• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I just love the feature on it(again, can't think of the name) that makes everything in the background completely blurry and the person(persons) you are taking pictures of are sharp and clear.

The macro setting? I think that's the setting that gives you the shallow depth of field...:dunno: It's been a while since I've done anything with photogrophy (more than just point and shoot).

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The macro setting? I think that's the one that gives you the shallow depth of field...:dunno: It's been a while since I've done anything with photogrophy (more than just point and shoot).

It's actually the aperature, or Av on a camera. The wider the lens is open (lower the Av setting), the shallower the depth of field.

Lenses that are "fast" -- that is they can be shot wide open with a low Av are very expensive. Those are the types used for sports to isolate action, or also for low light shooting. I have a couple "fast" Canon L lenses that cost about as much as several guns combined. Good glass is just not cheap -- the same goes for good optics for rifles as well.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a Nikon D5000...I'm a complete newb when it comes to cameras and lenses, so I let my Mom, who is by far the best photographer I know, guide me.

I got a Canon Xti 400, got 3 lens for it, factory 18-57, factory 100-300 and a Tamron 28-250.

Love it to death, my fav place to shot pics is at the yearly Indy Air Show at Mount Comfort where I'm snapping excess of 1200 pics for the day.

I'd love to buy a f2.0 400mm IS lens for it, but I could go out a buy 3 high priced outfitted AR's on what it would cost. Besides the wife not having a job right now does not help.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    It's actually the aperature, or Av on a camera. The wider the lens is open (lower the Av setting), the shallower the depth of field.

Lenses that are "fast" -- that is they can be shot wide open with a low Av are very expensive. Those are the types used for sports to isolate action, or also for low light shooting. I have a couple "fast" Canon L lenses that cost about as much as several guns combined. Good glass is just not cheap -- the same goes for good optics for rifles as well.
    Ok, thanks... It's been awhile
    I thought he was talking about a digital camera .... From high school photography class, I still remember the trick of opening the aperture all the way (the smallest F stop #?) before taking the pic to achieve the shallow depth of field.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    We need to go shoot photos sometime. I can help you out with the technical stuff. I can also teach you some basic composition stuff that will help make your photos pop.

Absolutely...But not before we go shooting that other hobby of ours.:D

My Mom enjoys taking pictures of people much more than nature. She has her hot spots around the area that are great for pictures and takes family (or just kids) photos for everyone she(or someone close to her) knows.

To this date, she hasn't asked or accepted a penny from anyone(despite the $10K+ she has invested in her equipment), she just enjoys doing it.

She's constantly giving Kara and I pointers on what to do and it's been helping, but I'd also like to get in to the nature side of photography as well...I've seen some of the photos you've taken and I'm sure I could learn a thing or three from you, so if you are willing sometime I'd be more than happy to take you up on your offer.:yesway:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I got a Canon Xti 400, got 3 lens for it, factory 18-57, factory 100-300 and a Tamron 28-250.

Love it to death, my fav place to shot pics is at the yearly Indy Air Show at Mount Comfort where I'm snapping excess of 1200 pics for the day.

I'd love to buy a f2.0 400mm IS lens for it, but I could go out a buy 3 high priced outfitted AR's on what it would cost. Besides the wife not having a job right now does not help.

They don't make a 400 2.0., but they do make a 400 2.8. It's about 6K!

I've got a 300 2.8 and a 400 5.6. I also shoot with the fabulous 24-70 2.8L. It's my most used lens.

One of the sharpest lenses I own is a 70-200L. It can be had for the price of a nicely outfitted AR... not really bad if you think about it.

Pami (the mod) and I both shoot with 7d's now. I also have a 5d that I use when a full frame works best.

Digital SLRs are awesome. It is nice to be able to shoot lots of pics and experiment. No film to worry about.

There seems to be a lot of photographers here on INGO... maybe we should organize an INGO photo and gun shoot! :rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom