• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    Went to pick up my VEPR today and....the rear sight rail is crooked, almost identically to the photos posted earlier....also from MAA...

Come to think of it, the rear sight also looked a tad off. Needless to say, it's still sitting at the store. I tried calling MAA and their phone business hours are M-F only. Sent an email already, hopefully they check that on the weekends. I'm not terribly happy considering the $$ spent and the MAA website saying "all firearms sales are final." I hope that doesn't apply to unsat guns and exchanges.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Well shoot, that's apparently 2 that are screwy. I'm guessing you can't post any pictures as you don't have it in your possession. Mine arrived a few days ago, i just haven't gone to get it yet. I'll post pictures when i do. I won't be able to hit the range for a week for testing though. Good news is I'll have my 8rd Izzy mag to test out as well.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Shot m Vepr-12 toda, and found my Saiga lacking. :D

I got the gun yesterday and cleaned and lubed it; I've had great results using Mil-Comm tw-25b grease on all my AK pattern guns, so that's what I used on the Vepr.

Started out with Federal bulk from wal-mart. After 50 rounds, I found that the muzzle thread protector had loosened.

At 70 rounds the LRBHO started to become "hit or miss" with the bulk ammo and stayed that way for all 175 rounds of bulk. I was able to reproduce it 90% of the time when firing as fast as possible, but it occasionally happened during slow fire as well. No issue with feeding, ejection with the Wally bulk.

Switched to Federal "Game Load" high brass (#4 shot) for 50 rounds; perfect function. 60 Winchester Value Pack slugs were perfect too. No issue with feeding, ejection, or the LRBHO with either of the higher powered ammo. No signs of overgassing, and I didn't' have remember to adjust the gas system! :rockwoot:

After firing 285 rounds the puck still moved freely inside the gas block :yesway:

I modified a SGM mag for a Saiga that sorta worked; I removed too much when grinding down the tab on the front so it has a tendency to fall out. Bummer, but it works fine as long as I hold it in. :rolleyes: I'll be ordering some $98 8 round OEM's... Hell, I may sell my Saiga to fund several mags.

1027121549.jpg

1027121548a.jpg

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    What about the safety? I've heard mixed reviews. Excellent write up so far.

Mine's stiff, as is the safety.

It didn't irritate me as others have mentioned, but I did notice that I need to put a radius on the BHO tab inside the trigger guard. It seems to protrude more than the one on my Saiga, but I rounded that one when I did the conversion so time may have healed that wound..

At any rate, the safety didn't seem to loosen up. It's easy to apply the safety, but it's hard to take off. My main issue is the fact that it operates in reverse if one operates it with the trigger finger. Jury's still out on the safey for me...

eta: the fit and finish on mine is outstanding (especially by AK standards) and the rail appears to be straight.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Any slap on the trigger? Is it a single or double hook? I'm thinking a RSA trigger may be in order if it sucks.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Any slap on the trigger? Is it a single or double hook? I'm thinking a RSA trigger may be in order if it sucks.

Single hook, and I didn't notice any slap. It is a looong pull, and kind of gritty. I imagine the standard S-12 buff job will eliminate the grit.

It also has a pin retaining plate (like a tapco) instead of a shepherd's hook; I don't recall if my S-12 had the plate from the factory. :dunno:

It appears that a Red Star (or tapco) trigger would fit, but my Vepr has an additional piece in the trigger mechanism that I don't think I've seen before. Might have been on an unconverted S-12, but it doesn't seem to have a purpose...

1028120952.jpg

1028120954.jpg

Also... the "button" that extends down through the receiver actuates the BHO mechanism when pushed up; I'll probably grind the tab that pokes into the trigger guard area down to where it's flush with the receiver.

1028121007a.jpg

1028121007.jpg

1028120955.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It appears that a Red Star (or tapco) trigger would fit, but my Vepr has an additional piece in the trigger mechanism that I don't think I've seen before. Might have been on an unconverted S-12, but it doesn't seem to have a purpose...

I have read a thread elsewhere that reported a Red Star trigger being installed in a VEPR 12, so your assumption sounds correct.

Also, these caught my attention when I was drooling over Saiga 030's mods, so I will likely have to get one for my VEPR 12:
    EXTENDED MAGAZINE RELEASE SAIGA 12 & VEPR 12

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    Picked mine up from Tac47 on Friday.
    I have not yet had a chance to fondle her yet. I will need to sneak it in . Mine has the black laminate wood with no buttplate or pad.I went to the gunshow yesterday and all of the TAC 47 vepr12's had the black laminate wood on them.
    They allready cut one down into a SBS . It was very cool.
    Where are you getting the izzy 8rd mags at ?
    I want to get atleast 1 .

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Mammy/Clay, are your mag changes faster with the magwell/LRBHO/bolt release combo now?

yes, even though I haven't fully wrapped my head around holding an AK pattern weapon, then changing mags like an AR (sort of an unholy marriage of AR and AK manipulations), then releasing the bolt like an AK... still, it's faster for me than a standard AK mag change as I still fumble "rock and locks" more often than I like to admit. :rolleyes: It's especially true when compared to loading an S-12 on a closed bolt.

the mags leap out of the magwell even with the bolt to the rear. :yesway:

Top Bottom