• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I picked mine up today. I have two issues so far, first I noticed the finish is messed up (like it didn't set) on the barrel by where the hand guard is, and the rail on the dust cover is pretty crooked. It tilts to the left side pretty badly. I haven't really had time to mess with it, but I'll get some pictures when I can.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I honestly was expecting a little bit better quality of the "accessories" and finish, but I figure I will probably change most of that out anyways when there are more options.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'll be sure to look mine over well. For a $grand I won't accept any obvious flaws. I thought Vepr was supposed to be up there with Arsenal in quality & finish?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I picked mine up today. I have two issues so far, first I noticed the finish is messed up (like it didn't set) on the barrel by where the hand guard is, and the rail on the dust cover is pretty crooked. It tilts to the left side pretty badly. I haven't really had time to mess with it, but I'll get some pictures when I can.

That sounds very disappointing. I would be sending it back for the amount of money dropped on these.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I didn't really know what to expect since I have never had any type of AK before. I like the gun itself just the handguard and stuff is pretty cheap. The finish does seem like its fairly durable.I would like to find another option for the safety lever as I don't really like the design but like I said I'm new to the AK stuff so idk if you can even change that.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Here is a couple pics. I could probably live with the finishing flaw on the barrel, but the crooked pictany rail is too much. You guys think MAA will take care of it?

10-25-12005.jpg
    [/IMG]
    10-25-12004.jpg
    [/IMG]
    10-25-12006.jpg
    [/IMG]

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I'll try and break it down.

Run of the mill Saiga 12: Price unconverted/Converted 600/$989

Rock n lock magazines (not magwell, drop free mags)

No last round bolt hold open

you regulate the gas system by changing the settings manually

Gas block as well as other parts is cast metal

Standard dust cover (not hinged)

standard AK safety lever

Molot Vepr 12: Price FACTORY converted...or unchanged from the factory $999

Hinged dust cover with a picatinny rail

Original Molot Polymer Pistol Grip

Original Molot Polymer Lower Handguard

Original Molot Polymer Upper Handguard

Molot Self-Regulating Gas System

Domestic Black Polymer rear buttstock may vary

Original Molot Competition Magazine Well

One Original Molot Factory 5 round Magazine

Molot Factory AK adjustable rear sight

Molot Original AK enhanced safety lever, single finger operation

Factory chrome lined barrel, chamber, receiver shaft and gas chamber

Factory last round bolt hold open

Factory threaded barrel (thread pattern is the same as Saiga)

Factory machined bolt assembly, gas blocks etc. (not cast like other AK shotguns)

The price for what you get is insane. The closest competition is the saiga 030, but those come to the states needing to be converted so you still have the old trigger holes and what not. Yes most of the features are the same, save a few cosmetic differences, but the build quality should be way better on the Vepr. Molot is regarded as the best Russia has to offer...sort of the Noveske of the Ak world. The price of a converted 030 is $1,200, and that's with a tapco stock, etac trigger guard, and tapco saw grip...yuk. Even if the Saiga 030 was imported in its factory condition (not neutered) they should still be cheaper than a Molot Vepr 12. Like i said...i wouldn't bat an eye to drop $1500 on one and consider it a good deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawokI-6eb4&feature=related

Save yourself $200.00 and get the real deal.

too much spare time lol
    ready to ride this weekend!!!!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Here is a couple pics. I could probably live with the finishing flaw on the barrel, but the crooked pictany rail is too much. You guys think MAA will take care of it?

10-25-12005.jpg
    [/IMG]
    10-25-12004.jpg
    [/IMG]
    10-25-12006.jpg
    [/IMG]

WOW!!! That is some crappy workmanship right there. I can't believe they sent that to you:noway: I have never dealt with MAA, so I can't say. Best of luck though.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Is it the rail that is canted or is the sight not properly seated causing it to lean?

Well the rail is def angled to the left, mainly at the rear of the cover. And now that you mention it, I think the rear sight is angled to the right a little. It could be my eyes messing with me because of the rail, Ill check for sure later. And the dust cover is on good, the rail was just installed crooked on the cover. It remains the same when pop the cover up on the hinge.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Got my Vepr! Pics will follow, but first I need some help.

While checking it out at Falls City Firearms, the puck fell out when removed the upper handguard. Of course, I have no idea which way it's supposed to be orientated. "Nipple" towards the front, or "cup" toward the front? I would think it would be the latter, but... help a brother out; it's not in my manual.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    it will only work one way.

the 'piston' on the bolt carrier needs to go into the cup, the nipple goes towards the front.

if you put it in the other way the bolt wont close.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well small update on my Vepr 12.

I went to the range today after work and had exactly 20 minutes to do anything before I had to be somewhere.

I had exactly 25 round of cheapie winchester bulk pack ammo to try, so it was really plenty of time.

I picked the winchester bulk because my S12 is very temperamental/inconsistant with the winchester unless the gas block and piston are SPOTLESS, which it is rarely good enough. Everything else seems to be OK, so I used this as a reference.

Im pleased to say I had 25 round of flawless fun, well, to a point.

the first 2 mags ran fine, but failed to activate the bolt hold open. It worked when I pulled the bolt back on an empty mag.

The last 3 mags had a different issue, all 5 rounds went boom, the last round stovepiped on the way out the ejection port and was caught by the bolt coming back forward, so the BHO didnt activate then either.

I think its either one of 2 possibilities: 1) ammo doesnt have enough power to send the bolt back enough to catch in the open position, OR 2) the shotgun just needs more time to break in.

I have another option I will try as well. I have a lower power recoil spring in my S12 which helps with cycling the same ammo. If it will fit, which it all looks the same, then Ill try that next time out. Ill also grab a couple more packs of the bulk ammo to see how it does with more rounds through it. The only thing that sucks is being limited to 5 round mags. Thats a lot more reloading time than trigger time ;)

Top Bottom