• ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    So spill it and let everybody know how you all did :D

Personally, I was 44th out of 74, so just under the middle mark. Mostly A & C shots which is cool, but 4 mike's which isn't. Two were on the same target.
    It would seem I need to speed up a bit in this sport and work my accuracy a bit more in IDPA :dunno:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My scores didn't get recorded so I'll never know for sure (it is just exactly like squadding with you guys in idpa, if I'm not doing 100% of the work then everybody goes all helpless).
    I think probably 4 top 25% stages and 2 that I really don't want to think about (although not thinking was the problem so there may be a lesson here).

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Personally, I was 44th out of 74, so just under the middle mark. Mostly A & C shots which is cool, but 4 mike's which isn't. Two were on the same target.
    It would seem I need to speed up a bit in this sport and work my accuracy a bit more in IDPA :dunno:

Brent if I might suggest don't give up accuracy for speed.
    If you look at the combined results and click on your name it will take you to your match summery. This will give you all kinds of info.
    For Accuracy the bottom line in the chart gives you % of points shot before and after penalties. To me this is the most important info on the chart. Everyone is different and they shoot at different levels but for someone that has a competitive background like you do I would say try to keep that % between 80 and 85 % if it drops down below that SLOW DOWN on your shots and make the better hits.
    When I was shooting Major Revolver I was disappointed when I dropped below 90% and now with Minor I try to keep it between 85 and 90 % at the speed I'm shooting at.
    As for going faster well that will come as you shoot more USPSA matches and get more comfortable with it. I will say that pulling the trigger faster is usually a recipe for disaster. You, and the rest of us, have to pick up time in the non-shooting portion of the stage.
    I know this was your first USPSA match and you had a lot to remember and get used to. I RO'ed you on most of the stages you shot and the first thing you need to work on is stage breakdown. This is usually where IDPA shooters struggle for a couple of matches when trying USPSA. The big thing I saw was you shot to slidelock everytime. Someone at your level doing a mandatory reload in say a classifier, where you know you have to reload I would guess 2 seconds would be average for shot to shot. BUT when you shoot to slide lock and it takes time to realize it and do the reload and hit the slide release it probably takes 4 seconds to do that reload. You shot 1 stage and shot from one position and moved to another position and shot 2 shots and was at slide lock. If you would have reloaded while moving to that position your time on the stage would have been 4 seconds faster. There were several stages where you shot to slide lock twice, that's 8 seconds. That is a HUGE time savings.
    Like I said before you did a great job for the first time. It takes time to pick up the in and outs of the game but you will pick it up and have a blast while doing it.
    Feel free to jump on our squad any time you want.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Sweet! After hearing everybody talk about it and BossHoss break down the thought process behind it I am now officially dying to try one! Next is sometime in June, right?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Sweet! After hearing everybody talk about it and BossHoss break down the thought process behind it I am now officially dying to try one! Next is sometime in June, right?

Owensboro, 3rd Saturday every month, except Nov - Feb and I think this year there will be a skip in either July or August. Orpci.org has up to date info.

RockCastle is this Saturday :).
    Riley was last Sunday.
    Silver creek is I think every 2nd Sunday.

The orpci annual hoser match is coming up sooner or later (they call it a "no" match for no hard cover, no long range targets & no etc.). If I were you and just wanting to try things out I'd probably skip the hoser matches and definitely skip qualification matches. If you want to work on target transitions or cadence though the hoser might be a good thing.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Boss, wow that's a lot of information, but all very good points. I've been trying to keep my 'spray & pray' to a minimum and it's been working, so I guess I should stay the course.
    I totally get you on the reloads, I think it's the IDPA mentality messing me up there. I mean, one can always tac reload, but it's prob faster/habitual to slidelock, not to mention the whole not leaving ammo behind and no movign reloads. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the external viewpoints, I will definitely take everything you mentioned in stride.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Boss, wow that's a lot of information, but all very good points. I've been trying to keep my 'spray & pray' to a minimum and it's been working, so I guess I should stay the course.
    I totally get you on the reloads, I think it's the IDPA mentality messing me up there. I mean, one can always tac reload, but it's prob faster/habitual to slidelock, not to mention the whole not leaving ammo behind and no movign reloads. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the external viewpoints, I will definitely take everything you mentioned in stride.

It seems like you could shoot a USPSA course like an IDPA course easier than doing it the other way around. You'd probably pile up so many PE penalties in IDPA that you'd have no idea whatsoever of how well you'd actually done once the scores were released!

Thanks Jeff! I might try to hit one of those next month if I'm able to. Soccer is over with for the Spring and he opted to not play baseball this year so my Saturdays are a bit more open.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    It seems like you could shoot a USPSA course like an IDPA course easier than doing it the other way around. You'd probably pile up so many PE penalties in IDPA that you'd have no idea whatsoever of how well you'd actually done once the scores were released!

Thanks Jeff! I might try to hit one of those next month if I'm able to. Soccer is over with for the Spring and he opted to not play baseball this year so my Saturdays are a bit more open.
    That was one of the great things, I assume the most common PE to receive would be shooting outside boundries/faultlines. I also found you can run around outside those boundaries without penalty as long as not shots are fired until entering back into legal area. :thumbsup:

Plan it! June 21st! If you want I can chip in on gas or park at my place and ride with me.
    Just think, three competition weekends in a row, what could be better?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That was one of the great things, I assume the most common PE to receive would be shooting outside boundries/faultlines. I also found you can run around outside those boundaries without penalty as long as not shots are fired until entering back into legal area. :thumbsup:

Plan it! June 21st! If you want I can chip in on gas or park at my place and ride with me.
    Just think, three competition weekends in a row, what could be better?

I like it! Remember that the cowboys take over at WSSC in June so you'll have a week off in between. We will be coming back from vacation and I'll be ready to make some noise by the 21st! what time does it all start?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Same as RB, 9am sign-up, 9:30 new shooter and start at 10.
    48 miles from my house, so just under an hour drive.

And you remember how the Earps handled the "Cowboys", right? I'm even working on the moustache to back me up. :laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Same as RB, 9am sign-up, 9:30 new shooter and start at 10.
    48 miles from my house, so just under an hour drive.

And you remember how the Earps handled the "Cowboys", right? I'm even working on the moustache to back me up. :laugh:

Sweet! You leave the house about 8 then? I'd probably have to leave the house about 7:15 or so but that isn't too bad. We'll work on it the week of, see how I feel after vacation!

Can't wait to see the 'stash!!! :D I'm your huckleberry!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think I left about 8am'ish, I stopped at McD's on the way, got there at ~9:10 maybe?

A later in the day option would be:

Instructional League
    The subject of this class is how to breakdown and shoot USPSA stages. For those wanting to improve their scores in USPSA shooting this is the place to do so. We shoot two field courses and one speed shoot per session, and unlike a match we shoot the stages twice. The session will be run like a match and scored like a match. Feedback will be provided on an individual basis and general comments and suggestions about breaking down the stage will be issued as well. The league will also be scored as a match.

I think it is 2-6 pm fast time at Riley conservation club (this side of Terra Haute). Price is good (35 I think) and I'm guessing that in addition to the learning part it will be as much fun as shooting a match.
    Last year I did the competition 101 class (in a thunderstorm) we all had a good time and learned a bit. This year I'm going to do the instructional league thing, either when Owensboro does the "no" match or in August when they take the month off. If it tweaks your interest the details are at brightfirearmstraining.com or something similar.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That sounds awesome too! But we seriously need somebody in the Evansville area putting these on! I talked to Jay and Jim and suggested that the WSSC try to put on a USPSA-style match and see if that is something the WSSC could handle now that some berm work has been done. Would be a nice change of pace and possibly grow into something bigger in the future if it takes off.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    +1
    I was thinking about this same thing. I guess RB used to have a IPSC club, but obviously doesn't now. I assume a person in charge decided to move on/quit and it went defunct. Would be cool to see at least one club pick up USPSA once a month. Seems you can run a lot of stages with some basic steel and paper, don't even have to get super fancy with movers and complicated props.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    LOL, I almost bumped it last night but figured Mike or someone would come along and do it. :):

Completely off-topic, anyone know someone with a used Dillon 550/650 or Horny LNL AP in good condition for sale? Been pondering moving up out of laziness (4 ram pulls per round is hard work!) :laugh:

Top Bottom