• ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Keyser, do I see an INGO Weight Loss/Fitness Challenge coming? :D

I only wish that there was a place where everybody could get together to train and work out together. That would be fun.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have always eaten the paleo diet, because that is what we had to eat, growing our own food. Beef, chicken, pork, peas, tomatos, green beans, melons, lettuce, cabbage, some corn, some potatos. I'm 5'7" sit on my ass for most of the day and weigh 150 lbs. I'm 31 years old, so I'm sure that helps.

My poor wife on the other hand can't go one meal without eating something with a ton of sugar or carbs in it, and really struggles at losing weight even though she has cut her calories and tries to run at least 5k at least once a day.

I keep telling her to ditch the frozen dinners and ice cream, but she doesn't want to take the time to cook. It's not even that hard to scramble some eggs and fry up some bacon, but it's easier to just pop a frozen dinner into the microwave.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Keyser, do I see an INGO Weight Loss/Fitness Challenge coming? :D

I only wish that there was a place where everybody could get together to train and work out together. That would be fun.

I'm down. I'm sure there is somewhere around the loop we could meet. I suggest a overall transformation challenge rather than weight loss.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Great job OP, and you're going to continue losing pounds! :rockwoot:

Err, now, I want to lose 30, and it seems like a huge task. The only way I see to make it work for me is running shoes. We have a great treadmill, and a gym won't fit our budget at the moment. I've just bought a second pair for rotation on different days for running...

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'll play. Comments, then my experience, then my new diet to be contested and discussed as it sounds great to me.

Comments: Great work Sadclownxp, keep it up. Also, Soze, great explanation of ketosis and how it work and how to do it. It isn't easy, but it is effective. The tough part is coming out when you go back to "eating normal." If you change permanently, great, but it isn't realistic for some people. I don't know how many people have went Atkins / Ketogenic and then gained it all back coming out. Everyone should have a clear plan on how to come out of the diet and not regaining the weight.

Experience: I was 320 when I graduated college. I lost 50lbs in 90days doing P90x completely by the book. It was just basic exercise with a good diet. I was eating tons of food, always full, and the weight fell off like crazy. It wasn't a gimmick, it was just eating right and working out. P90X is a good structured way to get in shape and lose weight, but you certainly don't need it, and it certainly is not anything special or magical like some people claim. I'm currently down another 10-20lbs and working on a newer diet I heard about recently. I hadn't ever heard of it before, and I still can't find it via Google. Let me explain it, and read it all the way through. I can't find fault, and it's the easiest diet to maintain that I've ever found. It is NOT a ketogenic diet, and it really is easy and effective thus far. Here's the explanation...

New Diet:

Background:
    In my somewhat recent ECQC class we had three members from the Swedish military. These were very high up guys (director of combatives, director of small arms training, and another similar level that I forget) who flew in and attended the training. That Saturday night we went to a restaurant and I sat by one of the guys and he told me about a diet he had been doing. His claim was the Swedish military consisted mostly of people on this diet, and even the Swedish people are doing this diet on a large scale basis. Sounded interesting so I paid attention. This is the first time I've put it in writing.

Many diets claim you should eat a big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner...this diet is backwards. The idea for the diet came from a study of how humans used to eat. The hypothesis (prior to investigating) is that as cavemen we would wake up, eat little to nothing and head out looking for food. Along the way we would forage for berries or nuts or plants along the way. If the caveman got hungry he found something to nibble on all the way through the day. By evening he would have secured an animal killed it and then a large meal would be cooked for dinner. After gorging on food he would fall asleep as it's night-time and predators are out at night. The caveman would sleep on a full stomach (which is a modern day no-no) and eat little to nothing throughout the day (another modern day no-no).

Based on this, the diet they came up with mirrored this idea that our digestive systems and other systems have been evolved to support this type of food and timing schedule.

What To Eat:
    The diet and food eating part is simple. You wake up and eat something small for breakfast. Something similar to the paleo diet. Fruit, nuts, dairy if you really want. I've found trail mix works great for me. You don't eat to stuff yourself, just enough to get your metabolism started and body going for the day. If you get hungry before lunch, eat a few more nuts or an apple or something. For lunch, eat the same thing again. More trail mix, banana, etc. Initially you will be hungry throughout the day, but if you keep this up for 2 weeks that hunger will subside and you will become accustomed to having very little food all day. For dinner, you eat what you want. If you eat a good dinner you will lose weight faster, if you eat crap for dinner you'll lose it more slowly. The main key is you can eat what your family is eating and not try to stick to your salad / ketogenic / paleo BS food at dinner. Simple.

