• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    The key thing to remember is losing weight is a marathon not a sprint. Slow and steady making good choices will cause you to lose weight slowly but surely over time. If you can add some exercise that is the cherry on top of making healthy food choices.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Slow and steady is right. Most suggest no more than 2 lbs a week. I also think the keto diet is not really that good for you unless you suffer from child epilepsy. For the most part, you overwork your kidneys and it is not something that you will keep up with for a lifetime.

Since losing weight is not rocket science and the simple fact that more calories going out than coming in will make you drop weight. I suggest counting calories and eating what you like so you can maintain the same foods you like for weight maintenance once you get to the weight you like. I am older and my job is sedentary so my maintenance calories are 2500 a day, for every 500 less per day equals to one pound a week so I am eating 1500 calories a day and whatever calories I burn working out means extra food.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Good lord, I ate 2 slices of pizza hut pizza last night, the meatlovers with the stuffed crust, today I am 5 pounds heavier and completely constipated, how much preservatives do they put in there meat!!!!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I feel like a gangsta. My pants hang off my hips now and I sag like a mo fo.

If only I could afford some new jeans...:):

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Ok, I'm actually gonna go step on the scale now. I've only been working out for about two weeks now. I have no idea what I weigh, but know I need to lose at least 80 pounds.
    My goal? Make it through a competition kata (3 minutes) without huffing and puffing like a steam locomotive.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    We talk about SHTF at work sometimes. I have another school of thought that I like to tease the super thin runners about: when society fails I can go for several days on my reserves, the twigs will be dead by nightfall. Of course I'm joking, but these guys have so little fat and such a high metabolism, if they don't eat every 2-3 hours they'll pass out. So, get fit but don't try to look like a Kenyan.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We talk about SHTF at work sometimes. I have another school of thought that I like to tease the super thin runners about: when society fails I can go for several days on my reserves, the twigs will be dead by nightfall. Of course I'm joking, but these guys have so little fat and such a high metabolism, if they don't eat every 2-3 hours they'll pass out. So, get fit but don't try to look like a Kenyan.

You have a real good point, but I would not use that to justify too much weight as it will be counter productive. That may work better when you are younger but if you are overweight and older and sedentary, you will just be in that much more trouble.

The younger guy that ended up trekking out for help in this true story was the guy with some baby fat.
    Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors

I will keep stressing no more than 2 lbs a week, most suggest 1 lb. For me, by the time I get down to around 200 lbs my calorie intake for 2 lbs a week would be around 1200 and I do not do well with that little food so usually drop to 1 lb a week so I can add 500 calories a day to the 1200.

Usually, when you first start, you will drop 6 to 8 lbs fairly easily, mostly due to water loss if you stop drinking all the big drinks with sugar.

One of the girls at work was paying for weight watchers and I showed her the Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com website (free) and overnight she checked it out and liked it better than weight watchers and dropped her WW subscription. I cannot say enough for how well this works. I used the same thing 10 years ago and dropped 50 lbs. I am now down what it says below. I had a disappointing week or two of no loss then bam! Dropped to where I should be. It works and at the end you will still be eating what you like to eat (as long as it stays withing the calorie count) to maintain your weight.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I lost another pound making it 78, but I just had a bowl of Red Lobsters Lobster Bisque, and a stead with mash potatoes. So I'll prolly gain about 3 pounds from that.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I was however able to stave off all but one of the cheddar biscuits. I may have willpower, but they are Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was however able to stave off all but one of the cheddar biscuits. I may have willpower, but they are Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits.

As long as it fits in my calorie count, I eat the biscuits. Love em. I sometimes get RL for carryout and save the biscuits and the next day, I make sure I eat a small enough breakfast and lunch to eat some biscuits. Mmmmm.

I have kind of plateaued right now but am also doing strength training. The bad thing is that I still need to lose fat, the good thing is I am down a waist size.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been over on my calories twice in the last week, but I've lost about 2 pounds in the last week.

Unless you know your real resting metabolic rate, you may be over or under doing it a little. Besides, it is not going over one or two days that will hurt, it is the total count over a period of time.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I just discovered this thread and congrats to everyone who is working to lose weight and get into shape. I wish more people in our state would wake up to what they are doing to their bodies. A trip to Kroger often leaves me shaking my head when I leave.

I lost 30 pounds in 2007. (205 to 175) by just stopping all of the junk food and walking at least 3 miles 5-6 times a week. I got lucky with my 2nd wife and married a RD, so I get the stink eye everytime I bring home doughnuts.

Top Bottom