• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Read the "media intervenors" motion. I've seen it all before. In this case, it will come down to whether the Court believes that keeping things sealed is necessary to: 1) allow further investigation to proceed as to the defendant or others (or possibly other crimes), and/or 2) protect the defendant's right to a fair trial.

The media's arguments regarding their tangential "constitutional rights" will not be the deciding factor. If the Court decides that unsealing isn't harmful to investigations or fair trial, sure....the "right to know" then starts to mean something.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    WIBC reporting that the court says the document will remain sealed.

Wonder if Carter knew the direction this would go, thus saying it should be unsealed? Being the politician he is, he's gotta know this case has been NO feather in his cap? Playing both sides?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That motion for bail is interesting. "Because neither the proof of guilt is evident, nor the presumption of guilt strong, the Accused is seeking a hearing to release the Accused on his own recognizance or in the alternative to set a reasonable bail."

...and I would expect my attorney to say the exact same thing.....regardless. I wouldn't read too much into that. He has to make a record.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Doug Carter has been giving interviews saying he thinks it should be unsealed. Media have reported that the judge supposedly leans towards unsealing it. I'm expecting some redactions but I'll be surprised if it's not released at all.
    What I saw was him saying that it should be unsealed "when the time is right". I haven't seen him saying it should be unsealed now. It is possible I missed it though.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Read the "media intervenors" motion. I've seen it all before. In this case, it will come down to whether the Court believes that keeping things sealed is necessary to: 1) allow further investigation to proceed as to the defendant or others (or possibly other crimes), and/or 2) protect the defendant's right to a fair trial.

The media's arguments regarding their tangential "constitutional rights" will not be the deciding factor. If the Court decides that unsealing isn't harmful to investigations or fair trial, sure....the "right to know" then starts to mean something.
    Other than going to the courthouse, is there an easy way for the general public to access the motions and such?

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Other than going to the courthouse, is there an easy way for the general public to access the motions and such?
    Heck, you should have driven over and watched from the cheap seats. Bet you could have gotten in if you were there by 5 or 5:30. Thought about it myself.

Just this moment got a news push saying document will remain sealed. I’m thinking other people or other charges are coming.

The defense asking for release on OR was mandatory but never going to happen.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Heck, you should have driven over and watched from the cheap seats. Bet you could have gotten in if you were there by 5 or 5:30. Thought about it myself.

Just this moment got a news push saying document will remain sealed. I’m thinking other people or other charges are coming.

The defense asking for release on OR was mandatory but never going to happen.
    Yeah I could of, but from what I heard every parking space around was taken up by media and others yesterday. Probably would of had to gone last night to get in.

Reactions: Mij

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have "My Case", but I have to sign in to get the actual documents. I think anyone can get access, not just lawyers, but there may be a fee. Without signing in, you can see the dockets which contain a brief description of what was filed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have "My Case", but I have to sign in to get the actual documents. I think anyone can get access, not just lawyers, but there may be a fee. Without signing in, you can see the dockets which contain a brief description of what was filed.
    Okay thanks. I've been using mycase, but not signed in.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    When the bail hearing happens, can the prosecutor use evidence gathered since the arrest, or is it based strictly on what's in the PC document?

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When the bail hearing happens, can the prosecutor use evidence gathered since the arrest, or is it based strictly on what's in the PC document?
    Bail is (allegedly, supposedly and theoretically) about ensuring the defendant's appearance for trial. Therefore, the issue is likelihood to flee. This has many sub issues like ability to flee (resources), contacts to the local area, history, but it also includes the seriousness of the charge and potential penalty. The more serious the charge, the higher the assumed likelihood to flee. Thus, any evidence, no matter when obtained, that is relevant to this can be considered.

In Indiana: "Murder is not bailable if the state proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the proof is evident or the presumption strong. In all other cases, offenses are bailable." Ind. Code Ann. § 35-33-8-2.

Seems to me like the defense is wanting to press the issue.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

No decision on unsealing the PC today.

Prosecutor argued to keep it sealed, and reportedly said in court that the reason he wants to keep it sealed is that they believe RA is not the only person involved. He gave the judge a redacted version.

Apparently the defense argued for unsealing the PC.

I'm pretty sure the anthony shots profile guy set up a meeting with the girls that same day... coincidently.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm pretty sure the anthony shots profile guy set up a meeting with the girls that same day... coincidently.

Quite the quandary here. :scratch:

Do we believe anthony shots profile guy, (that everyone was ready to lynch,) had nothing to do with this? Just bizarrely bad timing? :n00b:

Or do we believe that a horrific brutal murdering psychopath has lived right in and among the community where his evil took place for over five years? With no other evil actions before or after? No threat to the community? No other little girls have been scoped out for prey?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absolutely a horrible coincidence.

He got there and the girls werent there. He had no idea that the very same day, a one armed man just happened to be hanging out at that park when the girls got there and did the deed before "AS" got there to take them out for ice cream. :dunno:

Top Bottom