• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know times are different now. At 13, I would roam all sort of places. I lived outside of Kokomo. I would ride my bike up to the T-way plaza. I went to the woods down the road.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    13 is too young to trust leaving girls on their own to fend for themselves away from home. Much less, with cellular communication that you have failed to monitor.
    How do you know the parents failed to monitor their cellular communication? And what age is appropriate to let kids out on their own? If you chose to keep your kids locked in a cage until they turned 18, that's on you.
    My point is you say at 13 they aren't trustworthy, but at 15/16 years old they are going to start driving and working.

That is only a 2-3 year span, at what point in that timeframe do you think they should start learning responsibility? I sure don't want to just throw them to the wolves.

Our little park is sometimes full of young teenagers hanging out. They get dropped off, walk, ride bicycles. I don't believe locking down kids and not promoting them to be decision makers is helpful. I think that's how you end up with people who can't function properly.

Edit: I don't think anyone is saying no one is at fault, but in my experience it's usually the person commiting the crime.
    Summer time around me it's very common to see kids younger than 13 in the park with friends the same age. Nobody thinks twice. Same with walking to school. Or...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wow this thread has taken a slant?

I used to have a 13 year old daughter if she wanted go somewhere she had to answer about 30 questions.

At 16 she had to answer about 10

At 18 she was told to be safe
    That's pretty much where I'm at. Not blaming anyone but the killer, but if there was ever a time a couple of girls this age could wander far away from home on public grounds, it's not today and wasn't 5 years ago either.

We have no time machine. It's just a word to the wise.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My moms neighbor had a 20 something daughter living in her own home. Guy broke in and literally butchered her to death....literally. Closed coffin, how horrible. Whose fault.....the parents? I mean she wasn't even out for a walk and a adult and still got murdered. How many murders happened in that little town.....how many bad things happened in that park especially when there were other people that were there. No one is safe anywhere....not even home with locked doors. Some guys have came into houses and kidnapped teens right out of their bed or killed them there....parents fault for falling asleep. I'm not judging the parents, my kids are grown but growing up in really small town that had rivers and woods and trails nearby I suppose one of mine could of been picked up and hauled off on their bikes or on foot even right in front our house. Nope....not going to judge.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The trail is not a State project, it is done locally but often with state or federal contributions. The political want to continue its growth, as it is one of the most popular things they do. Many recreational organizations also are working toward that. There is no link to a government document saying how and when they will continue it.

The existing trail was built by communities sections at a time. There have been communities that built their trail that did not connect to the Indy trail for years. If it is on the old Monon railway it is a part of an overall Monon Trail in my book.

Please tell me this questioning is is not a semantics game?
    It's not semantics. THe Monon Trail is an organization. YOu can find its website. There is no, zero, zilch discussion of expanding it to include the entire old Monon railbed. It would be nice if they did, but I see no evidence of it.

FIne if you want to speculate, but don't hold it out as fact.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You have all the answer . . . don't ask us.
    Are your girls gonna live long enough to be concerned with teenage pregnancy or ODing on fentanyl?

These girls didn't. They would be 18 now. If they'd lived long enough to be taught to make good decisions for themselves.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What age are your girls when you stop parenting them?
    Don't know. My son is 28 and I still parent him to a degree. My daughter is almost 16 and I still parent her. Doesn't mean I don't let them out of my eyesight or lock them in a cage. I raise(raised) them best that I can. That includes allowing a bit of freedom. And yes at 13 (and younger) my daughter went to the local park with friends. My son as well. Hell at 16 my son went several state away to hike in the middle of nowhere, well not quite nowhere but a hell of a lot more isolated than the Monon High Trail.
    Are your girls gonna live long enough to be concerned with teenage pregnancy or ODing on fentanyl?

These girls didn't.
    Well 13 is old enough to get pregnant, so I'd say yes. And what age is required to OD? Considering I know people that started on heroin younger than that, I'd say yes they were old enough.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That's pretty much where I'm at. Not blaming anyone but the killer, but if there was ever a time a couple of girls this age could wander far away from home on public grounds, it's not today and wasn't 5 years ago either.

We have no time machine. It's just a word to the wise.
    I agree, but the time wasn't 35 years ago as well when I and I think you were teens. I'm asking you a serious question. When was the time? And not just girls, I'm including boys.

And the girls weren't far from home, they were within a mile/mile and a half or so. It's not like they hitchhiked to a couple of counties over. They were at a local park.

Top Bottom