• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Well. No. Apparently you can't play that too. That's not what I said. I said, as long as they are pursuing citizenship, they should be given some kind of temporary status. But no freebies. So. And if they're lawless, they lose the temp status. I didn't say anything different from that.

Some of them? Well, first, ALL of them have been living here illegally. Some of them have been law abiding, some not. Some may be pursuing citizenship now, some not. Again, I'm not talking about anything in terms of all or nothing.

Well some of them have been here for decades. Some have served in our military. What more proof do you need?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well some of them have been here for decades. Some have served in our military. What more proof do you need?
    Ah, yes - there's the old school INGO I know and love.

some = all... every time... forever ... except when it doesn't

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah, yes - there's the old school INGO I know and love.

some = all... every time... forever ... except when it doesn't

Before we start criticizing the some=all argument....some as indicated above, some have had their DACA status revoked due to criminal activity, therefore, they are all criminals.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well. No. Apparently you can't play that too. That's not what I said. I said, as long as they are pursuing citizenship, they should be given some kind of temporary status. But no freebies. So. And if they're lawless, they lose the temp status. I didn't say anything different from that.

Some of them? Well, first, ALL of them have been living here illegally. Some of them have been law abiding, some not. Some may be pursuing citizenship now, some not. Again, I'm not talking about anything in terms of all or nothing.

I'm honestly not sure that is even technically correct. At which point after they crossed the border did they begin to live here illegally? I think one has a puncher's chance if they challenged that notion.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm honestly not sure that is even technically correct. At which point after they crossed the border did they begin to live here illegally? I think one has a puncher's chance if they challenged that notion.

Well the problem is that the term "illegally" is really, well, a legal term in this context. What was their immigration status? If they had no immigration status that specifically authorized them to live in the country, how would be describe that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well the problem is that the term "illegally" is really, well, a legal term in this context. What was their immigration status? If they had no immigration status that specifically authorized them to live in the country, how would be describe that?

Unsanctioned? :dunno:
    I'm asking at which point the DACA's started breaking the law. Is there caselaw on that?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Unsanctioned? :dunno:
    I'm asking at which point the DACA's started breaking the law. Is there caselaw on that?
    Yes and no.

There is a finite (but long) list of ways a non-citizen can legally be here. If someone cannot check one of those boxes, then they are illegally here.

More than caselaw, there is a metric shton of administrative decisions on a bazillion nuances of each line of the checklist. And the exceptions. And the exceptions to the exceptions.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes and no.

There is a finite (but long) list of ways a non-citizen can legally be here. If someone cannot check one of those boxes, then they are illegally here.

More than caselaw, there is a metric shton of administrative decisions on a bazillion nuances of each line of the checklist. And the exceptions. And the exceptions to the exceptions.

So when do they become illegal, if they were brought into the nation illegally? Is there a timeframe, as to when they become a criminal?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So when do they become illegal, if they were brought into the nation illegally? Is there a timeframe, as to when they become a criminal?

Why are you equating illegality and criminality? Plenty of things are illegal that are not criminal. This would appear to be one. If your car breaks down in a street that doesn't allow parking and you have to leave it there, is it there illegally? Have you (or it) committed a crime?

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Why are you equating illegality and criminality? Plenty of things are illegality that are not criminal. This would appear to be one.
    Yeah, I would characterize someone being here without satisfying a checklist as "unlawful." Others can argue that simply being here without satisfying the checklist is "illegal."

But, the straightest answer to the question is that as soon as a person, including a child, comes across the border without satisfying the checklist, that person is illegally present.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The emotion of how you want things doesn't make it legal or not. I honestly don't understand this. If I sneak my son into Wrigley Field he's there illegally. Doesn't mean he broke the law. But he's there illegally. It would be ridiculous to say he's there "unsanctioned".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The emotion of how you want things doesn't make it legal or not. I honestly don't understand this. If I sneak my son into Wrigley Field he's there illegally. Doesn't mean he broke the law. But he's there illegally. It would be ridiculous to say he's there "unsanctioned".

It's a grey area. They may be there illegally, but they haven't committed an illegal action.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think there should be a path to citizenship for anyone that wants it, within reasonable standards set by elected officials, in plain view of the public.

I also think that citizenship should be required to receive public benefits, including "free" use of schools, fire, and police services. And voting.

People who come here and add value to our economy and culture should be allowed a chance to naturalize. There should be rewards for those willing to take the risks of doing so, and I think citizenship should be the greatest reward among them. People who want to come here for a few months a year to make money and return home should also be able to do so legally. People who come here and cause trouble, or take more than they produce, or are unwilling to live within our laws should not be allowed to participate.

They aren't scary monsters. They are people. People will play by the rules if you give them an opportunity to. If so many people are in violation of the rules is it not a possibility the rules themselves might be the problem?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    They've been here for decades. If we've failed to do something in the beginning to prevent or correct this than we should do the right thing by them now. By the way when some of them have volunteered to serve our country they most certainly have earned the right to the privileges we often give those that failed to do so and only sit on their couch and draw welfare.

And to those that feel they took your job. I say too bad you got what you deserve because you deserve nothing and you should have got off your a** and done better to earn better.

Top Bottom