• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who wins between Lesnar and Carwin on July 3rd?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This will be one hell of a fight. I honestly could see it going either way, or the earth being knocked off it's axis when these 2 monsters collide.

The HW division is the most exciting I can remember it ever being. We're in for a treat Saturday night!

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Anyone catch Strikeforce Saturday night? Fedor tapped in the first! Maybe he is overrated. Cris Cyborg beat the CRAP out of that other woman. Poor girl just got knocked around for 1 and a half rounds. I think cyborg landed 143 strikes.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Anyone catch Strikeforce Saturday night? Fedor tapped in the first! Maybe he is overrated. Cris Cyborg beat the CRAP out of that other woman. Poor girl just got knocked around for 1 and a half rounds. I think cyborg landed 143 strikes.

Getting caught in one fight doesn't make a fighter overrated by a long shot.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

That looked more like rape than an actual fight.

We were all sitting here feeling bad for that chick.

Getting caught in one fight doesn't make a fighter overrated by a long shot.

No, but it's pretty clear that Fedor isn't the best (current) HW anymore.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He has THE best gas tank in MMA, the best wrestling in the HW division and is a better boxer(think speed and head movement) than either Carwin or Lesnar.

I don't follow this sport (just read some topics on here), but I'm curious how someone can have "the best wrestling in the HW division," with the implication that the individual is a better wrestler that Brock Lesnar. WWE aside, Lesnar was an elite wrestler in the NCAA (NCAA Division I champion in 2000 and runner-up in 1999).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't follow this sport (just read some topics on here), but I'm curious how someone can have "the best wrestling in the HW division," with the implication that the individual is a better wrestler that Brock Lesnar. WWE aside, Lesnar was an elite wrestler in the NCAA (NCAA Division I champion in 2000 and runner-up in 1999).

i dont think anyone has better wrestling in the hw division than brock the only competition would have been randy.

that said wrestling in mma is alot diffrent than sport wrestling. when i started mma my only background was college wrestling. so i thought that noone could teach me anything at all wrestling related. my first day i did a double leg on my juijitsu instructor and he went down fast and hard. i was pretty pleased with myself until i realized my eyes were about to pop out of my head.

in wrestling you do a double leg with your head on the outside of the hip. that way you can drive at a 45 degree angle and use your head as a extra arm to push your opponent to the side.

in mma there is a thing called the guillotine (spelling) choke. and because of that choke you keep your head in the center of the body durring shots so you dont get choked out.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Good question.

There are several factors that come into play.

1. Brock's last wrestling match was over 10 years ago, Cains was ~4 years ago.

2. Great wrestling credentials does not necessarily translate to great MMA wrestling(see Georges St. Pierre; no wrestling cred and the best MMA wrestler ever to step foot in a cage). Brock is an absolute stud at MMA wrestling, but I think Cain's is better and many would agree. 6' 220 lb, 45 year old Randy Couture put Brock on his back and also controlled him up against the cage during their fight. If they were to face off on a wrestling mat, Brock would murder him, but when you factor in strikes and submissions, it's a different ball game.

3. Having a better gas tank allows you to go for more take downs and have the strength to fight off more take downs as well. This may not be a factor in the opening minutes, but it becomes more and more of a factor the longer the fight goes on.

There are other factors, like being able to absorb punishment while going for a take down, but Brock's chin hasn't been tested, so I don't want to count that as a factor yet. OTOH, Cain's chin has been severely tested and he passed with flying colors...He might also have the best recovery in all of MMA.

I hope that helps.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, that's all reasonable. I'm not conversant with the nuances of the wrestling-related moves in this MMA stuff. What I've seen reminds me much of the type of wrestling done by professional wrestlers in the middle of the 20th century and earlier when it was still a legitimate competition and not a pre-choreographed performance as has been for the last few decades. The old timers knew how to hurt and maim each other.

My outsider's point of view is that this MMA stuff is a modern take on the ancient Greek sport of pankration, but with more rules and fewer intentional deaths. :D

For what it's worth, amateur wrestling is diverse and evolving as well. What is done in high schools and on most college mats is significantly different from what you'll see in international rules like they do in the Olympics. The latter is almost devoid of its martial roots.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The guillotine in wrestling is something completely different!

yes the guillotine in highschool/college wrestling is much diffrent. in mma a guillotine can make you pass out. in highschool wrestling it makes you pray you will pass out (knowing you wont).

the diffrence you see in highschool/college wrestling is the style. in hs/college they wrestle folk style. in the olypmics you see greco roman wrestling. its a completly diffrent set of rules. greco is more upper boddy throws compared to takedowns in hs. there is also a freestyle wrestling that is done in aau wrestling that is kind of a mixture of the 2 styles. you can still shoot a double leg in freestyle but you can also still do a huge throw.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    anybody getting this on ppv in their house. I just don't want to go to a bar and watch this and I was just wanting to see if anyone here on the NE side is getting and want to charge admissionl?

Top Bottom