Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Name calling is childish, juvenile behavior. Doesn't match with the responsibility of those posting on a gun forum. The name callers should stick to only doing it on their HuffPo or MyFace postings.

I have reported and reported and reported offensive name calling posts from the anti-gun liberals and from those on "our side." :rolleyes: I don't think the mods even look at my reported posts anymore.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I try not to get too worked up over pejoratives thrown about unless someone says something that's really over the top. Instead, focus on the argument being made and discuss that, perhaps your panties may just stay in place.

Now. About that Iraqi oil...

:popcorn:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The issue is: You guys never correct the offenders for calling our president "The Kenyan". So, I assume your bowdlerization only applies to those terms you find outside your level of personal correctness?

Camel herder might have been closer to the correct term. But the people of the sand ride as well as walk next to their beasts of burden.

My point is still valid re: oil. We've done little over the years to promote freedom in the North African and Arabian subcontinent in areas where petroleum does not exist. Frankly, that's one of the reasons we do so little in most of Africa.

you still haven't showed me where all the oil is GWB2 got us in Iraqi Freedom??????

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Name calling is childish, juvenile behavior. Doesn't match with the responsibility of those posting on a gun forum. The name callers should stick to only doing it on their HuffPo or MyFace postings.

I have reported and reported and reported offensive name calling posts from the anti-gun liberals and from those on "our side." :rolleyes: I don't think the mods even look at my reported posts anymore.

When posts get to the point where there isn't really any content other than name calling, that's when I'd say it's time to call people out for it. But if people throw in a "Kenyan" or TEAvangelical hear or there, along with actual content, I'm just not going to care a whole lot. I think people need to quit caring so much about taking offense and just deal with what's actually being said.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think people need to quit caring so much about taking offense and just deal with what's actually being said.

Whatever Commie...:)

(BTW PaulF, GFGT, Hisorian were here on Saturday and we did try to "Psychically will you" to come down the hill....You and BBI were all that was missing from out interfaith meet and greet....)

Paulf-"So where does jamil live?"

Me-"Literally right up the hill five miles that way..."

Paulf-"We need him here.."

Us-"We know....JAMIL!!!!!! COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!"

:)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's funny the way certain words offend the far right when it suits them, but "libtard" and "the Kenyan" are used so frequently on this site that one begins to wonder if some of you substitute it for the F word in your daily conversations.

His grandma claimed to have witnessed his birth in Kenya. I recall seeing video of him making the same claim himself prior to running for president. So far, the best he has offered is an obviously computer-generated birth certificate. The government requires us to present proof of qualification in advance for any number of things we do, including but not limited to numerous fields of employment and exercising constitutional rights, so as far as I am concerned, he is a Kenyan national until proven otherwise.

In case you miss the point, I am tired of the crap going on in this country and I am NOT kissing anyone ass about it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The issue is: You guys never correct the offenders for calling our president "The Kenyan". So, I assume your bowdlerization only applies to those terms you find outside your level of personal correctness?

Camel herder might have been closer to the correct term. But the people of the sand ride as well as walk next to their beasts of burden.

My point is still valid re: oil. We've done little over the years to promote freedom in the North African and Arabian subcontinent in areas where petroleum does not exist. Frankly, that's one of the reasons we do so little in most of Africa.

Well, as far as North Africa, we [STRIKE]sand****ed[/STRIKE] Arab Springed Gaddafi and his regime, the reward for which was 4 dead Americans. So that's not nothing. Granted, Libya has oil, but I really don't think the Hildabeast was after oil. I suspect Libya was more of a Résumé building action.

But I'm not going to disagree that we tend to pay most attention to the oil producing nations in the ME. If Saudi Arabia suddenly had no oil, or, oil were suddenly made obsolete, we'd likely tell the Royal Family to **** right the hell off.

As for Iraq, I think Cheney whispered words of war into Bush's ear because of Oil--Halliburton did pretty well for themselves--but I'm unconvinced that Bush actually did it for that reason. In the simplest terms, I think Bush fancied himself as doing the world a favor.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    you still haven't showed me where all the oil is GWB2 got us in Iraqi Freedom??????

His argument is much like the Wickard v. Filburn decision that (with a FDR-packed court) allowed the federal government to micromanage damned near anything and everything. The SC decision found that even if Filburn's wheat was used to feed his own stock and never left his own farm as he claimed, it is still interstate commerce because it *could* offset wheat he otherwise would have been required to buy to feed his stock which *could* have come from another state, therefore putting it under federal jurisdiction even though, again, no wheat involved in the case ever left Filburn's farm, nor did he buy any from anywhere, out of state or otherwise. Similarly, our neighbor is arguing that we are receiving a reduced market cost because the Iraqi oil we are clearly NOT pocketing ourselves being bought by other foreign countries is offsetting oil for which those other countries would be competing with us in the market (i.e., the oil they buy from Iraq reduces the demand for oil from Saudi Arabia and others). So, oil that we supposedly fought a war over is going to others offsetting oil from our usual suppliers that they would be buying otherwise.

I am not saying that I buy this as an adequate defense of the notion that the war was over oil, at least not in the context of US national interests. I could see it being involved in the context of our politicians' international owners standing to gain, but that is a wide and nebulous web that I don't even feel like trying to address right now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, as far as North Africa, we [STRIKE]sand****ed[/STRIKE] Arab Springed Gaddafi and his regime, the reward for which was 4 dead Americans. So that's not nothing. Granted, Libya has oil, but I really don't think the Hildabeast was after oil. I suspect Libya was more of a Résumé building action.

But I'm not going to disagree that we tend to pay most attention to the oil producing nations in the ME. If Saudi Arabia suddenly had no oil, or, oil were suddenly made obsolete, we'd likely tell the Royal Family to **** right the hell off.

As for Iraq, I think Cheney whispered words of war into Bush's ear because of Oil--Halliburton did pretty well for themselves--but I'm unconvinced that Bush actually did it for that reason. In the simplest terms, I think Bush fancied himself as doing the world a favor.

I agree across the board, but will focus on Iraq. The stories I heard from people I am satisfied would have reasonably good information suggest that Halliburton was circling the drain at the beginning of the war. You may recall news reports popping up frequently about them being very, very slow about paying their subcontractors, and then after a while, that stopped happening. So far as I am concerned, these two pieces support each other very nicely and make sense when taken in the context of the Cheney connection and the no-bid contracts. Personally, I am largely convinced that from Cheney's perspective it was a war to save Halliburton and, like you, am inclined to believe that Bush wasn't looking at it that way. He may have been acting on the grudge over personal issues regarding his dad and Saddam sponsoring an attempt on dad's life, he may simply have been doing what his owners told him to do, or he may have been tilting at windmills, but I agree that he had sold himself on it being a noble quest.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Similarly, our neighbor is arguing that we are receiving a reduced market cost because the Iraqi oil we are clearly NOT pocketing ourselves being bought by other foreign countries is offsetting oil for which those other countries would be competing with us in the market (i.e., the oil they buy from Iraq reduces the demand for oil from Saudi Arabia and others). So, oil that we supposedly fought a war over is going to others offsetting oil from our usual suppliers that they would be buying otherwise.
    As if Iraq would not have sold said oil if there wasn't ever a war?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Whatever Commie...:)

(BTW PaulF, GFGT, Hisorian were here on Saturday and we did try to "Psychically will you" to come down the hill....You and BBI were all that was missing from out interfaith meet and greet....)

Paulf-"So where does jamil live?"

Me-"Literally right up the hill five miles that way..."

Paulf-"We need him here.."

Us-"We know....JAMIL!!!!!! COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!"

:)

Dammit! Saturday I spent the day playing Minecraft, for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When posts get to the point where there isn't really any content other than name calling, that's when I'd say it's time to call people out for it. But if people throw in a "Kenyan" or TEAvangelical hear or there, along with actual content, I'm just not going to care a whole lot. I think people need to quit caring so much about taking offense and just deal with what's actually being said.

When we act childish, it gives fuel to our enemies. Enemies lurking and right here with us posting.
    (Evidenced in this thread?:dunno:).

This is a 2A related forum. Save the childish stuff for the childish forums.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When we act childish, it gives fuel to our enemies. Enemies lurking and right here with us posting.
    (Evidenced in this thread?:dunno:).

This is a 2A related forum. Save the childish stuff for the childish forums.

I get it. Sometimes MrJarrell does come off a bit childish.

:lmfao:

:stickpoke:

This is the political subforum. So it's already inherently childish.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

How about grammar Nazis? There's never a bad time for them to call others out, is there? :D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How about grammar Nazis? There's never a bad time for them to call others out, is there? :D

I'm okay with grammar Nazis as long as they're not using that as an argument to discredit someone's points. Well, unless the grammar Nazi is pointing out the grammar mistake of another grammar Nazi. That's always good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom