• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The liberals do not think that we the citizens, are not responsible enough to own, let alone carry a gun. Yet if a police officer does something like, oh leaving his a gun in a store it's ok. I mean holly crap man, I know people make mistakes but how can you forget something so dangerous and important?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The liberals do not think that we the citizens, are not responsible enough to own, let alone carry a gun. Yet if a police officer does something like, oh leaving his a gun in a store it's ok. I mean holly crap man, I know people make mistakes but how can you forget something so dangerous and important?

No, it should not be forgotten nor it was ok for him to do this? He should be reprimanded. Yes this was a big screw up and luckily no one got hurt. Believe me, he knows he screwed up. Everyone makes mistakes that could cost someone else their life, i.e. ran a stop sign/light, pulled out in front of someone, drunk driving. But most of the time it doesn't end up that way. There's always those people that believe they never make mistakes and therefore believe they are able to past judgment on others, especially if the person that made the mistake is a police officer.

Last edited:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    yes, in a way . if its a stall i will fold my jeans over it over so the guy in the next stall can't see it .

Fair enough.

Few things...

1- How would you suggest a police officer, in uniform, with a duty belt, do that? I'm not suggesting they need to hide their gun (probably best to keep it out of sight, though), but they still need to put it somewhere.

2- I've seen the floors of some public bathrooms and I'm not happy even letting the bottom of my shoes make contact with them, let alone my pants or gun.

3- Most ccw holsters have some retention, but few people bother with straps or snaps, and once the added tension of the belt and the body against the holster is removed, pistols can very easily slip from them - especially leather.

Again, not saying anyone leaves a gun behind because of that, I'm just saying we have to be careful to not drop our guns on the floor and cause a scene.

4- Ladies who choose to carry on the belt might have a little more trouble with the roll up the pants method since their pants are usually a little smaller than most men's, and they usually carry their guns in a different position.

5- What about those of us carrying two guns?

Some cure these problems by using a shoulder holster, etc., but I think what I'm trying to point out here is that what works for you, or the next person, may not work for everyone else, and this subject really needs to be addressed more in training.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Wel if I took your stance the I guess I should start requesting the state to revoke the LTCH's of all those that aren't cops that leave their guns places. It happens a lot more than with the cops, you just don't hear about it because it's not a cop doing it.

Was it stupid??? Yep, he should have known better. Should he get discipline for it.........probably, I know I would expect it if it was me. Should he be fired for it??? Nope, not unless there is a pattern or prior incidents or more incidents of this in the future.

Yes it does happen a lot. I have done many over the past nine years. Probabaly 1/2 never claim their weapons either. Matter of fact,I think after reading this post, from now on, I just might start charging people that make that mistake with criminal recklessness since so many of the public think LEO's should lose their job over the same. Jeeezzz:rolleyes:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    never left my M4 is hajji's cave the whole time i was overseas. sorry, in that job theres some mistakes you dont make. ESPECIALY ones involving a loaded gun. what if it was at his kids school in the bathroom while he was there for a play?

when you carry a weapon you are forced to put safety checks in place to make sure you DO NOT make even one mistake, period. there are some areas where: "sh*t happens" or "everyone deserves a second chance" DONT APPLY! but thats just me.

What's it like to be perfect? I bet it is great ain't it?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes it does happen a lot. I have done many over the past nine years. Probabaly 1/2 never claim their weapons either. Matter of fact,I think after reading this post, from now on, I just might start charging people that make that mistake with criminal recklessness since so many of the public think LEO's should lose their job over the same. Jeeezzz:rolleyes:

I do not necessarily think he should lose his job, however I do think he should be severely punished for his lack of responsibility.

What will his punishment be?! Hazing for several years from his peers?!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I do not necessarily think he should lose his job, however I do think he should be severely punished for his lack of responsibility.

What will his punishment be?! Hazing for several years from his peers?!

Hazing for years at the minimum is my guess.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ya' know, I really don't understand why the media does this "Glock 17, 9mm semiautomatic handgun"? Do they say "1973 Nova 350 V8, 3 speed manual" or "2010 Toyota Prius, 1.8 litre hybrid, 134 HP CVT Fully Automatic"? No, they don't.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    1- How would you suggest a police officer, in uniform, with a duty belt, do that? I'm not suggesting they need to hide their gun (probably best to keep it out of sight, though), but they still need to put it somewhere.
    That's different than this situation. This ISP was off-duty, in civilian clothes. If the cop is in uniform, there are still several options available, from hanging the duty belt on the back of the door (relatively non-secure as pointed out with the grabbing-the-purse-handle-from-over-the-door) to hanging his duty belt over his shoulder or around his neck while completing his business. None would be too comfortable or easy to accomplish, but improvise and overcome.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What's it like to be perfect? I bet it is great ain't it?

i dont know you tell me?? the only ones giving me crap for thinking he needs fired are cops like you. just proves my point that most all of you stick together no matter what you do. just like taking each other home when drunk. man wish i could pull my co-workers over when they were drunk and put them to bed. without charges.

i dont think im perfect but i will tell you it has never happened and as long as a thermo nuclear device doesnt go off while im taking a marathon dump and throw me away from my weapon then it never will either. if i was him i would resign. and thats not BS thats the truth, you can doubt me all you want but i would. so whats good for me is good for him. i NEVER hold higher expectations for others than I hold for myself. When I was a Sgt. i truely did work for a living. I lead by example and from the front like i was supposed to do. BE AN EXAMPLE when your a cop. this man is not an example, i dont care if he previously took a bullet for the governor or save an orphan from drowning, whatever, dont matter, he was doing his job, simple. but when he left his gun where any criminal or child could pick it up and shoot themselves or some other innocent person then thats where its inexcusable. if someone would have died would you change your mind? what would he have to do different for that to happen??? NOTHING, just the same thing he did. on any other day a kid who thought it was a toy could have picked it up and killed someone or themself. the fact that it didnt happen is a mirracle and doesnt matter. in America its pitiful, most people need something bad to happen before they WAKE UP!!! well how about squashing things the first time and preparing so the BIG things dont happen to begin with.

So you go ahead and start charging people who you find that leave their guns laying around with criminal recklessness, because they deserve it. but you better charge your boys in blue with the same damn thing if your gonna do it for a civilian, no one is above the law, NO ONE!! you are not the law, you just try to enforce it, when you actually know it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    i dont know you tell me?? the only ones giving me crap for thinking he needs fired are cops like you. just proves my point that most all of you stick together no matter what you do. just like taking each other home when drunk. man wish i could pull my co-workers over when they were drunk and put them to bed. without charges.

i dont think im perfect but i will tell you it has never happened and as long as a thermo nuclear device doesnt go off while im taking a marathon dump and throw me away from my weapon then it never will either. if i was him i would resign. and thats not BS thats the truth, you can doubt me all you want but i would. so whats good for me is good for him. i NEVER hold higher expectations for others than I hold for myself. When I was a Sgt. i truely did work for a living. I lead by example and from the front like i was supposed to do. BE AN EXAMPLE when your a cop. this man is not an example, i dont care if he previously took a bullet for the governor or save an orphan from drowning, whatever, dont matter, he was doing his job, simple. but when he left his gun where any criminal or child could pick it up and shoot themselves or some other innocent person then thats where its inexcusable. if someone would have died would you change your mind? what would he have to do different for that to happen??? NOTHING, just the same thing he did. on any other day a kid who thought it was a toy could have picked it up and killed someone or themself. the fact that it didnt happen is a mirracle and doesnt matter. in America its pitiful, most people need something bad to happen before they WAKE UP!!! well how about squashing things the first time and preparing so the BIG things dont happen to begin with.

So you go ahead and start charging people who you find that leave their guns laying around with criminal recklessness, because they deserve it. but you better charge your boys in blue with the same damn thing if your gonna do it for a civilian, no one is above the law, NO ONE!! you are not the law, you just try to enforce it, when you actually know it.

I owe you a Rep for this post! :rockwoot:

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    That's different than this situation. This ISP was off-duty, in civilian clothes. If the cop is in uniform, there are still several options available, from hanging the duty belt on the back of the door (relatively non-secure as pointed out with the grabbing-the-purse-handle-from-over-the-door) to hanging his duty belt over his shoulder or around his neck while completing his business. None would be too comfortable or easy to accomplish, but improvise and overcome.

I think if you review the thread you'll see that I was in no way suggesting that the officer in the original story was in uniform. My points are of a general nature relevent to the subject of using public bathrooms while carrying a gun.

Nor am I saying anything is impossible or can't be overcome, I'm simply asking if everyone has thought about it, and if the plan you have is realistic for all others.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    yep i agree. fine the citizen BIG TIME. but a citizen carrying a gun is a right not a job. (and dont give me crap about its a allowed priveledge under indiana law) Its a right under the U.S. Constitution and we shouldnt even need permits in the first place. just like if he gets fired he can apply somewhere else. its not a death sentence but obviously his sense of awareness is not high enough to be a cop.

sorry man, i dont believe in second chances with weapons. just my opinion, you can have yours too.

I forgot my daughter was in the car one time. Although it was only five minutes, I think about those parents who honestly forgot and found their child dead. I am thankful it was fall and not hot out, but I still felt like crap, especially since I was a father for less than a year. I have no stones to throw.

man that still always scares the crap out of me worrying about it. my daughter is 3, but when i go out alone i still always catch myself looking in the back after i get out to make sure she isnt in her car seat even though i know shes not. i probly sound like a retard, but its a scary thought to have you kid die or be kidnapped or taken away by the law for something so stupid. im not judging you though, just saying when your a parent theres a lot of stuff to worry about, it truely does consume your whole life and every aspect, in a good way

I think the purpose of all this is that if a citizen with a LTCH had left a gun somewhere accesable to anyone we would lose are LTCH.

For all of you that are so quick to say that the Trooper should lose his job because he left his gun in the bathroom, I say that any "parent" that leaves their child at home/in a car/in a store either on accident or on purpose be sterilized on the spot so that they can't have any more children, and the child that they abandoned for someone else to find be turned over to responsible relatives (that won't leave the child unattended) or to the appropriate authorities. I don't care if you "forgot" your kid was in the car and you left them in it to bake in the sun while you went to Walmart, the mall, or even inside your house....you don't deserve to have a child from then on, and you don't deserve to have any children in your possession ever again. Your child may not kill someone if left unattended, but they themselves may be killed or picked up by someone that that has less than honorable intentions with them. It is your job as a "parent" to keep a watchful eye on your children at all times and to protect them to the best of your ability, so if you show only once even for as short a time as 15 minutes that you cannot keep a watchful eye on your child or protect them, all your parental child possessing rights are revoked....period.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I think if you review the thread you'll see that I was in no way suggesting that the officer in the original story was in uniform. My points are of a general nature relevent to the subject of using public bathrooms while carrying a gun.

Nor am I saying anything is impossible or can't be overcome, I'm simply asking if everyone has thought about it, and if the plan you have is realistic for all others.
    Okey dokey! :)

Just didn't want to see this turn into a, "Yeah, but what about..." where the situation morphs into something completely different that what actually happened.

My comments about what a uniformed officer may do with his duty belt while in a restroom still stands.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For all of you that are so quick to say that the Trooper should lose his job because he left his gun in the bathroom, I say that any "parent" that leaves their child at home/in a car/in a store either on accident or on purpose be sterilized on the spot so that they can't have any more children, and the child that they abandoned for someone else to find be turned over to responsible relatives (that won't leave the child unattended) or to the appropriate authorities.

I have absolutely no problem with this either...

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just don't see this sort of thing happening much in Indiana.

Vermont maybe, and it would be one of these guys:
    supertroopers_1.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Solution, don't crap in public.

I would like to quote from the "Man's Journal: Ask Yourself Am I Gay?" Not saying your gay, so please don't take offense to it...
    -- Rule#4. If you refuse to take a dump in a public bathroom or **** in a parking
    lot, you crave a deep homosexual relationship. A man's world is his bathroom; he defecates and urinates where he pleases.

Top Bottom