• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who wins between Lesnar and Carwin on July 3rd?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I do like to see a few of the technical guys show their skill like Koschek, Nog, and BJ Penn. The heavies tend to abuse their brute strength and power rather than focus on their technical skills. IMO the 155 and 170lb guys are the best to watch but you can't beat the crushing power of the big boys.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I do like to see a few of the technical guys show their skill like Koschek, Nog, and BJ Penn. The heavies tend to abuse their brute strength and power rather than focus on their technical skills. IMO the 155 and 170lb guys are the best to watch but you can't beat the crushing power of the big boys.

Nog and Penn? Absolutely.

Koscheck? He's a wrestler that completely abandoned his strength and now constantly throws looping overhands with a few jabs mixed in...Not exactly technical if you ask me.

LOL, 4-1 Block Lesnar is now the #1 HW in the world.

Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings

What a long road he's traveled to get to here.:rolleyes:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Bazooka, I agree that Koscheck has abandoned his strength but when he uses his wrestling he still has some of the best takedowns I have seen. He was the first to really out class Diego and still shows his skill but not enough like you say. IMO, he is one of 3 guys at 170 who can give St. Pierre fits but nobody is beating him anytime soon.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    speaking of kosjoke is there a fight in recent history when he hasn't been getting the crap kicked out of him then magically he claims low blow??? he's like the vlade divac of mma.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No, but it's pretty clear that Fedor isn't the best (current) HW anymore.

It looked to me like he got Werdum pretty good before he got caught in the submission. I just think that Werdum lucked into a good position and held on, I wouldn't say that getting caught one time means you're not the best. Like Fedor said after that fight, he's a human being and sometimes you lose one. I still think he's the best heavyweight and that if he fought Werdum 100 times, he'd win 99 of them. The other night was the one time.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It looked to me like he got Werdum pretty good before he got caught in the submission. I just think that Werdum lucked into a good position and held on, I wouldn't say that getting caught one time means you're not the best. Like Fedor said after that fight, he's a human being and sometimes you lose one. I still think he's the best heavyweight and that if he fought Werdum 100 times, he'd win 99 of them. The other night was the one time.

When you have guys that are at the elite level of Werdum they have the ability to catch you on the smalles mistake. Fedor has looked to have been getting beat only to come back several times but this time he was caught. I think they fight again and Fedor wins by first round TKO but a simple mistake can be another defeat.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Bazooka, I agree that Koscheck has abandoned his strength but when he uses his wrestling he still has some of the best takedowns I have seen. He was the first to really out class Diego and still shows his skill but not enough like you say. IMO, he is one of 3 guys at 170 who can give St. Pierre fits but nobody is beating him anytime soon.

Meh, he won a not-very lopsided decision against him. BJ Penn is the first person and only person to "outclass" Diego.

Jake Shields is the only person I can think of that would give GSP fits, but he fights at MW now. I could see him dropping down and giving GSP a run though.

speaking of kosjoke is there a fight in recent history when he hasn't been getting the crap kicked out of him then magically he claims low blow??? he's like the vlade divac of mma.

Not low blows, it's eye pokes...He's done it his last 3 fights and every replay shows him faking it. I seriously can't believe nothing has been done about it.

Werdum admitted in his post fight that he faked the knock down. He said he's been practicing it for months. If you watch the replay, you can see it played it to perfection. Great tactic if you ask me.

I don't think it's just this one fight that makes Fedor not the best, I think it's the fact that he's been dodging top competition for the past 3 1/2-4 years.

Give me one good reason why he shouldn't have been fighting for the HW title in either of his last two fights in Strikefarce? That division is so shallow that Brett Rogers, coming off of a LOSS to Fedor fought Overeem instead of Fedor.

IMO that's a F-ing JOKE.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Meh, he won a not-very lopsided decision against him. BJ Penn is the first person and only person to "outclass" Diego.
    I have to disagree as I felt Koscheck ran the show the whole fight with Diego. I do agree that B.J. worked him and I loved every second of that beating.
    Jake Shields is the only person I can think of that would give GSP fits, but he fights at MW now. I could see him dropping down and giving GSP a run though.

Shields would be a good fight for St. Pierre but I still think St. Pierre wins. IMO, Koscheck gave him a good fight but St. Pierre showed his dominance but not like he does to most people.

Not low blows, it's eye pokes...He's done it his last 3 fights and every replay shows him faking it. I seriously can't believe nothing has been done about it.

Werdum admitted in his post fight that he faked the knock down. He said he's been practicing it for months. If you watch the replay, you can see it played it to perfection. Great tactic if you ask me.

I don't think it's just this one fight that makes Fedor not the best, I think it's the fact that he's been dodging top competition for the past 3 1/2-4 years.

Give me one good reason why he shouldn't have been fighting for the HW title in either of his last two fights in Strikefarce? That division is so shallow that Brett Rogers, coming off of a LOSS to Fedor fought Overeem instead of Fedor.
    Fedor fought the best fighters he could outside of the UFC top 3 since the contract never happened. Honestly, I think the top 4 heavyweights are Fedor, Carwin, Lesnar, and Cain but outside the UFC the crowd is thin.
    IMO that's a F-ing JOKE.

Only time will tell who is the best and now that Fedor has lost I am hoping his negotiators will back off their demands so we can see him in the UFC.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Only time will tell who is the best and now that Fedor has lost I am hoping his negotiators will back off their demands so we can see him in the UFC.

Pierre did was he does with everyone and took him down and controlled him. GSP is so dominant he's boring.

Fedor has had 2 chances to fight Alistair Overeem, a much better fighter than Mr. Sam's Club Tire Tech(Brett Rogers) or Fabricio Werdum, who got steam rolled in the first round by Dos Santos before getting fired from the UFC.

I'll even turn a blind eye to the fact that he passed up the biggest contract in UFC history to fight second and third tier fighters, but when he won't even fight the best when he goes there is pathetic IMO.

I understand that he was trying to protect his undefeated career and I would have totally supported him if he just retired, but to go around fighting UFC rejects and trying to play it off like he still wants to fight the best really made me lose respect for him.

I wouldn't doubt if the steep contract negotiations let up, but Fedor's stock has PLUMMETED. I guarantee Dana White couldn't give two :poop:s if Fedor signs with the UFC now or not. He'd take him, but there's no way in hell he's going to offer that original deal again...Not even a fraction of it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Pierre did was he does with everyone and took him down and controlled him. GSP is so dominant he's boring.

Fedor has had 2 chances to fight Alistair Overeem, a much better fighter than Mr. Sam's Club Tire Tech(Brett Rogers) or Fabricio Werdum, who got steam rolled in the first round by Dos Santos before getting fired from the UFC.

I'll even turn a blind eye to the fact that he passed up the biggest contract in UFC history to fight second and third tier fighters, but when he won't even fight the best when he goes there is pathetic IMO.

I understand that he was trying to protect his undefeated career and I would have totally supported him if he just retired, but to go around fighting UFC rejects and trying to play it off like he still wants to fight the best really made me lose respect for him.

I wouldn't doubt if the steep contract negotiations let up, but Fedor's stock has PLUMMETED. I guarantee Dana White couldn't give two :poop:s if Fedor signs with the UFC now or not. He'd take him, but there's no way in hell he's going to offer that original deal again...Not even a fraction of it.

I think Fedor will still get big money from Dana just so the UFC can try to prove they have the best fighters in the world without a doubt. As far as St. Pierre being so dominant that he is boring, I have to disagree. Personally, I would like to see him fight Jon Fitch again if Fitch beats Alves as I though Fitch kept him from exploding like he does on most people. IMO, the best fight is to get him and Anderson Silva to meet up at 185 or even a 180 catch weight so we can see some real action.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont think fedor is the best. but that opinion has little to do with his recent loss. imo you have to beat the best to be the best and fedor wont fight the best therefor he is out of the running. i think either lesnar or carwin would beat him.

but getting caught once defintally does not mean he is not mean alot to me. my former mma instructor who currently fights pro and is 8-0 or 9-0 and i have fought thousands of times. out of all those times i did catch a armbar once. that doesn't mean im even in the same league as him it means i got lucky. mark my words one of these days you will see a man from richmond in the ufc. his name is doug sparks and i got him in a armbar ONCE:rockwoot:.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    i dont think fedor is the best. but that opinion has little to do with his recent loss. imo you have to beat the best to be the best and fedor wont fight the best therefor he is out of the running. i think either lesnar or carwin would beat him.

I think there are a few people that can beat Fedor, but I'm not sure Carwin is one of them...They are two of the heaviest hitters in the HW division, but Fedor's head movement and technique is much better than Carwin's. I know all it takes is one to land, but I think Fedor is going to land first...And often.

I'd like to see it though.:D

What is your prof record?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think there are a few people that can beat Fedor, but I'm not sure Carwin is one of them...They are two of the heaviest hitters in the HW division, but Fedor's head movement and technique is much better than Carwin's. I know all it takes is one to land, but I think Fedor is going to land first...And often.

I'd like to see it though.:D

What is your prof record?

to be honest i lose most respect for fedor when he side stepped randy so hard.

my pro record is 0-0-0. i only had a couple local fights, and only trained for a few years. then work and old age got in the way

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i never really did it for the cage. i did it just to get back into shape and learn some cool stuff. plus at the time i had a part time job as a bouncer. when i first started training seriously 5 times a week i said i would never get in the cage. after about a year of training i was at a fight to watcch a team member and somone from my wieght class (205) was a no show so i said id take his spot. then i realized being in the cage was pretty fun so i signed up again. on my last fight my competator was a no show. getting all jacked up to fight and then your guy not showing is no fun. they had a heavey wieght also not show so i fought the the heavywieght that did show.

i always took a week off training after a fight and after the last fight a week turned into a month to a year

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    my former mma instructor who currently fights pro and is 8-0 or 9-0 and i have fought thousands of times. out of all those times i did catch a armbar once. that doesn't mean im even in the same league as him it means i got lucky. mark my words one of these days you will see a man from richmond in the ufc. his name is doug sparks and i got him in a armbar ONCE:rockwoot:.

I misread this.

I thought you were saying that your instructor has fought 8 times and you have fought thousands of times.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Let me go on the record as saying I am in the "Hate Koscheck" club and I simply cannot accept the idea that he poses any threat to GSP.

TIA

I am in that club with you. Do you think he could try to find a way to fake an eye poke when GSP would have him in a submission? He would probably poke his own eye while he was tapping.

With Fedor's loss any future opponent would probably try the same technique Werdum used.

I read last week that former WWE wrestler Batista claimed to have signed with Strikeforce and Strikeforce denied the claim. Do you think Batista would have a chance in mma? He is in good shape but is in his 40s and has no actual wrestling background.

Top Bottom