Why it works:
    Ok, here's the cool part. Your body can store food in primarily one of two ways (simplified): fat or glucose. I realize it may not be glucose but for the sake of discussion it can store the food for long term energy later (fat) or shorter term energy you are going to use quickly (glucose). If you eat a big breakfast, and are moving / running / working your body needs that energy so it burns the energy from your breakfast and your fat sits on your stomach unused. Same for lunch, same for dinner. If you eat three square meals a day, you will burn that energy and the only way to lose weight is to simply burn more calories than you take in each day. Simple, and in agreement with what everyone said about calories in / calories out.

What if we turn this on it's head? We eat enough for breakfast and lunch to keep your body going and don't let it get hungry and go into "starvation mode" but NOT enough food to use as energy all day long. The only place your body has to get it's energy from at that point is stored fat. All day long you are burning fat reserves because there isn't enough food from breakfast and lunch to burn. When you eat dinner you eat a big meal of pasta or whatever. Then you lounge around and go to sleep on a full stomach. Your body doesn't need that energy so it stores the food as fat. The next day you do it again and you wake up and go all day with your body burning fat. Dinner gets stored as fat, all day long you burn fat. You change to a fat-only machine rather than a mix of carbs and fat. If you eat normally you are burning some carbs, storing some carbs, and still storing fat from dinner.

The same holds true that you have to take in less than you burn, but it's easier now because breakfast and lunch don't have many calories taken in. Even if you stuff yourself at dinner you're unlikely to eat more calories than you burn in a day and it's easier to hit that "burn more than you eat" limit.

The other major benefit (and it really is major) is consistent energy. I eat trail mix for breakfast and lunch and it doesn't matter if I sit here in my cubicle all day or if I work out or if I do a weekend long FoF. I have equal energy. If you eat a big lunch you feel lethargic. If you eat a big breakfast you are full, then you are starving again later. If you are burning fat you burn as much or as little as you need for your energy demands. I did the FoF class burning lots of calories and felt neither hungrier or more tired than when I sit at my desk all day. It takes a week or two for this to settle but once it does there are no ups and downs. You don't have your blood sugar spiking after a meal and then dumping when your pancreas pumps up the insulin. It is truly constant energy. It doesn't make sense if you just hear part of it, but when you put together the caveman thinking, the idea of a constant energy source (fat on your body), take out the ups and downs of big or small breakfasts and lunches, and add in the fact that you can eat about whatever for dinner the diet sounds pretty promising. I don't like making breakfast and lunches get expensive so I keep bags of nuts and trail mix at my desk. If I get hungry, I eat a handful of almonds or cashews. Lunchtime? Small pack of trailmix. I've been going to Sams and buying the parts and mixing my own trailmix (raisins, crasins, almonds, cashews, a few chocolate chips) and eating that mostly.

I feel healthier, more alert and awake, have more energy, and avoid the ups and downs. The weight is coming off a couple pounds a week and I'm eating a normal dinner with the wife without worrying about my diet. It's easy to follow and it truly works. I can't find a fault with the logic or science (except that Fat and Glucose idea is grossly oversimplified) but it seems to work. I've done searches and can't find a diet that matches even though the Swede told me there are a few of these diets by different names that are similar in the US. I like it, and my family has started and is having similar results. If you get through the week or two of feeling kinda hungry throughout the day (and you can always eat a little more if you need to) then you'll likely be a believer.

Those with diabetes will need to watch your blood sugar as I don't know how this would work or not work from that standpoint. I would think from an energy perspective you would be fine, but I don't know if your blood sugar would also stay more consistent. That's over my head and I just don't know for sure.

Feel free to ask any questions about this, but for now I'm convinced and it's by far the easiest diet to follow I've heard of. Hope this helps someone. Damn this ended up long.

Last edited:

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I'll play. Comments, then my experience, then my new diet to be contested and discussed as it sounds great to me.

Comments: Great work Sadclownxp, keep it up. Also, Soze, great explanation of ketosis and how it work and how to do it. It isn't easy, but it is effective. The tough part is coming out when you go back to "eating normal." If you change permanently, great, but it isn't realistic for some people. I don't know how many people have went Atkins / Ketogenic and then gained it all back coming out. Everyone should have a clear plan on how to come out of the diet and not regaining the weight.

Experience: I was 320 when I graduated college. I lost 50lbs in 90days doing P90x completely by the book. It was just basic exercise with a good diet. I was eating tons of food, always full, and the weight fell off like crazy. It wasn't a gimmick, it was just eating right and working out. P90X is a good structured way to get in shape and lose weight, but you certainly don't need it, and it certainly is not anything special or magical like some people claim. I'm currently down another 10-20lbs and working on a newer diet I heard about recently. I hadn't ever heard of it before, and I still can't find it via Google. Let me explain it, and read it all the way through. I can't find fault, and it's the easiest diet to maintain that I've ever found. It is NOT a ketogenic diet, and it really is easy and effective thus far. Here's the explanation...

New Diet:

Background:
    In my somewhat recent ECQC class we had three members from the Swedish military. These were very high up guys (director of combatives, director of small arms training, and another similar level that I forget) who flew in and attended the training. That Saturday night we went to a restaurant and I sat by one of the guys and he told me about a diet he had been doing. His claim was the Swedish military consisted mostly of people on this diet, and even the Swedish people are doing this diet on a large scale basis. Sounded interesting so I paid attention. This is the first time I've put it in writing.

Many diets claim you should eat a big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner...this diet is backwards. The idea for the diet came from a study of how humans used to eat. The hypothesis (prior to investigating) is that as cavemen we would wake up, eat little to nothing and head out looking for food. Along the way we would forage for berries or nuts or plants along the way. If the caveman got hungry he found something to nibble on all the way through the day. By evening he would have secured an animal killed it and then a large meal would be cooked for dinner. After gorging on food he would fall asleep as it's night-time and predators are out at night. The caveman would sleep on a full stomach (which is a modern day no-no) and eat little to nothing throughout the day (another modern day no-no).

Based on this, the diet they came up with mirrored this idea that our digestive systems and other systems have been evolved to support this type of food and timing schedule.

What To Eat:
    The diet and food eating part is simple. You wake up and eat something small for breakfast. Something similar to the paleo diet. Fruit, nuts, dairy if you really want. I've found trail mix works great for me. You don't eat to stuff yourself, just enough to get your metabolism started and body going for the day. If you get hungry before lunch, eat a few more nuts or an apple or something. For lunch, eat the same thing again. More trail mix, banana, etc. Initially you will be hungry throughout the day, but if you keep this up for 2 weeks that hunger will subside and you will become accustomed to having very little food all day. For dinner, you eat what you want. If you eat a good dinner you will lose weight faster, if you eat crap for dinner you'll lose it more slowly. The main key is you can eat what your family is eating and not try to stick to your salad / ketogenic / paleo BS food at dinner. Simple.

Why it works:
    Ok, here's the cool part. Your body can store food in primarily one of two ways (simplified): fat or glucose. I realize it may not be glucose but for the sake of discussion it can store the food for long term energy later (fat) or shorter term energy you are going to use quickly (glucose). If you eat a big breakfast, and are moving / running / working your body needs that energy so it burns the energy from your breakfast and your fat sits on your stomach unused. Same for lunch, same for dinner. If you eat three square meals a day, you will burn that energy and the only way to lose weight is to simply burn more calories than you take in each day. Simple, and in agreement with what everyone said about calories in / calories out.

What if we turn this on it's head? We eat enough for breakfast and lunch to keep your body going and don't let it get hungry and go into "starvation mode" but NOT enough food to use as energy all day long. The only place your body has to get it's energy from at that point is stored fat. All day long you are burning fat reserves because there isn't enough food from breakfast and lunch to burn. When you eat dinner you eat a big meal of pasta or whatever. Then you lounge around and go to sleep on a full stomach. Your body doesn't need that energy so it stores the food as fat. The next day you do it again and you wake up and go all day with your body burning fat. Dinner gets stored as fat, all day long you burn fat. You change to a fat-only machine rather than a mix of carbs and fat. If you eat normally you are burning some carbs, storing some carbs, and still storing fat from dinner.

The same holds true that you have to take in less than you burn, but it's easier now because breakfast and lunch don't have many calories taken in. Even if you stuff yourself at dinner you're unlikely to eat more calories than you burn in a day and it's easier to hit that "burn more than you eat" limit.

