• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I recently read the book his son wrote. It's very good.

Why, Gary, Why?

After reading it, the title may be the dumbest question anyone has EVER asked.
    The title comes from an officer right after the shooting. When running up to take custody of him after he popped the kiddie diddler he was yelling why, Gary, why?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Allen's lawyer saying Allen is innocent offers greater proof of innocence than the prosecution has provided for his guilt. That is to say there is no public evidence at all. If the sealed details are because there exist others involved, they better get to arresting the others.
    I'll have to disagree, what Allen's attorney says carries no more or less weight than what the prosecutor says. There is no publicly available evidence either way. And I don't believe his attorney stated that he is innocent, he stated that Allen says he is innocent.

Reactions: Mij

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know murder is a lawyer's word game these days, but I wonder if the Idaho college murders are going the same direction as the Delphi girl's? Is the trail getting cold finding the Idaho murderer the same as it did in Delphi, because of the same reasons?

Not knocking modern law enforcement, but keeping super closed mouth in an effort to trap suspects knowing unreleased info has it's weak points. It may work a lot of the time, but we are seeing that keeping ALL important information silent takes the public out of the loop for not knowing they may have witnessed something critical. Things the public could be helpful with gets lost in the mix?

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That is to say there is no public evidence at all.

Yes, I was agreeing with you on that. But since we have no evidence to judge, how/why are you giving greater weight to the words of one over the other?

Yep, they just put a bunch of names in a hat and drew one. Apply purple where needed.
    Innocent men have been arrested and charged before, and some convicted. I'm not saying he is innocent, and I'm also not saying he's guilty. Without seeing the evidence I honestly have no idea.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I’ve been in touch with the elite firm of Gandalf, West, Board, Crystal & Carnac. They tell me there is so little reliable information known or conjured to be able to call the game at present and to call back after verdict is in for a more precise reading.1669452506881.png
    1669452893492.png

1669452554048.png

1669452602190.png
    1669452720579.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Yes, I was agreeing with you on that. But since we have no evidence to judge, how/why are you giving greater weight to the words of one over the other?
    Just that there is supposed to be a presumption of innocence. Allen may be 100% culpable for the death of these two children. But until evidence is presented, his claim of innocence would necessarily carry more weight.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just that there is supposed to be a presumption of innocence. Allen may be 100% culpable for the death of these two children. But until evidence is presented, his claim of innocence would necessarily carry more weight.
    While I agree that there is a presumption of innocence in court, I'll have to disagree that his claim carries more weight. It is up to the prosecution to disprove his claim though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    While I agree that there is a presumption of innocence in court, I'll have to disagree that his claim carries more weight. It is up to the prosecution to disprove his claim though.
    Isn't that what the presumption of innocense means?

If the prosecution proves beyond a reasonable doubt he is guilty, then it no longer holds more weight.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Well obviously evidence has been presented that led to a PC affidavit and resulted in a warrant.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Isn't that what the presumption of innocense means?

If the prosecution proves beyond a reasonable doubt he is guilty, then it no longer holds more weight.
    I get what you are saying, and yes in the courtroom. But not in the courtroom I give them both equal weight. In the courtroom the only thing that matters is the evidence, not the He did it/I didn't do it from the attorneys.

Well obviously evidence has been presented that led to a PC affidavit and resulted in a warrant.
    I don't know if a warrant was ever issued, they don't need one in a felony case. But yes they had to present evidence to get the judge to accept the PC affidavit. But the judge only heard from one side, the defense didn't get to rebut the evidence the prosecutor presented or present their own evidence.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Motion for Change of Venue from the County filed. It's a decent motion based upon what's available now, but not a slam dunk. It references the obviously overwhelming media coverage, which you would expect, but without attaching anything specific. It talks about the high percentage of local residents involved in the initial search and speculates about a large number of local residents being interviewed by law enforcement.

It uses "Google Trends" to show a high number of searches about the case in Carroll County and compares that to Fort Wayne, Allen County, where there were comparatively few.

If the judge is leaning towards granting, there is enough there to defend that decision, but if not, I think it still falls short or showing objective evidence of bias. News coverage is not enough, on its own, to show a need for change of venue. That someone has heard of the case is not enough to disqualify them on its own. While "Google Trends" may provide evidence to get you started, where I have seen such motions granted (or denied) in the past (where contested), the Judge was looking for polling data, or the equivalent, that showed the presence of a pervasive bias, not just the gut feeling that there would be bias....at least that's what the judges told me when I had such motions denied in 2 cases.

But again, the judge can rule based upon gut-felling if she wants to and the prosecution may not even object to the motion, seeing the handwriting on the wall.

Top Bottom