• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My VEPR 12 is in my possession. Oily, but everything looks straight, solid, and nice. I will dive into it tonight.:rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Just went and checked mine out and the dust cover rail is canted.

It is not as bad as the one pictured earlier in the thread, but it is noticeable.

Mine came from Atlantic, I am going to contact them and see what they say before I have it transferred.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I tore my gun completely down tonight and removed all the factory oil, cleaned everything up, lubed the internals, and re-assembled the gun. I did not get a chance to shoot it (got dark on me outside). But I am extremely pleased with the action on my gun. The action is reasonably smooth given that it has not fired a round yet. The trigger has a little gritty feel, but again it hasn't been fired. Unlike what others have reported, I was actually pleased with the action of the safety. Firm but smooth and crisp actuation. I was kind of worried about the safety lever extension being uncomfortable and difficult to manipulate given what others have said. Personally, I like it on my gun. On safe it rests up against my trigger finger up by my knuckle. I slight upwards motion and it goes to the fire position, again, smooth and crisp. Raise the trigger finger and pull it back down and it is back on safe. I like it.

I'm looking forward to shooting it one evening this week.:smileak:

I think I'm going to keep mine relatively stock. When options for handguards become available, I might look into something different. Not that he ones on it are bad, but they are a little cheap feeling relative to everything else on the gun. So we'll see what options present themselves over the coming months. If nothing else I'll add a Magpul rail and AFG to the underside of the existing handguard. The Tapco stock is nothing fancy, but it works and feels solid. I'm not a folder fan, so I will probably keep the stock it has. Need to add a muzzle device soon ... the thread protector just looks lame.

Nothing fancy for photos, crappy Blackberry photos actually, but you get the picture.

IMG-20121029-00200.jpg

IMG-20121029-00203.jpg

IMG-20121029-00204.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Mine has been at the FFL for about a week now, but i should be picking it up tomorrow if all goes well. My 8rd izzy mags arrived today. I'm dismayed to hear about the canted rails. does anyone have a picture from the inside? I'd like to see if it's a canted block issue or if the rivets on the inside of the cover are off.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Mine has been at the FFL for about a week now, but i should be picking it up tomorrow if all goes well. My 8rd izzy mags arrived today. I'm dismayed to hear about the canted rails. does anyone have a picture from the inside? I'd like to see if it's a canted block issue or if the rivets on the inside of the cover are off.

Yours and Mine both buddy, Hoping to meet up with him tomm to get it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the guys over at the molot factory all have severe OCD.

I think izhmash hires all the applicants that molot rejects. Having a saiga 308 and vepr x54r sitting side by side, it's pretty clear they both do the same job equally well it's just that the vepr is the rolex of AK pattern rifles.

I'd like to get a vepr 12 eventually but it appears they will be around for awhile and I doubt they will be going anywhere soon since there's a massive market demand. The x54r was what I was really waiting for anyway, there's only one word to describe that rifle and I've never used it to describe a rifle before... A perfect piece of art and mechanical precision.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My VEPR 12 is in my possession. Oily, but everything looks straight, solid, and nice. I will dive into it tonight.:rockwoot:
    Picked mine up on Sunday and all looks good and straight (Atlantic). I had ordered an extra 5 rnd and several 2 round mags but the 12 round are opn hold apparently. Note in the box has them shipping later.

I agree with the others that the front handguard feels a little cheap and I am not crazy about the pistol grip either. I think I may order one of the orig. wood stocks to add a little heft and improved looks.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Picked mine up on Sunday and all looks good and straight (Atlantic). I had ordered an extra 5 rnd and several 2 round mags but the 12 round are opn hold apparently. Note in the box has them shipping later.

I agree with the others that the front handguard feels a little cheap and I am not crazy about the pistol grip either. I think I may order one of the orig. wood stocks to add a little heft and improved looks.

I will say that after 275 rounds w/o much of a break that the hand guard didn't get hot.

I asked Atlantic if the metal butt plate tha shipped on the polymer stock would fit on the wooden one; they replied that they had no idea if it would. :dunno:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I doubt it will fit. I haven't taken the end off the wooden stock yet, but there should be a recess cut at the back end of the wooden stock for the metal butt plate to fit over, and I dont see it on the wood stock. Ill put it tonight and take a look since I have a few extra butt plates I could throw on if they would fit.

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    yes, even though I haven't fully wrapped my head around holding an AK pattern weapon, then changing mags like an AR (sort of an unholy marriage of AR and AK manipulations), then releasing the bolt like an AK... still, it's faster for me than a standard AK mag change as I still fumble "rock and locks" more often than I like to admit. :rolleyes: It's especially true when compared to loading an S-12 on a closed bolt.

the mags leap out of the magwell even with the bolt to the rear. :yesway:

You don't have to release the bolt like a regular AK if the bolt is locked back. All you need to do is insert a loaded mag and push up on the BHO tab that sticks down by the trigger guard and the bolt slams shut. I saw in you post earlier that you were thinking about cutting the tab off, I wouldn't recommend it for the reason I just stated.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I think he was recommending a reprofile. On all my saigas I press the lever closed then mark the area still sticking out with a pencil. I then remove it and grind it down so it fits almost flush when pressed. On saiga's it's the BHO not the bolt release. Some times the lever gets pressed and it holds the bolt back accidentally in the middle of firing. The reprofile makes it comfortable and not so easily engaged accidentally. For a Vepr12 it would just be for comfort.

EDIT: i just reread what he said, and i don't know how in the hell i gathered that from what Mammy was saying...I think i'm coming down with something...IT's good info though so i'm not going to erase it and act like it didn't happen.

I got mine today. Here she is. All straight and true (Atlantic). On top you'll see a c-more as well as an Izzy 8rder. The Cmore isn't staying as i hope to sell it here in a bit, but i wanted to see what a Cobra optic would look like on it and this is a close enough representation.
    picture.php

Also, i like the handguard. Saigas don't have a heat shield either. If someone wants to sell me theirs, i'd like to try to mill in a magpul rail on the bottom and two side pieces just to see if it can be done.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I picked up mine today. Also shipped from Atlantic. I have to say it definitely has a slight cant to the left as the others have seen, but I am not sure I would have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it directly out of the box.

I'll try to post pictures later. Overall, pure Russian awesomeness. Covered with oil and love the brown wax paper it's wrapped in.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    My buddy picked his up yesterday and said everything was straight on his too (Atlantic), and it ran light loads without any problems. MAA replied to my first email on Friday, and said they contacted the distributor and are waiting to hear back. I'm not sure what to think here, if they get a lot of people in my situation, what do you think they will do?? I guess I'm that f'n guy.. The buzzkill.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    With anything russian you run the risk of "vodka specials". For Saiga 12's issues were prominent from cycling issues, to too few ports drilled, ejecting issues, hidden ports, threading issues etc. For those issues Cadiz Gun Works in Cadiz Oh. were the ones who handled all the claims. The good thing was you could get everything worked out fairly quickly and easily. The bad thing was if you converted your gun the warranty was gone. These are already converted so there shouldn't be the same issues. You may have to wait a bit for a warranty place to be decided as we are the first to get them.

This is all a guess.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I ran 20 rounds through mine today while home at lunch and standing in the rain. All Remington low brass 2 3/4" trap loads. Cycled perfect on every round.I hope to run some heavier loads through it in the next few days. I am very impressed with my gun so far.:rockwoot:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Molot Vepr 12: Price FACTORY converted...or unchanged from the factory $999

Hinged dust cover with a picatinny rail

I wouldn't call this a "rail." I've had tippmans with better rails on them. It appears to be riveted on and plastic. ANNNNNNNND canted.

So what is everyone going to do with their canted rail? I can't see paying shipping for a $2 part. Anyone going to drill and tap the dust cover?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom