• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Is it me, am I doing it wrong or what?...but on Stage 3 it doesn't look like he is behind cover while engaging those targets. He barely moves his body around the barricade like he could see all 3 targets at the same time; his body barely moves at all. Is my technique wrong, am I not doing it properly? That is a helluva score and I'm not picking but it seems to me, at least from that angle, that the way he is working cover and the way I have been are 2 completely different things. Thoughts? I got some things to check out tomorrow :D He might be far enough back from cover to not have to move that much or have I just been using the wrong technique?

OK, here's the deal on Stage III. Cover isn't used/called for there like in a normal course of fire. What you can't do is have your feet touch the ground beyond the barricade. In a normal COF you have to have 100% of your lower body behind cover, 50% of upper. On the classifier you can have a whole leg and foot hanging out so long as the foot and leg don't go beyond the barricade. Upper body doesn't matter. Put another way: in a regular course of fire the outside of your foot must be within cover. On the classifier the inside of your foot must be on the line of cover.

I think these are the same rules as Bianchi uses for barricade shooting:twocents:

I'd have to watch it again to see, but a lot of the body not moving is probably because he is moving from his knees. Also note the distance back from the barricade. Makes a huge difference in how much the body is shifting for sight alignment.

So, to answer your question: yes, your technique is wrong:laugh::laugh:

Found it: PP1Ba
    a. The competitor’s foot touches the ground beyond the
    side of the barricade on Stage 3 of the Classifier. One (1)
    PE is assessed regardless of the number of shots fired.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Oooh.....just found this in the new rulebook. Barricade use has changed- now it specifies using it as "cover." So, this might be last time we can let it all hang out:laugh:

Draw and fire 2 shots each at T1 - T3 in Tactical Priority
    from either side of the barricade using cover, do a Loaded
    Chamber Reload and fire 2 shots each at T1 - T3 in Tactical
    Priority from the opposite side of the barricade using cover.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    OK, here's the deal on Stage III. Cover isn't used/called for there like in a normal course of fire. What you can't do is have your feet touch the ground beyond the barricade. In a normal COF you have to have 100% of your lower body behind cover, 50% of upper. On the classifier you can have a whole leg and foot hanging out so long as the foot and leg don't go beyond the barricade. Upper body doesn't matter. Put another way: in a regular course of fire the outside of your foot must be within cover. On the classifier the inside of your foot must be on the line of cover.

I think these are the same rules as Bianchi uses for barricade shooting:twocents:

I'd have to watch it again to see, but a lot of the body not moving is probably because he is moving from his knees. Also note the distance back from the barricade. Makes a huge difference in how much the body is shifting for sight alignment.

So, to answer your question: yes, your technique is wrong:laugh::laugh:

Found it: PP1Ba
    a. The competitor’s foot touches the ground beyond the
    side of the barricade on Stage 3 of the Classifier. One (1)
    PE is assessed regardless of the number of shots fired.

So oddly enough, I was actually using cover from the barricade properly for the new rulebook years ahead of time...is that what I am hearing? LOL It would be appropriate since I've always done the flat-footed reload using cover as a stationary position instead of a state of being. (our last RB IDPA I could have dinged a few shooters for leaving cover with an empty weapon)

So, I can actually expose myself (yikes, that sounded wrong) to all 3 targets at once as long as my foot doesn't go beyond the side of the barricade, correct? But the new way, as of Oct 1 will be completely slicing the pie, right?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So oddly enough, I was actually using cover from the barricade properly for the new rulebook years ahead of time...is that what I am hearing? LOL It would be appropriate since I've always done the flat-footed reload using cover as a stationary position instead of a state of being. (our last RB IDPA I could have dinged a few shooters for leaving cover with an empty weapon)

So, I can actually expose myself (yikes, that sounded wrong) to all 3 targets at once as long as my foot doesn't go beyond the side of the barricade, correct? But the new way, as of Oct 1 will be completely slicing the pie, right?

Yes, you were years ahead of the pack on this one!:laugh: Even standing as far back and over as I do, I can't see all the targets at once. What my positioning does is make it so that very little movement is needed to bring the next target in view. When the barricade is treated as "cover" I'll have to lean more or shuffle around to get where I need to be....although the new book says that cover extends to infinity??? Don't know how that bears into it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yes, you were years ahead of the pack on this one!:laugh: Even standing as far back and over as I do, I can't see all the targets at once. What my positioning does is make it so that very little movement is needed to bring the next target in view. When the barricade is treated as "cover" I'll have to lean more or shuffle around to get where I need to be....although the new book says that cover extends to infinity??? Don't know how that bears into it.

I always knew I was a trend-setter! Cover on classifier, flat-footed reloads and no more round-dumping! That has me written all over it! :laugh:

Fightin Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013

I got nailed on leaving cover with an empty chamber in the house I think. After the first mover I was at slide lock and I reloaded on the way to the next target around the corner.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I got nailed on leaving cover with an empty chamber in the house I think. After the first mover I was at slide lock and I reloaded on the way to the next target around the corner.

You may or may not have gotten the penalty. I did see at least one other shooter that did the same thing...after Oct 1 it is a must call penalty.

So....who is ready for some classifying?!?!

Fightin Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Whats to keep a guy (or gal) from sandbagging the classifier so you could own a slower classification? ie. make marksman on purpose so you can run away with it. Not that I would do that, I'm entirely too competitive.lol

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Whats to keep a guy (or gal) from sandbagging the classifier so you could own a slower classification? ie. make marksman on purpose so you can run away with it. Not that I would do that, I'm entirely too competitive.lol

It would only do you good until you shot a larger match, one where scores are reported to IDPA Headquarters, and if you would own MM, or any classification below Master for that matter, they would bump you up a class or two. At our club level it wouldn't matter at all since we only play for bragging rights.

Fightin Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    It would only do you good until you shot a larger match, one where scores are reported to IDPA Headquarters, and if you would own MM, or any classification below Master for that matter, they would bump you up a class or two. At our club level it wouldn't matter at all since we only play for bragging rights.

Cool, just wandering. How does one get to those big matches? Can any IDPA member just show up or do you get invited due to scores or...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

There are two things you shooters want to be in IDPA- a grandbagger and a sandbagger. A grandbagger because you will reveal very quickly to all that you are not what you are saying you are. This affects only you and the rest of us really don't care. Conversely, sandbaggers do hurt other who are honestly in those classes. There is no need to own a class by 50 points just to discourage those who are honestly shooting at that level.:twocents:

Fightin Irish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    There are two things you shooters want to be in IDPA- a grandbagger and a sandbagger. A grandbagger because you will reveal very quickly to all that you are not what you are saying you are. This affects only you and the rest of us really don't care. Conversely, sandbaggers do hurt other who are honestly in those classes. There is no need to own a class by 50 points just to discourage those who are honestly shooting at that level.:twocents:

Right on! Like I said I could never grand/sandbag, I'm waaay to competitive in nature. I was just wandering what would keep a person from doing it if it was in fact beneficial in some way. Will you be there tomorrow?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Cool, just wandering. How does one get to those big matches? Can any IDPA member just show up or do you get invited due to scores or...

There are some matches that do require an invitation, like the IDPA match shot at the S&W headquarters I believe. All others just require you to be an IDPA member for anything larger than a basic club-level match. The one several of us are going to in Sellersberg Indiana in October is like that....just an IDPA member with the entry fee!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Right on! Like I said I could never grand/sandbag, I'm waaay to competitive in nature. I was just wandering what would keep a person from doing it if it was in fact beneficial in some way. Will you be there tomorrow?

There is really nothing keeping a person from doing it except their own integrity or lack thereof.

Oh yeah, I'll be there! Going to make a serious run in ESR and a "what can I do" fun run in some bottom feeding pistol.

Top Bottom