and AR's. Nothing wrong with any of them.

Years from now when my kids are grown and I'm not broke all the time, I'll have some of the fancier tools.

:patriot::ingo:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It pains me to say it, but I will say I think the Glock may be more rugged and able to take abuse than the 1911. It's simpler, fewer parts, half of it is plastic that doesn't rust, the metal parts have a superior treatment.

It makes me physically ill to have to list positive Glock attributes. I must go lay down now

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    Glocks can shoot well and are reliable. That is all I can say for them. They cannot look or feel good like a 1911. The Glock has no soul. ;)

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    It pains me to say it, but I will say I think the Glock may be more rugged and able to take abuse than the 1911. It's simpler, fewer parts, half of it is plastic that doesn't rust, the metal parts have a superior treatment.

It makes me physically ill to have to list positive Glock attributes. I must go lay down now

You sound like me now. I had a couple of glocks when I was younger and quickly left them for bigger and better. I cant understand why alot of people like them soo much but then again maybe they dont get why I like the guns I like so much

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You sound like me now. I had a couple of glocks when I was younger and quickly left them for bigger and better. I cant understand why alot of people like them soo much but then again maybe they dont get why I like the guns I like so much

All depends on what you like whether A Glock fan would understand. I actually do understand why many like what they have. It just all depends on whats important to them.

As for Glock, the thing about them thats most important to me is their longevity ( barring a kaboom of course) and the beating they can take. Now, I say this as a reloader that feels I follow safe practices and take precautions ( use aftermarker barrrels in calibers I'm not happy with the chamber support). I really like the fact for $500.00, I can reload calibers such as 10mm and .357 sig to their full POTENTIAL and the gun takes it ! I have shot enough to be a believer the the Glock is one tough gun. And if I am wrong and ever do wreck one, within a hour I can have another one that looks and functions the same right out of the box. :D

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I disagree. Forty years ago I was shot at(and hit) by rounds from an AK that had just been retrieved from being buried in the muck of a rice paddy for concealment.He did not bother to rinse it off before pulling the trigger either! :ar15: :dunno:

I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for your service. I was speaking to situation that would be practical for me. I have absolutely no plans on hiding a gun in a rice patty. Though if I did it would probably be an AK.

HICKMAN said:
    we all know that we'd try and do the best to preserve them, if it ever came to that. But we also know that plans don't always work out.

I have to problem admitting I'm an AK/Glock kind of guy. I don't want/need the most precise tool, but I want the inexpensive one that works every time.

Others prefer 1911's and AR's. Nothing wrong with any of them.

Years from now when my kids are grown and I'm not broke all the time, I'll have some of the fancier tools.

I certainly appreciate ruggedness. Glocks certainly are that (Joe, I feel a little queasy now as well. :stretcher:) It is their best attribute. Everything gets a pros/cons list with me and right now the "Fancier" tools get the nod. Well, the XD's don't really fit the fancier label but 1911's do. :D

Actually, a G20 is still on the want list. Other guns just keep bumping it down. Did you hear about the new XDm45? :rockwoot: :p

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

It's okay Joe. 1911's have better triggers and are more accurate ;)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Glocks can be mass produced and marketed and sold for very low prices to customers who know very little about firearms. Gaston Glock knows very little about firearm design (but does understand marketing very well). His previous business was building curtain rods and cabinet hinges. If you love Glocks, good for you. There are greatly superior handguns out there though. Glocks have been very successful in the U.S. for the simple reason that most law enforcement agencies use them (because they get them really cheap) and so many people believe if cops use them they must be good. Nothing could be further from the truth. Would you buy a Crown Vic because the cops use them? Most cops know almost nothing about firearms (I say this because I have trained more than a few of them.) All they care about is tacticool lightweight high capacity and cheap.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Wow.
    I have enjoyed this thread, the jokes, the opinions, the kabooms...

But Drail, that post has me speechless.
    It is the reason these glock vs 1911 threads go down the road to Lock City.
    Every line in the post above has downright false statement wrapped in facts.

Lest just take the first line for example.
    Glocks can be mass produced and marketed and sold for very low prices (true fact) to customers who know very little about firearms. What? I know a lot about firearms and I have a Glock. Everyone who owns a Glock is not dumb. We have our reasons.
    Now it's OK to say you hate Glocks.
    It's even OK to hate Glocks
    I say I hate HK's all the time and there are plenty of people who love 'em.
    To each his own.
    But, I would hate to see this thread go downhill at this point.

Top Bottom