• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Also not surprising.

O.J. led much of the public to believe that the defense could put on any circus it wanted to and see if they could get the jury to buy it. Most places, not so. I'm sure there will be a great outcry from the podcasters and their followers who don't understand that you need actual, admissible evidence to present a theory at trial, but that is the law and has been for a long time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Also not surprising.

O.J. led much of the public to believe that the defense could put on any circus it wanted to and see if they could get the jury to buy it. Most places, not so. I'm sure there will be a great outcry from the podcasters and their followers who don't understand that you need actual, admissible evidence to present a theory at trial, but that is the law and has been for a long time.
    Sounds like the judge is trying to separate the proverbial wheat from all the defense's chaff.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Also not surprising.

It is truly amazing just how much media of all kinds have exacerbated the Dunning-Kruger effect…

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So now the defense comes down to "the prosecution didn't carry it's burden"....which, of course, the prosecution must do. But, there is evidence against him which it will be important to refute leading to:

"I didn't do it"....though with all of those confessions, there is no way on earth that he should testify.

"He has a Focus, not a PT Cruiser".

Someone 1) planted the 9mm cartridge at the scene (no evidence), 2) someone planted the gun at his house (no evidence), or 3) you really can't tell whether the cartridge came from the gun in his house (the best argument on that point).

Jury selection in mid October, trial in mid November.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Kinda as I expected, Allen's lawyers have moved for interlocutory appeal. This means an immediate appeal. Normally appeals are only allowed when the trial court has entered a final judgment. An interlocutory appeal seeks appeal immediately when a court ruling greatly affects how the case will proceed. In this case, they are trying to appeal the exclusion of the Odinist stuff and the inclusion of the confessions.

First, the trial court has to decide whether to certify those orders for immediate appeal. If it does, then the Court of Appeals has to decide whether to take the case.

In a case like this, I would expect the trial court to certify. I have no idea what the Court of Appeals will do.

Of course, if the case is taken up on appeal, the trial will be vacated and reset. This kind of appeal takes at least 6 months, usually.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Motion for interlocutory appeal denied. No immediate appeal; the trial dates were reaffirmed.

If convicted, the defendant can appeal the same issues after judgment is entered, so its not like there is no appeal.

Now, things get interesting.

Top Bottom