• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Question: Do you folks that have external safeties on your handguns "ride" your thumb on them when shooting or let your thumb go under them? Saw a little malfunction yesterday related to this and I'm just curious how most shooters go about it. I disdain any safeties on a handgun, but I think if I had to shoot one with an external thumb safety I'd ride the thumb on top.

I saw something similar and thought the same thing. Those thumb safeties become thumb rests to me; I always ride the top of them so my thumb couldn't ever accidentally flip it to safe during firing.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Speaking of this- not for Brent, but for you- try to recall and remember everything you did on that one stage III run you made. Positioning was good and run was clean and fast. That's needs to be duplicated every time. Maybe with those sights as well.

The sights helped big time. But actually discovering that I could take a bit of speed off and just look for those sights, which were easier to see now, helped a lot! That was my best Stage 3 run I had ever put together, even with the mag + short's pocket fumbling taken into consideration. The difference between my last 2 SSP classifier runs, especially Stage 3 was big. I shaved over 10 seconds off my final score this time. Which if I could do that, and seeing your determination to push a bit further and faster, is going to give me the motivation to find the next 10 seconds I need to make a run for Master. It isn't going to be what I am going to worry about for a bit, but it will be on e docket!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Question: Do you folks that have external safeties on your handguns "ride" your thumb on them when shooting or let your thumb go under them? Saw a little malfunction yesterday related to this and I'm just curious how most shooters go about it. I disdain any safeties on a handgun, but I think if I had to shoot one with an external thumb safety I'd ride the thumb on top.

Yeah, I definitely ride the top. My CZ's is shaped almost like it was made for that purpose alone & has way more definitive notch/click, so I couldn't imagine is being kicked on by accident too easily. The M&P is close in size, just a bit smaller and I could see it possibly being easier to click upward under recoil maybe (does that actually happen?), as it just kinda flops up and down without much effort.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    It might not have been too bad, I do have my CDP times with the M&P, so I can at least compare. I think the thing that irritates me most is when I literally don't get say 12 of 12 shots on target. I mean it's a big piece of cardboard, even if my headshots hit the crotch area, at least they hit paper. Maybe I need to switch to a David/Goliath-style sling and stones, or perhaps baseballs... I think I'm more accurate at 20+ yards with them. :laugh:

You are being punished for ignoring that sweet CZ. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There is a lot to be said for shooting in SS and making EX later on with the new time limit (110). Intentional sandbagging bad, honest finishing just under good. :twocents:

That was my goal Saturday if I got a shot at SSP again and thankfully I did. I wanted to put a run together under 110 and after my run I scored a 108 and some change putting together my best 3stages ever in a classifier. I shaved 10 seconds off my previous classifier score so it wasn't a fluke for me to it the first time.

Thanks Brent! I will be taking a hard look at that! And I wold lok for the scores sometime soon... Jay was seriously busting it trying to get them out as soon as he could. I believe he is also working on getting everything ready to submit scores to the HQ, too.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That was my goal Saturday if I got a shot at SSP again and thankfully I did. I wanted to put a run together under 110 and after my run I scored a 108 and some change putting together my best 3stages ever in a classifier. I shaved 10 seconds off my previous classifier score so it wasn't a fluke for me to it the first time.

Thanks Brent! I will be taking a hard look at that! And I wold lok for the scores sometime soon... Jay was seriously busting it trying to get them out as soon as he could. I believe he is also working on getting everything ready to submit scores to the HQ, too.

Good job man!

I would have been surprised if the scores were out today. I think I heard something around 40 shooters went through the classifier. That's a whole lot of chicken peckin on a calculator!:laugh:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville

Wow, nice job on the sub-110!
    Good job man!

I would have been surprised if the scores were out today. I think I heard something around 40 shooters went through the classifier. That's a whole lot of chicken peckin on a calculator!:laugh:

Indeed, I counted 37 on the schedule after I moved up to 10am, plus any walk-ons that happened to show.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good job man!

Thanks! Yeah, you figure 40 shooters and with this being very official I know they are taking the time to do it up proper.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That was my goal Saturday if I got a shot at SSP again and thankfully I did. I wanted to put a run together under 110 and after my run I scored a 108 and some change putting together my best 3stages ever in a classifier.

:yesway: I think that is where you wanta be, between the posts with some good air all the way around. I just barely eeked into SS a good while back & it would have been more fun seeing most of my scores with the MM.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom