• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I see that two or perhaps three guys are doing the heavy lifting in here and that is making me feel lazy and as if I am not pulling my weight. Also, another story was requested a few screens back. Kawtech put up a valiant effort, but was not supported enough to prevail with his crowd-participation story line.

Now I am finding the time to tell a story. This is a TRUE story. In fact it is more than a story, it is a mystery worthy of Scooby-Doo and his gang too! I will relate an episode from my misspent youth, true events from the episode of Twilight Zone that is my life.

Back, WAY BACK when I was in high school, my cronies and I were the Rock-And-Roll kids at Howe High School. It was our habit to carve the names of epic rock bands into as many desks as possible. Our arch enemies. the ditty-bop crowd (or in other words, the girls) were on a mission to carve the name of the one group that would render any desk barren, unable to to be shared by the tough and manly groups that was our genre of music. This band was the much reviled group known as ABBA!

It wasn't long before it became necessary to reclaim that barren expanse of desktop to be used in the honor of REAL rock and roll. We started adding three letters of our own, thus rendering the girlie group forever crushed. To the name ABBA, we simply added an s, and th. of course this turns ABBA into sABBAth, or better known as BLACK SABBATH.

As this battle raged, there was soon noticed another four lettered moniker that was completely unknown, it was INXS. Huh? inksis? Who the heck is that, and where can we hear them to determine if they will be allowed to exist on our nicely carved landscapes? We asked each other, our older brothers and the underclassmen but NOBODY could shed some light on who INXS was and whether or not they sucked.

This went on for my entire four years of high school. I graduated, which was rather unexpected for a rock and roll kid. I went on to get married and have kids of my own. I often thought of the unknown band INXS, that was imprinted on my memory from those days. The mystery remained until the eighties, and MTV. WOW!! Here is INXS!! It was a clever play on the words "In Excess"..... They were a fair-to-middling band, drugs and questionable sexuality were evident, as was harsh guitar riffs........ Yes, they were ok, they could share the desks of my youth.

Now, here comes the rub........ I graduated high school in 1977. One day thinking about high school, I Googled INXS. Here you go; INXS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Now if you read wikipedia, INXS was not even formed until 1977! Furthermore, this was in Australia! They didn't even cut an album until 1980, and then as I said before, it was in AUSTRALIA. I swear that we were seeing INXS carved into our rock and roll desktops in '75 and '76! I am looking at my diploma right here, plainly marked 1977. Who the heck would have advanced knowledge of a (kind of) obscure rock band who was'nt even famous until the "80s? Time-travelers? Aliens?

It was commonly known that Howe High School was haunted. As a student I know that it was universally understood that there were demons in those halls. As a matter of fact, that school was closed and left fallow for many years. All alumni understand that it was hoped that the demons would get bored and go to Tech, where they belonged. So what gives? This is plainly a ripple in time. What else could the four capitol letters I-N-X-S have possibly stood for in the early to mid '70s? Especially in the context of the alters to rock and roll that each desk was? With various band names inscribed, and INXS among them? several years before they even existed? This conundrum has bothered me many years.

I present this to the wise followers of Tin Can............... Explanations, please.......................

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Go away. If you have a ****ing problem with this thread, don't click on it. Don't you ****ing DARE come into MY thread with 15 posts and act like you have a ****ing voice.

Get out.

C'mon, man!! He came in here with a THREE word reply, rather than a ONE word reply. Who are you to derail his desperate, hell-bent-for-leather run at that super awesome Jennings in the classifieds?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Obviously, hipsters.

Hipsters? Well.......... Yes, OBVIOUSLY.......... But I don't remember any hipsters. We had rockers, ditty-bopers, preppies, jocks, punks and druggies. (and various combinations of all these) I think hipsters would stand out enough to be recognized.

There was an extensive intelligence campaign launched to infiltrate the cult of INXS......... With no results. Hipsters are cool, real cool......... but not cool enough to remain undetected for three years. I sure don't think so anyway.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hipsters? Well.......... Yes, OBVIOUSLY.......... But I don't remember any hipsters. We had rockers, ditty-bopers, preppies, jocks, punks and druggies. (and various combinations of all these) I think hipsters would stand out enough to be recognized.

There was an extensive intelligence campaign launched to infiltrate the cult of INXS......... With no results. Hipsters are cool, real cool......... but not cool enough to remain undetected for three years. I sure don't think so anyway.
    Don't let the word "hipster" trip you up.
    A hipster is somebody who likes something BEFORE it's mainstream and "cool" enough to be known very much.
    In other words, you can't really even say that a hipster is a hipster because that would be too mainstream, and therefore nullify said hipsterism.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Don't let the word "hipster" trip you up.
    A hipster is somebody who likes something BEFORE it's mainstream and "cool" enough to be known very much.
    In other words, you can't really even say that a hipster is a hipster because that would be too mainstream, and therefore nullify said hipsterism.

Your explanation reminds me of an observation that I have made over the last twenty years, Kids today are conforming with the trend of nonconformity by getting tattoos. A tattoo once was a bold statement of Independence and radical thinking. Now that independent radicalism is the latest craze, all the kids are doing it. Tattoos are now an almost universal trait in this generation.

Even still, To be a loyal follower of a band that won't even be formed for several years and then a continent away brings "Avant Garde" to a new level.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Guess I should have used purple...YIKES...take 10 deep breaths & calm down!
    :D

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown" - Shakespeare

The weight must be getting to him, if we all contributed more substantially to this institution (that is, the thread) then he could relax some. (I bet he forgot to post his rebuke in purple too)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom