• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yep. Sucks when companies go out of business. But I'm not shocked.
    I went through that once. We got 5 days notice because the company called for more security and the guard company asked the site manager about it. The other sites found out the day of.

That was Aug 29th 2001.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wonder how low the UAW's strike fund is now going into past the 5th week with only a partial shutdown. They were supposed to have enough for 10 weeks if everyone went on striking. But eventually they will drain the fund. My question is, what happens to the people who strike last in the UAW when the fund runs out? They just get screwed cause the money was already dolled out to those who stuck first? They don't get unemployment because they were laid off due to a strike, or they went on a strike.
    Fain keeps threatening to shut down more plants. Companies are sitting back, ya, you do that. Burn though that strike fund.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I went through that once. We got 5 days notice because the company called for more security and the guard company asked the site manager about it. The other sites found out the day of.

That was Aug 29th 2001.
    Wow. That date is a quite coincidental. The company I was working for went through rounds and rounds of layoffs. I was let go end of July 2021. Turned out to be the best thing that ever happened. A few weeks later they shut down that plant and moved to Mexico. I switched careers to something less Mexico/China prone, and it's been good.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

That was Aug 29th 2001.
    You worked for Enron?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nope, businesses can fail. That's easy to understand. But to get a phone call saying you're on strike, due to decisions from a person like Shawn Fain. Bless your heart.
    If you actually worked Union you would understand, its part of working Union.
    Those that work Union, have no problems understanding that.
    How much will your pension check be for again?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    @Creedmoor, where's their strike pay?
    I wasn't an UAW. We had a few million in the two locals I worked out of.
    It would last awhile, with around 120 members.
    I would believe that each UAW's Local has its own Strike Fund.

You seem to know all about it, how much is in that Locals Strike Fund and how many members does that Local have?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And working for a company and finding out they're closing the doors is part of working. There are some fairly secure jobs out there. Jobs don't last forever.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You seem to know all about it, how much is in that Locals Strike Fund and how many members does that Local have?
    Okay. So you ask people what they do for a living, when it really bears no relevance to the thing you quoted. Then you get ****ty with them when they don't answer your irrelevant question. And then when they do answer it, you do nothing with it, which proves it had no relevance.

And then you don't answer the question that was asked here? He asked what about the companies that have to lay off as part of the ripple effect of the UAW strike. They're not on strike. Do they get strike pay?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

When did I say I had a pension?

There may be a reason many folks work union. They can't negotiate a better salary on their own behalf? Need the union protection? No idea why, I'm not a union guy...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

I'm just asking the INGO union expert (and main pro union guy) since I don't know.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out this will end very bad... for the UAW...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Okay. So you ask people what they do for a living, when it really bears no relevance to the thing you quoted. Then you get ****ty with them when they don't answer your irrelevant question. And then when they do answer it, you do nothing with it, which proves it had no relevance.

And then you don't answer the question that was asked here? He asked what about the companies that have to lay off as part of the ripple effect of the UAW strike. They're not on strike. Do they get strike pay?
    I'm being ******? Please
    Are they Union employees?
    Do non union workers save in case they get laid off or who is buying what they manufacture are Union and can go on strike?
    If not maybe one should make better employment choices.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nope, businesses can fail. That's easy to understand. But to get a phone call saying you're on strike, due to decisions from a person like Shawn Fain. Bless your heart.
    You act like you know him. I do. I grew up with him. His dad was the chief of police here in Kokomo. I don't work at Stellantis but I am a millwright for GM and have been for over 33 years. I know Shawn from his time as an electrician. He went thru apprenticeship just like I did which is roughy 7,850 hours plus you go thru schooling with at least an 85% passing grade. No freebies for your accreditation either. People get dropped for grades. Try working 8+ hours a day plus going to Ivy Tech taking algebra, trig, etc after work. Most people are married with kids too. Easy? Not hardly. There is homework, tests, etc. People have gotten divorced going thru apprenticeship. I trust Shawn to bargain for the members. He is not stupid or a member of the good ole boy club and threw out big numbers w/ less hours for a reason. It's all about politics and bargaining just like any contract. Hopefully both sides meet in the middle and we are all winners or feel like we are. I have been on the losing end of so many contracts working for GM Kokomo Ops that it ain't funny but I would never work anywhere else. My time is done and I want to retire but I can't cause I got screwed over. I have zero benefits if I retire. None. Zip. Fair? Nope. I dedicated 33 years and beat my body down to nothing. 19th surgery is coming up first part of November. Hopefully I can be made whole contractually instead of tearing my body down by working so I can have medical, dental, vision and even death benefit insurance. Hopefully.
    This should've been post in the Political Area so I can avoid these "discussions" w/ members who have zero understanding of union membership. My stepdad was electrical supervisor of all of 2nd shift transmission plant so I know management's side of things. He was so proud when I got my apprenticeship even more so then when I came home from active duty military esp since I was f%$ked physically including PTSD and depression. He told me to never jump ship to management like he did. I hope the old dude is looking down and still proud of me...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom