• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    [sniff]

I can only hope that INGO's collective evolution on this issue signals a larger movement within the GOP. :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yep, yep. Let's make sure we prosecute the hell out of those little six year olds that had nothing to say when it came to their parents illegal immigration. Yep yep. Let's make sure we deport those 21 year olds that have no idea what it's like to live in Mexico.

WTF? What did you not understand about giving them legal status as long as they're actively pursuing citizenship? Do you think that not just automatically granting them citizenship is not a reasonable compromise?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's what DACA is, generally. Deferred enforcement allows them to stay and pursue a track to citizenship that isn't available to people still outside our borders.

Children of illegal aliens can't pursue citizenship, or even permanent resident status, if they weren't born here.

At the risk of changing your mind, isn't that "path to citizenship" for children who came here illegally a version of amnesty?

I think you're way oversimplifying DACA. And it's not a law. It's a presidential decree, which obviously only as lasting as the person sitting in the big boy chair.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think you're way oversimplifying DACA. And it's not a law. It's a presidential decree, which obviously only as lasting as the person sitting in the big boy chair.
    Well, simplifying DACA, sure. Immigration/naturalization is VERY complicated.

As far as executive orders, I agree.

But, is providing a path to citizenship for illegal children of illegal parents without making them leave a form of amnesty?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, simplifying DACA, sure. Immigration/naturalization is VERY complicated.

As far as executive orders, I agree.

But, is providing a path to citizenship for illegal children of illegal parents without making them leave a form of amnesty?

Yes and no. The way I see it, the parents broke the law, not the children. However, the children still aren't legal citizens.

As I've said in my last post I don't mind if we give them some kind of temporary non-citizen status, which is dependent on them going through a process to become citizens, good behavior, and they're not eligible for free stuff at the expense of citizens. Also, to get there, we have to secure our borders. And I'm not talking about the wall. I really don't think that's all that effective. I'm talking about actively enforcing immigration law. Find people who aren't here legally, and deport them. Find companies who are breaking the law by hiring illegal aliens and punish them.

So. Is that amnesty?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So. Is that amnesty?
    I'm the wrong conservative to ask. I don't mind a well-structured amnesty, basically along the lines you outlined.

That's why I'm curious where you and SD4L come down on the "amnesty" question.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Yes and no. The way I see it, the parents broke the law, not the children. However, the children still aren't legal citizens.

As I've said in my last post I don't mind if we give them some kind of temporary non-citizen status, which is dependent on them going through a process to become citizens, good behavior, and they're not eligible for free stuff at the expense of citizens. Also, to get there, we have to secure our borders. And I'm not talking about the wall. I really don't think that's all that effective. I'm talking about actively enforcing immigration law. Find people who aren't here legally, and deport them. Find companies who are breaking the law by hiring illegal aliens and punish them.

So. Is that amnesty?

What do you think the majority of them have been doing for the last couple of decades? Pretty sure they had to be on their best behavior just to apply for Dacca.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What do you think the majority of them have been doing for the last couple of decades? Pretty sure they had to be on their best behavior just to apply for Dacca.
    Think about what I said, and reply to that. Don't think about what you imagine I said and then reply to what I didn't say.

I did not say deport them all if one person breaks a law. This isn't that hard. The people who break the law while pursuing citizenship get their temporary legal status revoked, and then after serving whatever time for their crime, get deported. It the majority of them are not breaking the law, then obviously not the majority of them would lose their legal status.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Think about what I said, and reply to that. Don't think about what you imagine I said and then reply to what I didn't say.

I did not say deport them all if one person breaks a law. This isn't that hard. The people who break the law while pursuing citizenship get their temporary legal status revoked, and then after serving whatever time for their crime, get deported. It the majority of them are not breaking the law, then obviously not the majority of them would lose their legal status.

I can play that too. Do try to keep up. You said they should get some kind of temporary status until they earn permanent status. What do you think some of them have been doing for the last couple of decades.?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can play that too. Do try to keep up. You said they should get some kind of temporary status until they earn permanent status.

Well. No. Apparently you can't play that too. That's not what I said. I said, as long as they are pursuing citizenship, they should be given some kind of temporary status. But no freebies. So. And if they're lawless, they lose the temp status. I didn't say anything different from that.

What do you think some of them have been doing for the last couple of decades.?

Some of them? Well, first, ALL of them have been living here illegally. Some of them have been law abiding, some not. Some may be pursuing citizenship now, some not. Again, I'm not talking about anything in terms of all or nothing.

Top Bottom