• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Whose budget typically covers the public defender? I thought they worked pro bono for the indigent. But above it's stated $100-136/hr. Also there's sure to be other incidental fees (that probably add up to a whole bunch on big/dramatic/headlines-type of cases). I'm just curious if the funds come from the prosecutors, state, some random general public fund...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I would want more experience than that too and I think most judges do as well....but I've learned from John Grisham novels that experience is underrated if you are determined enough.

All I'll say is that is kinda low....but as long as competent defense attorneys are willing to work for it....
    I knew an attorney back in the late 80s early 90s that was charging around that. And I'm not positive but I think that may have been his "friends and family rate". ETA wait, which is low. The hourly rate or the amount of hours billed?
    The best criminal defense lawyers I know do both private-pay clients and court-appointed work.
    Yeah he did both. He said mainly for the contacts and free "vacations". Middle of winter he was flown out to So CA for something like 4 days to tape a deposition for an expert witness that took all of 3 hrs. He took his wife with and just had to pay her airfare and food/drinks for her. He also did some pro-tem work for some of the judges in Lake Co.
    Whose budget typically covers the public defender? I thought they worked pro bono for the indigent. But above it's stated $100-136/hr. Also there's sure to be other incidental fees (that probably add up to a whole bunch on big/dramatic/headlines-type of cases). I'm just curious if the funds come from the prosecutors, state, some random general public fund...
    I believe a mix of county and state. State will reimburse up to x%.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    County.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Question, did you have any idea that either of these other two were on the list? And how common is it to pick an attorney from several counties away? The one is from Cass Co, understandable. But I believe the other is based around Indy.

No idea that they were on the list. I knew I was just because of my . . . experience in Carroll County.

High profile case, common to pick non-Home Skillet attorney. When Chief Justice Rush had the home invasion, no one here would touch it so an attorney from Clinton County was asked to do it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No idea that they were on the list. I knew I was just because of my . . . experience in Carroll County.

High profile case, common to pick non-Home Skillet attorney. When Chief Justice Rush had the home invasion, no one here would touch it so an attorney from Clinton County was asked to do it.
    Yeah, but you already have a murder or two on your plate right now, don't you? May have wanted someone who wasn't quite as busy.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Doug Carter has been giving interviews saying he thinks it should be unsealed. Media have reported that the judge supposedly leans towards unsealing it. I'm expecting some redactions but I'll be surprised if it's not released at all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Doug Carter has been giving interviews saying he thinks it should be unsealed. Media have reported that the judge supposedly leans towards unsealing it. I'm expecting some redactions but I'll be surprised if it's not released at all.

Doug Carter has done a great job of passing nothing pertinent along to the public from day one of this case. Likely to the detriment of any valuable public assistance there was to be had. Makes sense that he would pass this off on the court, after 5+ years of folks living with the alleged brutal murderer right under their noses?

:twocents:

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana

No decision on unsealing the PC today.

Prosecutor argued to keep it sealed, and reportedly said in court that the reason he wants to keep it sealed is that they believe RA is not the only person involved. He gave the judge a redacted version.

Apparently the defense argued for unsealing the PC.

Top Bottom