• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

This is the first I heard of this. Yes I live under a rock, dont watch tv or listen to anything but Christian radio. I just read all 60 pages hoping the last would be about a conviction.

You can go to UserCP then Mysettings-general settings and change post per page. and only have 15 pages.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe law enforcement sat on the picture too long before putting it out. They, like everyone else, thought that this would be the local culprit as it so often is. Didn't want to give away anything in an effort to substantiate any tips.

Looks like this time it was out of town evil that covered it's tracks well. Likely cased the girls as they were left to walk this remote trail without any adult supervision.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I believe law enforcement sat on the picture too long before putting it out. They, like everyone else, thought that this would be the local culprit as it so often is. Didn't want to give away anything in an effort to substantiate any tips.

Looks like this time it was out of town evil that covered it's tracks well. Likely cased the girls as they were left to walk this remote trail without any adult supervision.
    From the articles that I read, the sketch is based on new information.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was listening on the news and didn't realize they have a video of the incident???

The pictures they released came from a video Libby shot along with the audio they released. They have stated they have more they are not releasing but not how much more.

Didn't one of the girls record something on her phone? They had a voice recording or something per the initial reports. Maybe there was more to the recording than they shared early on???

Yep, see above.

They released the initial picture the day after the girls were found. How is that waiting too long?

And that trail is not very remote, and it was/is common for kids that age to go out there with friends. Heck iirc the parking lot closest to the bridge (short hike from it) was about 1/2 or so from downtown.

From the articles that I read, the sketch is based on new information.

That's what I heard also.

ISP is reporting as many as 500 new tips from the released sketch.

I believe I read it's up to around 2000.

How many tips did they have when they finally released the initial picture?

Since the picture was released the day after they were found, probably not too many. IIRC it was stated that after it was released the tips started pouring in, and after the audio was released there was another uptick.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Makes an ignorant citizen think nothing much came of the thousands of tips that came in on the tip line.

That's the danger of releasing lousy video. People fill in the blank pixels like a Rorschach test. I've already explained what that means to investigators, as they then have to run down every tip. Forensic sketches are the same. It's not like on tv where it's done in 30 minutes and is a photograph of the guy, particularly when it's built from multiple sources.

But at least we've moved from "they are lying about still working the case" to "they should have..." :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The pictures they released came from a video Libby shot along with the audio they released. They have stated they have more they are not releasing but not how much more.

They released the initial picture the day after the girls were found. How is that waiting too long?

And that trail is not very remote, and it was/is common for kids that age to go out there with friends. Heck iirc the parking lot closest to the bridge (short hike from it) was about 1/2 or so from downtown...

...Since the picture was released the day after they were found, probably not too many. IIRC it was stated that after it was released the tips started pouring in, and after the audio was released there was another uptick.

If that is correct, my mistake. My memory of the incident is that they were very slow to release information that could have been beneficial to warning the public. Did it not take them days to autopsy and officially announce that the bodies were the girls and that they were murdered?

The authorities emphasis was always as if this murder was done by a known individual, as these sort of terrible acts often are. It appears as though they were wrong this time?

My beef with the whole ordeal is that there has been no emphasis on stating the fact that evil exists and is among us. That evil is still out there, along with more evil unrelated to this case. A reminder to parents to supervise their children IS appropriate.

TIMELINE | Disappearance and deaths of Liberty German and Abigail Williams in Delphi

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That's the danger of releasing lousy video. People fill in the blank pixels like a Rorschach test. I've already explained what that means to investigators, as they then have to run down every tip. Forensic sketches are the same. It's not like on tv where it's done in 30 minutes and is a photograph of the guy, particularly when it's built from multiple sources.

But at least we've moved from "they are lying about still working the case" to "they should have..." :rolleyes:
    Oh I am sure they have been working the case and some still are. Obviously they can't be devoting the same level of man power as they did at the beginning and probably don't need to. And I have never had enough information to know what they should have been doing. I see the police are now cautioning the public against posting pics of the sketch along side pics of individuals they think resemble him. I have seen a couple of those posted on FB. Same way with pictures of some guy in a Lafayette area park with blue jeans and blue coat. There was also a post that the relative that was questioned has not been seen since he was questioned. Who knows if any of it is true, once the rumor mill starts up.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If that is correct, my mistake. My memory of the incident is that they were very slow to release information that could have been beneficial to warning the public. Did it not take them days to autopsy and officially announce that the bodies were the girls and that they were murdered?

