• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I get it, single dad here. I too have done them all.
    With two of my neighbors, the spouses worked opposing shifts with the kids growing up.
    I think a lot of it has to do with whats at ones house, ie kids, spouse, parents, pats and so on. What I never liked was the 12 hour rotating shifts, a month of days then a month of nights. Or a 2-2-3-3 rotating between days off from days to nights or nights to days.
    One place I worked we went to 2 day shift on 2 off, 3 nights on 3 off then 7 on and it was split 3 day shifts and then 3 night shifts.
    And then you had 7 days off.
    So with 5 weeks vacation one could get 5 two week vacations each year.
    My brother worked at a place like the last one. Or similar. Week off every month, with 40 hr pay.

Never worked a rotating shift like that, there is a place here in town but it's a 4mo rotation. 4 months days, then 4 months nights. Places I've worked were generally you're on a shift and you stay on it.
    I've worked 3-12's and 4-10's. The reason you don't see schedules like this last for very long is that they aren't very productive. It takes a uniquely special staff to have the work ethic to make these sort of schedules work for labor productivity. Extended hour shifts like this aren't for folks that cannot bend around their home life for essentially rest and sleep at home on work days, to maintain one's stamina for productivity at work.

I loved working 3-12's, at two different businesses. For those three days though, all it was was sleep and work. No room for home projects, socializing or much in the way of parenting. The whole work week in three days was great for me, but I'm an old school worker. As a past business manager, it was terribly obvious that the folks I worked with just did not get that they had to produce for 12 hours. The business's management didn't get it either. They were half-asleep, if not all the way after lunch break, every day.

I guess those schedules might work fine for businesses that are already mapped out for low productivity? The places where the staff complain to newbies about producing too much, making the old guard look bad? The places where folks clock in and go to sleep until time to clock out?

:whip:
    Eh it depends on the type of work in part, if you have to work at specific speed to keep up with the line it's a bit harder to slack off. Place here in town has been on 12 hr shifts, 4 on 4 off for well over 20 yrs and they get their production. They run 24 hrs a day, 363 days a year.

I know another place that run 2 10hr shifts m-th and 1 12 hr shift f-s. The weekend shift is much smaller and is mainly from what I understand is to get stuff ready for the week.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Auto industry. Fixing and upgrading what the UAW workers **** up
    No, really what do you do for a living. No need for disparaging remarks.
    They just aren't needed.

Its not that difficult, to answer my question.
    Me, I was in the service and the private sector for 11 years.
    Worked as a Union Elevator for the next 25 years or so.
    Went self employed for a few years while raising my sons, then went into Industrial Maintenance for a few years on the floor and in the office.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    They just aren't needed.

Went self employed for a few years while raising my sons, then went into Industrial Maintenance for a few years on the floor and in the office.
    It’s really none of your damn business what he does.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Your crew, As a manager I would have fired you for labor theft. :dunno:
    I was not the manager just a worker bee in an electrical/instrumentation crew. The manager had no grounds to fire anyone in this union shop. All the worker had to do was follow the company's safety procedures to the letter and jobs came to a slow crawl. I'm surprised you don't know these things. Are you a manager?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Why does any of these questions matter? What do you do? Did you serve? Where’s the link? All in an effort to discount someone’s actual life experience
    Between us bob, I'm not the one casting disparaging remarks and comments.
    If you want to have a conversation, quit throwing tantrums and acting like a petulant child.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was not the manager just a worker bee in an electrical/instrumentation crew. The manager had no grounds to fire anyone in this union shop. All the worker had to do was follow the company's safety procedures to the letter and jobs came to a slow crawl. I'm surprised you don't know these things. Are you a manager?
    Ive done both ends, and if you think an employee of Union or non union cant be terminated your not being truthful. As a manager you document and document and write up right along with HR. I've seen plenty terminated. As a Union man and as a Manager.
    I'm going out for dinner so I'll be back. And I'm laughing with the Union guys cant be fired, My girl averages at least two Union terminations a week in the Union Plant she works at in HR and Contracts.
    It can't be done.....lololololololol

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    They just aren't needed.

I told you what I do. I fix what car manufacturers **** up and make them better than they were when they came off the assembly line. Specifically transmissions if you must know.
    It’s really none of your damn business what he does.
    And it's really not that hard to find out if you really want to. Especially if you've seen my previous posts of trying to help others online and helping other members in person. Its not like my occupation isn't in the "about" section of my profile.

I'm not secret squirrel...or am I

Super_Secret.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I told you what I do. I fix what car manufacturers **** up and make them better than they were when they came off the assembly line. Specifically transmissions if you must know.

And it's really not that hard to find out if you really want to. Especially if you've seen my previous posts of trying to help others online and helping other members in person. Its not like my occupation isn't in the "about" section of my profile.

View attachment 306073
    You’re my secret squirrel lol

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well you and bob are both wrong,

It pays to be in a union. Literally.
    Workers who are members of labor unions in the United States make 18% more than their nonunion counterparts, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ annual report on union membership, published today.
    The report shows the median weekly earnings of full-time and salary workers who were union members in 2022 were $1,216, compared with $1,029 for nonunion workers. That’s nearly $10,000 more per year.

No, you are. Averages are not a guarantee.

You are so pro union you can see no other reality where it isn't always better to have one. Yet union membership is down by 50% or so in the last 40 years. In fact non-public unions only cover around 6-7% of workers.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

View attachment 306073
    No way! You are some kind of mechanic? Who knew?
    Oh My God Reaction GIF by Jimmy Conrad (GIF Image)

Top Bottom