• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder if the girls tried calling 911 before their deaths?
    On a related note, it occurred to me a possible explanation of the FBI's intense involvement: tech issues.

The feds would have better access to the appropriate resources to, for instance, obtain records from telecom companies about other cell phones in the area. That would not necessarily be fast or easy, but the CCSD or Delphi PD couldn't even begin to make that happen.

Other, less Jack Bauer-ish things might be going on, too.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    On a related note, it occurred to me a possible explanation of the FBI's intense involvement: tech issues.

The feds would have better access to the appropriate resources to, for instance, obtain records from telecom companies about other cell phones in the area. That would not necessarily be fast or easy, but the CCSD or Delphi PD couldn't even begin to make that happen.

Other, less Jack Bauer-ish things might be going on, too.

people keep mentioning the FBI techies being involved...and yet this has not led to where I thought it would. Has INGO discovered some sort of decorum?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    people keep mentioning the FBI techies being involved...and yet this has not led to where I thought it would. Has INGO discovered some sort of decorum?
    The SAIC is a dude who looks like he should have a manbun or pony tail. I mean, he's a sharp dresser, and bearded - if you're into that.

INGO isn't really a demographic that'll do much with that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The SAIC is a dude who looks like he should have a manbun or pony tail. I mean, he's a sharp dresser, and bearded - if you're into that.

INGO isn't really a demographic that'll do much with that.

So you're thinking INGO is so into accuracy that they actually care who is really working on the case? Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So you're thinking INGO is so into accuracy that they actually care who is really working on the case? Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
    Hmmm... I just came from the Civil Religious Discussion thread, where there seems to be a premium on accuracy. It may've clouded my response.

Just don't ask me any more questions, or I won't let you read my next post.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why do you think the murderer missed taking the cell phone(s)?
    Three main reasons are possible IMHO.

1) He's over 40 so didn't even think about it.

2) It was hidden and he didn't find it.

3) He didn't think there was anything incriminating on it, and was worried that having it was more dangerous than leaving it.

The most puzzling thing to me was why he didn't through all evidence into the river. For that, he either must've thought the area was remote enough that no one would find them, or ... more troubling... was contemplating coming back to them if they were not found. Or he was interrupted by something. I guess that could be part of the reason he didn't take the girl's cell either.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    4) He DID take the phones, and all this audio, video, and other data was recovered from the "cloud".

Or, I completely missed the fact that the phones were recovered intact and the data extracted directly. Regardless, the cloud adds an additional layer.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Or maybe he left the phones in case they had GPS tracking/theft protection of some sort on them that could lead the authorities right to him.

Do I watch too much criminal minds?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    4) He DID take the phones, and all this audio, video, and other data was recovered from the "cloud".

Or, I completely missed the fact that the phones were recovered intact and the data extracted directly. Regardless, the cloud adds an additional layer.

According to the grandfather of one of the girls, he said in an interview that the phone was pinging around town and then went dead. Whether he is right or not is a different story, but if he was the above is the most likely explanation.

..or maybe pretty much all criminals don't think things out very well.

This did not require bond-villain-esque planning.

Or this.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    This seems very odd to me.

A few years ago, a girl in the south was basically kidnapped from a Metallica concert (she'd accidentally gone outside and security wouldn't let her back in).

By that logic, it seems like the stadium should be torn down and Metallica not allowed to tour. (One of those options would actually be ok with me, personally, but I digress.)

Removing the bridge seems like the opposite of common sense to me. Doing something for no other reason than to do something, with no regard for whether it would be effective.

Bingo! Blaming the bridge is as silly as blaming the children`s parents for ever letting them out of the house.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    5) maybe Libby tossed the phone before the murderer could get it, and the authorities found it later. I don't recall hearing that it was found with her.

6) more troubling...maybe the murderer wanted to make some kind of "statement" and wanted the phone to be found. The placement of the bodies kinda says that to me, like the murderer wanted them to be found right away.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    5) maybe Libby tossed the phone before the murderer could get it, and the authorities found it later. I don't recall hearing that it was found with her.

6) more troubling...maybe the murderer wanted to make some kind of "statement" and wanted the phone to be found. The placement of the bodies kinda says that to me, like the murderer wanted them to be found right away.

That's possible also. I don't recall hearing it was found let alone where. They have been extremely tight lipped since the very beginning. Not saying it's a homicide they're waiting for the autopsy report, the pictures were from a trail cam, and the person was "person of interest", then a suspect, then main suspect. Then the news briefing Wednesday, when they released the audio and stated the pictures were from her phone. They don't know if the voice and picture are the same person. There have been 20 FBI agents in and around Delphi since the day after they were found. The Dir of the FBI has been briefed iirc at least twice... I understand this is a very rare sort of crime, but still. Something seems up. Or it could just be my paranoia popping up. And don't forget 6000 electronic billboard with the pictures on them in 46 states.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And while my paranoia is still acting up. Does it sound normal to send an FBI agent to help coordinate a search for a 13 and 14 yr old girl who didn't meet the criteria for an amber alert when they hadn't even been missing 18 hrs?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And while my paranoia is still acting up. Does it sound normal to send an FBI agent to help coordinate a search for a 13 and 14 yr old girl who didn't meet the criteria for an amber alert when they hadn't even been missing 18 hrs?

Not paranoia, observant and applying critical thought.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It seems and feels weird. I've definitely felt it, and I'm not sure why. I live about 20 miles from there, and noticed more LEOs today as I was out and about.

Top Bottom