The authorities emphasis was always as if this murder was done by a known individual, as these sort of terrible acts often are. It appears as though they were wrong this time?

My beef with the whole ordeal is that there has been no emphasis on stating the fact that evil exists and is among us. That evil is still out there, along with more evil unrelated to this case. A reminder to parents to supervise their children IS appropriate.

TIMELINE | Disappearance and deaths of Liberty German and Abigail Williams in Delphi

Check your link for Feb 15
    7 p.m. Indiana State Police release a photo of a man reportedly walking on the trail around the time of the girls’ disappearance. Police say they want to talk to the individual but stop short of calling him a suspect.
    Also from the same date
    Riley advises parents to keep a close eye on their children and monitor their whereabouts.

And I don't remember them emphasizing that this was done by a known individual. The press conference about a week after they emphasized that it could be a known individual or a stranger, they didn't know.
    Oh I am sure they have been working the case and some still are. Obviously they can't be devoting the same level of man power as they did at the beginning and probably don't need to. And I have never had enough information to know what they should have been doing. I see the police are now cautioning the public against posting pics of the sketch along side pics of individuals they think resemble him. I have seen a couple of those posted on FB. Same way with pictures of some guy in a Lafayette area park with blue jeans and blue coat. There was also a post that the relative that was questioned has not been seen since he was questioned. Who knows if any of it is true, once the rumor mill starts up.

This article says they have had between 5-10 people working on the case daily until they released the sketch. The number has been increased since then to over 30 officers and between 5-10 FBI daily. They received 1300 tips in the first 18 hrs following the release of it.
    More manpower added to Delphi murder investigation | Monticello Herald Journal | newsbug.info

What I'm wondering is why they have ISP auto theft and white collar crime units working on it? They just have the manpower to spare to help out, or do they suspect something?
    They include district investigators and undercover officers from the Indiana State Police – as well as investigators from its White Collar Crime and Auto Theft divisions

I saw the picture of the guy in the park. But iirc the guy you are thinking of that hasn't been seen since being interviewed wasn't a relation. He was someone who may have known one of the Moms through a relation of his. Rumor was that he hasn't been seen at work, although someone else disputed that and stated he was still working at the same place. He did have a leave of absence after he was interviewed due to threats and such.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Check your link for Feb 15

Also from the same date

They called the guy in the pic a suspect five days after the bodies were found. Prior to that he was only "want to talk with him about what he may have seen."

The state police information officer made one tiny announcement as an afterthought after one brief press release.
    Riley advises parents to keep a close eye on their children and monitor their whereabouts.
    It was only said once in a sea of press release updates that continue through today.

The only thing we have learned (or not learned) through this whole terrible ordeal is to parent our children and it just doesn't get said.

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    God bless homicide detectives. Often times they're the only voice and advocate for the victim(s). They have a tough and nearly thankless job. The unsexy pavement pounding and living on take out with a phone receiver glued to their ear is where the real daunting work happens.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, that's good, but it's odd. They mentioned to him about evidence in the death of his uncle and then he surrendered? That seems really weird. If they had evidence... did they just figure that he probably will not kill anyone else?
    Living with the guilt of stuff does strange things to people, sometimes.

In this case (and this is pure speculation), they probably got a tip about this guy and started by questioning him about the Delphi case. He probably denied denied denied, then they came at him with something like, "Look, we're pretty sure you've already killed somebody, your uncle."

Then, to build credibility for the denials of killing the girls, he admits to killing his uncle. Granted, he didn't actually think of it that way, but that's how the psyche works sometimes.

Good police interviewers know the psychology of the situation.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I know of this guy, he worked where i work for a while. I honestly would have thought he was harmless, if i'd had to guess. He was kinda boring and immature to have conversations with, but never seemed capable of murder. I did hear of him having issues with some of his co-workers, but nothing scary, just bickering...it's a factory, it can be like a kindergarten at times! I didn't know him well, i wasn't around him often, he was kind of odd and must have had a side to him that wasn't easily seen. I can't even picture him being smart or sneaky enough to get away with a murder for 10 years. Wow.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Well, that's good, but it's odd. They mentioned to him about evidence in the death of his uncle and then he surrendered? That seems really weird. If they had evidence... did they just figure that he probably will not kill anyone else?
    The guy IS odd, did you read that he said his uncle asked him to shoot him? I don't think he's all that bright, did he really think it was ok? Sounds like he has been a suspect all along, can't believe it took this long to trip him up and get a confession.

Top Bottom