• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Jared Kirshner named as "senior advisor."

What's INGO think about that? I'm not totally against nepotism, sometimes you need someone you trust in a certain role.

But it does seem like he's an odd choice. If he's just plugging family members into government employment, that's not good.

When it comes to things like "senior advisor", "counselor", "strategist", I don't think it really matters who he appoints. The way I look at it is that these are the people he trusts to give him advice and thus, they are the people he would be looking to regardless of whether they had an official position or not. It is more transparent if they actually have a position, so I think it is a good thing. If he was putting them in positions to run agencies then I would feel differently.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When it comes to things like "senior advisor", "counselor", "strategist", I don't think it really matters who he appoints. The way I look at it is that these are the people he trusts to give him advice and thus, they are the people he would be looking to regardless of whether they had an official position or not. It is more transparent if they actually have a position, so I think it is a good thing. If he was putting them in positions to run agencies then I would feel differently.
    That's reasonable.

The question then becomes how many of these "gray" positions is he going to have? :)

Also, will the new appointee be quitting his "day" job as real estate and publishing mogul?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

What's INGO think about that? I'm not totally against nepotism, sometimes you need someone you trust in a certain role.

But it does seem like he's an odd choice. If he's just plugging family members into government employment, that's not good.

Until he gives them titles such as wonderful, counsellor, prince of peace, etc...I will adopt a wait and see attitude....oh wait.....that is my default position

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's nice to see a father-in-law trust a son-in-law.

Obama had Valerie Jarrett and I doubt that she was qualified to do much since she was primarily a lawyer.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Obama had Valerie Jarrett and I doubt that she was qualified to do much since she was primarily a lawyer.
    Wait.

I think that's a snide remark.... but I can't tell.

;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I watched Henry VI, so it was on my mind.

I also don't think lawyers have shown themselves to be effective in the Obama administration. Obama, Jarrett & Holder. Yuck. When and if they made a decision, it was sub-optimized. But, I think that's the nature of legal training to some degree.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kirshner was vetted by one of Trump's most trusted advisors first. We all knew about Trumps family prior to the election, they are actually part of the reason he was elected. No reason to start listening to the losers now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Hey, he hasn't made the scotus pick yet. It could be his sister.

Kirshner was vetted by one of Trump's most trusted advisors first. We all knew about Trumps family prior to the election, they are actually part of the reason he was elected. No reason to start listening to the losers now.

We didn't get to see much of Kirshner during the campaign. But I have to agree his kids seemed to be pretty impressive. I liked that the oldest could carry on a conversation with gun enthusiasts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For me, the issue isn't this appointment. Jared Kushner (I bungled his name earlier) is clearly a smart, well-educated, experienced businessman. (I have more of an issue with hiring the Breitbart guy for a similar role.)

Somewhere between hiring one family member and hiring all family members is a line where nepotism is a bad thing. Just wondering if INGO has a consensus on where that line is, or a range where it becomes problematic.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For me, the issue isn't this appointment. Jared Kushner (I bungled his name earlier) is clearly a smart, well-educated, experienced businessman. (I have more of an issue with hiring the Breitbart guy for a similar role.)

Somewhere between hiring one family member and hiring all family members is a line where nepotism is a bad thing. Just wondering if INGO has a consensus on where that line is, or a range where it becomes problematic.

I have to admit. I'm not a Bannon fan.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think Trump would be wise to go with the one standard that wouldn't/couldn't be second guessed. Zero tolerance. No hiring of family by POTUS or any member of cabinet/advisers

If you don't start that you don't have to argue about the rules or grey areas where the line is drawn

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Perhaps an attempt to get him in a role where he can get sufficient clearance to keep acting as a meaningful adviser

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have to admit. I'm not a Bannon fan.

So far, that's probably the closest to a whiff that I can see. (Dan Coats would be 2d, and there's still a chance on the unnamed SCOTUS pick.) In that context, Bannon is more likely to be the primary echo in the chamber; Kushner has the personal capital to present a contrary viewpoint. Trump can't fire him. :)

I'm also concerned, though, about how many "special counselor" roles Trump can make up. Sure, there are some BS titles in politics, but they are usually things like Deputy Chief of Staff, Assistant to the Congressional Liaison, Attorney General, etc.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think Trump would be wise to go with the one standard that wouldn't/couldn't be second guessed. Zero tolerance. No hiring of family by POTUS or any member of cabinet/advisers

If you don't start that you don't have to argue about the rules or grey areas where the line is drawn

I'm generally against zero tolerance type policies. :) I mean, I totally understand that a policy like you describe is a great idea, perhaps even a goal.

But at the same time, politics is tricky. Hard to know what agendas other people are pursuing sometimes. Having a family member in a key role, so you know your interests align (as much as possible) can really help.

Perhaps an attempt to get him in a role where he can get sufficient clearance to keep acting as a meaningful adviser
    Again, in a vacuum, I have no issue with Kushner. The media will do the "optics" thing, which is whatever. Giving him, or a family member like him, the official role that would give the appropriate access to information does make sense. Plus, I trust Ivanka's judgment more than Trump's sons. :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

So I guess Ivanka won't be running any of his businesses now, right?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't know and don't really care. I await Jan 20. If Trump colors within the lines, he won't get much argument from me. If he fails to do so, he shouldn't be in office.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't know and don't really care. I await Jan 20. If Trump colors within the lines, he won't get much argument from me. If he fails to do so, he shouldn't be in office.

Its easy to stay within the lines of you keep redrawing the picture. I'll be interested to see in he does ANY of the things he promised to do on his "first day."

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, the buzz from the left is that Kushner is there to disguise Dad's medical problems that some might view as making him unfit for office. A male Nancy Reagan? Possibly.

Lots of people are watching....I don't know how you can disguise a health problem for long in the presidential role in the 21st century.

Top Bottom