The other major benefit (and it really is major) is consistent energy. I eat trail mix for breakfast and lunch and it doesn't matter if I sit here in my cubicle all day or if I work out or if I do a weekend long FoF. I have equal energy. If you eat a big lunch you feel lethargic. If you eat a big breakfast you are full, then you are starving again later. If you are burning fat you burn as much or as little as you need for your energy demands. I did the FoF class burning lots of calories and felt neither hungrier or more tired than when I sit at my desk all day. It takes a week or two for this to settle but once it does there are no ups and downs. You don't have your blood sugar spiking after a meal and then dumping when your pancreas pumps up the insulin. It is truly constant energy. It doesn't make sense if you just hear part of it, but when you put together the caveman thinking, the idea of a constant energy source (fat on your body), take out the ups and downs of big or small breakfasts and lunches, and add in the fact that you can eat about whatever for dinner the diet sounds pretty promising. I don't like making breakfast and lunches get expensive so I keep bags of nuts and trail mix at my desk. If I get hungry, I eat a handful of almonds or cashews. Lunchtime? Small pack of trailmix. I've been going to Sams and buying the parts and mixing my own trailmix (raisins, crasins, almonds, cashews, a few chocolate chips) and eating that mostly.

I feel healthier, more alert and awake, have more energy, and avoid the ups and downs. The weight is coming off a couple pounds a week and I'm eating a normal dinner with the wife without worrying about my diet. It's easy to follow and it truly works. I can't find a fault with the logic or science (except that Fat and Glucose idea is grossly oversimplified) but it seems to work. I've done searches and can't find a diet that matches even though the Swede told me there are a few of these diets by different names that are similar in the US. I like it, and my family has started and is having similar results. If you get through the week or two of feeling kinda hungry throughout the day (and you can always eat a little more if you need to) then you'll likely be a believer.

Those with diabetes will need to watch your blood sugar as I don't know how this would work or not work from that standpoint. I would think from an energy perspective you would be fine, but I don't know if your blood sugar would also stay more consistent. That's over my head and I just don't know for sure.

Feel free to ask any questions about this, but for now I'm convinced and it's by far the easiest diet to follow I've heard of. Hope this helps someone. Damn this ended up long.

Sounds like "the warrior diet" Essentially fast during the day and one giant meal in the evening?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Sounds like "the warrior diet" Essentially fast during the day and one giant meal in the evening?

Similar. I'm reading about it now. Shares some common principles. Perhaps this is one of the close-to diets he was talking about. He explained it like it was written so I was hoping it wasn't total BS.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Today I hit a milestone. As of 1:39 pm central time, I have lost 70 pounds so far this year. And I am damn happy about this.:rockwoot:

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    If this is an official INGO event you will have to submit a urine sample for steroid and HGH analysis...

:):

I'm clean. Couldn't afford to be otherwise. A proper cycle with cycle support and post cycle therapy will run you $600. I hope 10 years from now when my testosterone production falls way off it will be legal.

June 1st would be a good start date for transformation contest.....Would need before and after pictures front and back relaxed ....Holding a dated newspaper would be better

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My focus now, is losing the gut, which is why I have been counting the calories.

I was more focused on maintenance with muscle mass. However you are right, I was very concerned with losing muscle from the calorie deficiency.

When I was in hard core bulk up mode (in college few years back) I ate like it was my job... Tuna, chicken breast, steaks, etc, etc...

If it wasn't for my bad back I might be able to keep up with the heavy weights. I'm doing lighter weight higher reps now just to try and keep in shape.

I'm going to give your diet a try. I will let INGO know how it goes. :ingo:

Gut? Drink beer? This time I am giving up alcohol all together until I hit my target weight. If you want to build muscle and lose fat, give up alcohol.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    with all the BBQ's today is gonna suck for me. my brother is grilling ribs, and venison brauts. I get to eat my Nutrisystem chili. Losing weight sucks right now.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    with all the BBQ's today is gonna suck for me. my brother is grilling ribs, and venison brauts. I get to eat my Nutrisystem chili. Losing weight sucks right now.

That's too bad. :):

I'm lovin' the keto diet.

So far today, I had bacon, sausage, and eggs.

Then, I just grilled out enough food to feed a small army. It will be my food for the week.

3 ribeye steaks, 2 filets, 8 hamburgers, 10 oriental chicken skewers, 4 brats, 4 large portabella mushroom caps.

mmmmmmmm, tasty. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom