• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Everyone is right the thread is dead but a note about the incident. The trooper should receive some type of letter of counseling or reprimand. I have seen several officers come in and try to explain that they have left their gun at home, inexcusible. Not trying to put him (trooper) down but our job each piece of equipment should be counted for and checked. The magazines should be checked to make sure they are seated well in the gun. Other equipment checked (handcuffs, flashlight, spare magazines). Belt for obvious wear and son on. The weapon should be checked regularly for defects and visual inspection performed.

The same as anyone here who is not LE. You now have the right to carry a weapon, now make sure it doesn't fail you if you need it or left it somewhere.

FCSD 23-18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    On a couple occasions while booking a guy into the jail I have returned to my car got in and drove away. About 10 miles down the road I started to get the Oh S%&t feeling and realized that I left my weapon in the lock box in the Sally-port. 9 time out of 10 the control staff give you heck and everyone gets a laugh out of it. But leaving it unsecured somewhere I cant defend that one. I have also threw my duty belt on only to get to the SD and have our Chief Deputy ask missing something? (Due to having three kids I put my weapon in my safe every night instead of leaving it on my duty belt.) Crap happens, you cant say that you have never forgot your wallet, lunch, or other work related items and had to return home for them we have all been there. But once again leaving it at Lowe's, that is a No Go!!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    No matter how well trained, or how professional, we are still human. I have to admit though, for a cop to forget his gun would be like, when I was still in the Marines, me forgetting who Chesty Puller was.:):

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Not to sure about Indiana's Firearms training for Police Officer but when I went through the Academy in Ohio, Firearms training started in Jan and went two weeks into May. Classes were Mon - Thur, 6pm - 10pm to allow for daylight and low level light training. We also went one weekend a month 8am - 5pm.

Now how many hours of FIREARMS training are there in Military Basic Training? Just curious.

Lawdog76,

Its called "Weapons Emmersion" theses days. After 19 March 2003, the Army relaized Soldiers needed more training handling weapons. 3 days after arriving at basic training they are issued a M16A2. it stays with them almost always after that 2407. On occasion they might turn it back in to the arms room. They take it everywhere...Chow Hall, ****ter, PX, Classrooms. Upon entering any hard stand building there is a weapons clearing barrel. The Soldiers must clear that weapon before entry. So basic is 9 weeks long, times 2407, minus out the first 3 days and about maybe 7 more (that is a variable not every commander has the exact same policy) and you get appx 1272 hours of training (thats just basic training). Now most soldiers will go to AIT and receive even more weapons training (variable depending on leanth of MOS school). Heres a link that goes into more detail.

Army Basic Training Changes

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    basic training is just that though. basic. they teach you fundamentals of shooting, weapon safety, etc. its when you get to a line company you do live fire drills, shoot houses and stuff like that. its unfair to judge military proficiency by basic training. could it be better? for sure. is it horrible? no. ive rarely shot outside of army functions, but i can shoot moving man sized target from a moving truck at about 75m. they must be doing something right.

you can never really get enough though, and youre right that some commanders get freaked out when you actually train how you fight.

ihateiraq,

Ft. Knox had a live fire shoot house back in 2004 for the basic trainees. EVERYTHING i have talked about was only dealing with the M16A2 rifle. Privates in Basic get to fire 1 magazine in the M9 for U.S. weapons training.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Anyone know what came of this?

If it's his first time, a letter in his file should suffice, assuming this was his first time. poop happens.

I've never forgot my gun in a bathroom (or anywhere else that wasn't my home). Did leave my cellphone and case in a Chikfila bathroom once... I got about 50 miles down I65 before I realized it. Luckily someone turned it in.

I'll help everyone here out... if you take your gun off to make bears, stick it in your undies. Even if you walk out with your pants around your ankles, you'll still have your gun, lol.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    On a couple occasions while booking a guy into the jail I have returned to my car got in and drove away. About 10 miles down the road I started to get the Oh S%&t feeling and realized that I left my weapon in the lock box in the Sally-port. 9 time out of 10 the control staff give you heck and everyone gets a laugh out of it. But leaving it unsecured somewhere I cant defend that one. I have also threw my duty belt on only to get to the SD and have our Chief Deputy ask missing something? (Due to having three kids I put my weapon in my safe every night instead of leaving it on my duty belt.) Crap happens, you cant say that you have never forgot your wallet, lunch, or other work related items and had to return home for them we have all been there. But once again leaving it at Lowe's, that is a No Go!!

I've seen others do the same thing. Almost thought that I would slip my weapon into my trunk (I have to park outside our sally port). Then I looked over and saw about 30 inmates watching me in their courtyard. I know that there is all sorts of fence and barbed wire but can I really take that chance?

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Not yet. HOWEVER when you carry day in and day out and its no big deal to you anymore.. its EASY to forget if you take it out and set it somewhere when your using the bathroom.

One trick is to place it in a way where you will see it when your finished doing your business. LIke at work, I will place it on the ground out in front of me in the private single bathroom. That way I can do my thing, wash up etc. and then I will trip over it going to the door if I were to forget it.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    As the old guy in Jurassic Park said, "I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for them."

One way or another mistakes need to be punished. If there is no ramifications for your wrong doings, then there is no lesson learned. I have never been so "complacent" with my gun that I forgot about it.

Anyway, I wonder if I have ever crapped at that Lowes?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    That pink piece of paper doesn't give us the Right. We've ALWAYS had the Right.

It's just that it is infringed because some people didn't think we did.

Yes, the Constitution gave you the right to bear arms. Yet many, many thugs go to jail each day for carrying a weapon without a permit. These are the people you don't want on the streets with one.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    femurphy77 , I'e seen different sets of rules and regulations for different departments that outlines discipline for different actions of its' officers. They first describe the action and look at the number of times it's been violated. For instance (depending on the nature, possible pun) the officer could receive anything from a verbal warning , written counseling, suspension or worse. Not knowing the trooper or the ISPs' discipline system, it could be a slap on the wrist to taking a couple of days off.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yes, the Constitution gave you the right to bear arms. Yet many, many thugs go to jail each day for carrying a weapon without a permit. These are the people you don't want on the streets with one.
    Nope. The Constitution gives no Rights to anyone. It simply lists a few of our Natural Rights and says they may not be infringed by the government. Thinking that it grants rights has taken us down a long and dangerous road.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    mrjerrell, The government "infringes" their ability every day. Without that infringement the dirtbags, meth heads, rapists, thieves (etc.) would have the ability to pack their weapons with no repercussions.

Top Bottom