Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Where's ATM been? :dunno:

Good question.

The macro setting? I think that's the setting that gives you the shallow depth of field...:dunno: It's been a while since I've done anything with photogrophy (more than just point and shoot).

It's actually the aperature, or Av on a camera. The wider the lens is open (lower the Av setting), the shallower the depth of field.

Lenses that are "fast" -- that is they can be shot wide open with a low Av are very expensive. Those are the types used for sports to isolate action, or also for low light shooting. I have a couple "fast" Canon L lenses that cost about as much as several guns combined. Good glass is just not cheap -- the same goes for good optics for rifles as well.

Yep, that's it. What you just said is basically word for word my Momz told me, it just went over my head and I forgot.:n00b:

I got a Canon Xti 400, got 3 lens for it, factory 18-57, factory 100-300 and a Tamron 28-250.

Love it to death, my fav place to shot pics is at the yearly Indy Air Show at Mount Comfort where I'm snapping excess of 1200 pics for the day.

I'd love to buy a f2.0 400mm IS lens for it, but I could go out a buy 3 high priced outfitted AR's on what it would cost. Besides the wife not having a job right now does not help.

I'm too new to spend any serious money on stuff yet, but the more I learn, the more I want nicer stuff for it.

So is Canon vs. Nikon like Glock vs. 1911 debates?

After reading on here in past threads, people love their Canons/Nikons and when I asked my Mom why she doesn't have a Canon, she told me Nikons are much nicer.:dunno:

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I've lost almost 40lbs since school started just from eating better....

Since I've been getting a little more serious, I've lost 10lbs in the past 3 weeks. I really should get out and work out more. That would help out a lot.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Nikons and Canons are both great platforms.

Next time you watch a sporting event, take a look at the all the professional photographers. Notice the color of their lenses.... white.

Those would be Canon "L" lenses.

'Nuff said!

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    There seems to be a lot of photographers here on INGO... maybe we should organize an INGO photo and gun shoot! :rockwoot:

Its making me want to learn more.... I think I'm going to look up a photography class for next semester.

I only have 9 credit hours left until I get my degree.... That's not even full time. I have plenty of room to spare.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I could definitely afford to lose a few lbs, but if I lost 40 lbs I'd be too skinny for comfort...6'6" and 215 would look ridiculous IMO.

starving_small.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Nikons and Canons are both great platforms.

Next time you watch a sporting event, take a look at the all the professional photographers. Notice the color of their lenses.... white.

Those would be Canon "L" lenses.

'Nuff said!

Fair enough...I lack the knowledge to pay attention to something like that...I do know that dating back to when I was in high school to present time, there has always been a prof photographer at the football games, as well as my brother's games now, and my Mom's pictures look much better and are used more often.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Activity makes a world of difference.
    Should be a lot easier since its warming up.

Bazooka, I'm almost to the 40 mark. I really chunked up last year... :facepalm:

I'm engaged to a future dietician... Cutting portions down and most of the crap out helped a lot. I usually eat whatever I want, but as long as calories in < calories out, I'm good to go.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Fair enough...I lack the knowledge to pay attention to something like that...I do know that dating back to when I was in high school to present time, there has always been a prof photographer at the football games, as well as my brother's games now, and my Mom's pictures look much better and are used more often.

I was just kidding!

Both Nikon and Canon have great glass. Once you start making an investment in lenses, you usually stay with that platform. I will be Canon for life most likely because of the lenses I own. But, Nikon's are just as good!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    They don't make a 400 2.0., but they do make a 400 2.8. It's about 6K!

Digital SLRs are awesome. It is nice to be able to shoot lots of pics and experiment. No film to worry about.

There seems to be a lot of photographers here on INGO... maybe we should organize an INGO photo and gun shoot! :rockwoot:

Heck it's been 2 years since I checked lens prices and after you mentioning it, yes it was a 2.8.

Digital is the way to go, pooch a shot and delete it right then or just see how much of a crazy shot you can get.

Hey I'd go for a INGO Photo and Gun Shoot, I think it'd be great. I think my next purchase for the camera will be a battery grip, 2 more batteries and 2 more high speed CF cards. Wish they'd make a converter for SD to flash so I could slide in my SD cards.

So is Canon vs. Nikon like Glock vs. 1911 debates?

After reading on here in past threads, people love their Canons/Nikons and when I asked my Mom why she doesn't have a Canon, she told me Nikons are much nicer.:dunno:

Yes it's the same as the Glock/1911/XD debates. I tried both before I bought mine and liked the Canon better.

But here's a good one for you...... I do believe that most major sports photographers use Canon, and at the Indy Airshow I see about a 2-1 ratio Canon's vs Nikon's.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was just kidding!

Kidding or not, it would have went over my head either way.:n00b:

I have no clue...BUT want to learn.

Both Nikon and Canon have great glass. Once you start making an investment in lenses, you usually stay with that platform. I will be Canon for life most likely because of the lenses I own. But, Nikon's are just as good!

I actually asked my Momma about this less than a week ago(she's trying to get back into shape, so I take Leonidas over there and we've been walking together). I asked her if she wouldn't switch because of the money she has invested and she told me she wouldn't hesitate to give me her camera and lenses to Kara and I(we could only be so lucky) and switch to Canon if she thought it was better, but she just prefers Nikon.

Yeah, so back to the Glop vs 1911 debate.

(Yeah, I said "Glop")

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom