• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    army basic training offered a few weeks or brm. infantry school had more. but the vast majority of my training came after i got to my unit. my time working with different weapon systems was measured in days at that point.

lose a weapon in the military and youre going to get an article 15. no two ways about it. this guy should get the equivalent. he doesnt need to be fired, but a stout reprimand is in order.

Just out of curiousity, how much time in the military (basic training) did you spend training with pistols, and what was that training like (did you draw from holsters, how many rounds do you think you fired, were you taught how to clear stoppages, any reloading techniques, etc...?)

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Just out of curiousity, how much time in the military (basic training) did you spend training with pistols, and what was that training like (did you draw from holsters, how many rounds do you think you fired, were you taught how to clear stoppages, any reloading techniques, etc...?)

we didnt spend any time on pistols. but when i reclassed to MP, i think we spent about a week on the m9.

basic army weapon training needs an overhaul.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    we didnt spend any time on pistols. but when i reclassed to MP, i think we spent about a week on the m9.

basic army weapon training needs an overhaul.

Did they ever have you draw from a holster, or was it always load and make ready off a table?

redfireman1969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    indpls
    i had a armed security officer that worked for me at the west side menards leave is gun in the crapper stall customer found it and the store manger demaned he be let go and to tell you the truth he never even new it was gone til they brought it to is attention wow couldnt agree more with the manger i had alot of respect for the guy but some things as a employer you have to let them go and give them a good reference and say bye i did

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    always off the table.

I have yet to meet anyone with miltary training who was trained differently, other than a few Marine MP's that were trained by Farnam in an "experimental" training program. And bringing John in for that was the work of Lt Col. Freddie Blish (who in 2005 joined Gunsite as an Instructor.) You can't even imagine the heat he was under, and the risk he took, confronting the Marine brass with that series of classes. There were higher ups who wanted his commission because he had Marines training with pistols on a hot range and actually walking off the range to use the head with hot guns in holsters.

I find it criminally negligent that MP's are being sent into combat zones having never drawn their sidearms from a holster under stress!

But yeah, military and police firearms training is the best!:patriot:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I have yet to meet anyone with miltary training who was trained differently, other than a few Marine MP's that were trained by Farnam in an "experimental" training program. And bringing John in for that was the work of Lt Col. Freddie Blish (who in 2005 joined Gunsite as an Instructor.) You can't even imagine the heat he was under, and the risk he took, confronting the Marine brass with that series of classes. There were higher ups who wanted his commission because he had Marines training with pistols on a hot range and actually walking off the range to use the head with hot guns in holsters.

I find it criminally negligent that MP's are being sent into combat zones having never drawn their sidearms from a holster under stress!

But yeah, military and police firearms training is the best!:patriot:

basic training is just that though. basic. they teach you fundamentals of shooting, weapon safety, etc. its when you get to a line company you do live fire drills, shoot houses and stuff like that. its unfair to judge military proficiency by basic training. could it be better? for sure. is it horrible? no. ive rarely shot outside of army functions, but i can shoot moving man sized target from a moving truck at about 75m. they must be doing something right.

you can never really get enough though, and youre right that some commanders get freaked out when you actually train how you fight.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    basic training is just that though. basic. they teach you fundamentals of shooting, weapon safety, etc. its when you get to a line company you do live fire drills, shoot houses and stuff like that. its unfair to judge military proficiency by basic training. could it be better? for sure. is it horrible? no. ive rarely shot outside of army functions, but i can shoot moving man sized target from a moving truck at about 75m. they must be doing something right.

you can never really get enough though, and youre right that some commanders get freaked out when you actually train how you fight.

There is no doubt that every branch and even every base has it's pros and cons when it comes to training, but the Marine MP's we were working with were shipping out to Iraq the next week and they had NEVER drawn from a holster. Training needs to be just a bit more actualized than that. Anyone can be shipped to the front after basic, and all need to have the firearm portion down by the end of basic, IMO.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Miram Webster sez

Necrothreading:

1. The act of, bumping of, bringing back to life of, any dead thread not yet closed by making inance comments not nessessarily pertainent to the conversation when it ended.

2. Common among those wishing to save $10 and build 50 Quality posts.

3. An excellent outlet for my sarcasm. :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Necrothreading:

1. The act of, bumping of, bringing back to life of, any dead thread not yet closed by making inance comments not nessessarily pertainent to the conversation when it ended.

2. Common among those wishing to save $10 and build 50 Quality posts.

3. An excellent outlet for my sarcasm. :D

Meh. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom