• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    No kidding! I remember as a kid taking my dad to work and you drove with windows up and didn't let off the gas for any reason LOL You took a wrong turn you might not be heard from again! It looks better now but back then it was incredible how scary it was driving through there as a kid!

On a different note TJ, why did you opt for the 4.25" M&P over the 5"? I've been tempted by the 5" Pro for a long time and would love to pick one up for IDPA but I dearly love my 4.25" Pro... is that extra 3/4" really worth it? I know I could change out sights since I am not to crazy out the night sights for competition but several online places have the 5" Pro for around $544 and that is a heck of a deal. don't know if I shouldn't just stick with the 4.25" for several matches and see how it goes or get the 5" since and keep my 4.25 Pro for carry. Thoughts, anybody?

I can only imagine. Can't say I didn't have any skeered feelings going through there carrying and following a cop at age 37:laugh:

I opted for the 4" because I have found that sights come back on target faster/easier with guns in that length. Seems to be true, for me, in auto and revo. Plus, there's a whole scientific explanation as to why recoil works this way in FS vs L. All the same, most guys that go to an L seem to be happy with the change. They do feel/balance better in the hand and give you more sight radius. You can also make pf a little bit easier, but you also have to make sure your load can still cycle that longer, heavier spring. I'm running a 12lb spring in my M&P, I don't think I would get away with that in a fs.

If it was me I'd just stick with the 4" and see how things go.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can only imagine. Can't say I didn't have any skeered feelings going through there carrying and following a cop at age 37:laugh:

I opted for the 4" because I have found that sights come back on target faster/easier with guns in that length. Seems to be true, for me, in auto and revo. Plus, there's a whole scientific explanation as to why recoil works this way in FS vs L. All the same, most guys that go to an L seem to be happy with the change. They do feel/balance better in the hand and give you more sight radius. You can also make pf a little bit easier, but you also have to make sure your load can still cycle that longer, heavier spring. I'm running a 12lb spring in my M&P, I don't think I would get away with that in a fs.

If it was me I'd just stick with the 4" and see how things go.

My thoughts were to stick with the one I have and pick up a 9c for carry and BUG matches OR since I like carrying the M&P9 I have to get the 5" Pro to use exclusively for competition and keep the 9 for carry and back-up.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No kidding! I remember as a kid taking my dad to work and you drove with windows up and didn't let off the gas for any reason LOL You took a wrong turn you might not be heard from again! It looks better now but back then it was incredible how scary it was driving through there as a kid!

One of the folks from my home town had a job as the unpayed bill disconnect service person for an East St.Louis electrical utility. He came uninvited to some interesting back yards & apartments and he now has a few stories to tell, sort of "people of Wal-Mart" goes nuclear things. He said the people pretty much just took the disconnect stuff in stride though.

For me, if you are used to a 5" then you do get a quicker sight picture with a 4", but it is the sight picture that you have trained yourself to be acceptable with a 5".
    Change is evil.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    One of the folks from my home town had a job as the unpayed bill disconnect service person for an East St.Louis electrical utility. He came uninvited to some interesting back yards & apartments and he now has a few stories to tell, sort of "people of Wal-Mart" goes nuclear things. He said the people pretty much just took the disconnect stuff in stride though.

For me, if you are used to a 5" then you do get a quicker sight picture with a 4", but it is the sight picture that you have trained yourself to be acceptable with a 5".
    Change is evil.

I could imagine all the stuff he'd seen! My dad would tell all sorts of stories about stuff they'd see going on around the rail yards! He would sneak us on the train and we'd ride from St Louis to Evansville or to Mount Vernon Illinois...it was awesome! but when you'd block a crossing you'd get people throwing bottles and rocks at the train down there. My dad had somebody pull a knife on him one time in the rail yard while trying to rob guys.

As far as the M&P goes, I've only ever used the 4.25" 9mm or the 4.5" .45 so it may be the way to go. I think there is a much bigger difference overall between the Glock 17 and the 34 to justify stepping up but I'm not sure with the M&P if there is. The G34 is lighter despite being longer. I'd like to shoot a Classifier with my M&P and just compare it to my last run with the G34 and see which agrees with me more. The Glock I know I shoot faster but I seem to have higher quality hits with the M&P. Maybe it is a wash and I have this mysterious ability to shoot them equally well :D

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I could imagine all the stuff he'd seen! My dad would tell all sorts of stories about stuff they'd see going on around the rail yards! He would sneak us on the train and we'd ride from St Louis to Evansville or to Mount Vernon Illinois...it was awesome! but when you'd block a crossing you'd get people throwing bottles and rocks at the train down there. My dad had somebody pull a knife on him one time in the rail yard while trying to rob guys.

As far as the M&P goes, I've only ever used the 4.25" 9mm or the 4.5" .45 so it may be the way to go. I think there is a much bigger difference overall between the Glock 17 and the 34 to justify stepping up but I'm not sure with the M&P if there is. The G34 is lighter despite being longer. I'd like to shoot a Classifier with my M&P and just compare it to my last run with the G34 and see which agrees with me more. The Glock I know I shoot faster but I seem to have higher quality hits with the M&P. Maybe it is a wash and I have this mysterious ability to shoot them equally well :D

So, if I read this right, your dad was trying to rob guys? Like James Gang-style? :laugh:

I'd say stick with the 4.5" and pick up the compact or shield.

Classify with the M&P, if it works out, you can hook me up on the G34. :D
    I steered away from Glocks in the beginning just "because", but I'm not opposed to adding one or two to the stable if I figured out I shot them well.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So, if I read this right, your dad was trying to rob guys? Like James Gang-style? :laugh:

I'd say stick with the 4.5" and pick up the compact or shield.

Classify with the M&P, if it works out, you can hook me up on the G34. :D
    I steered away from Glocks in the beginning just "because", but I'm not opposed to adding one or two to the stable if I figured out I shot them well.

I told you it was rough down there! Lolol

just got the email about the match:

Hello Shooters,

West Side Sportsman's Club will be holding our monthly IDPA Match on Saturday, May 10th.
    Sign up starts at 10AM, new shooter orientation at 10:30AM, shooting starts at 11:00AM.

We will have 6 Courses of Fire, and there will be a minimum round count of about 100. The cost will be $10.00 per weapon. Feel free to contact me or go to the IDPA website for the rules. IDPA - Welcome!

We will also be holding a Carbine Side match after the main match is complete We will have 3 courses of fire with a total round count of 36. You will need a weapon with a magazine capacity of at least 6 rounds and you will need 2 magazine. The Carbine Side match be $5 per weapon and we will allow 22 rimfire for the Carbine Side match.

Snacks and drinks will be available.

WSSC members that would like to help setup be there at 8am.

Please be aware there is a 5 MPH speed limit on the clubs property.

I hope to see everyone on Saturday.

Thanks,
    Jay L. Hile

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    when is the MO match, this weekend?

Yep. Some will shoot today and the rest on Saturday.

Wish I was going although I guess it worked all alright. Went to make up some 45 for WSSC and don't think I've got enough for the match. If I can't figure something out I'll guess I'll be in 9 this Saturday.

Or maybe 38...hmmmm

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    They picked the right weekend to head West, they should miss any weather by the time they are ready to shoot I hope!

I'm always tempted to run a .45 but the 9 seems to agree with me more! Haven't seen you run a .38 in a long time!

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Also for anyone interested, there's a GSSF match down at Music City next weekend.

Thinking about it, our usual squad is pretty diverse in what we shoot. Glock, S&W, Ruger, CZ, and STI just to name a few. Not counting various 1911's and the occasional Sig and HK that passes through.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Also for anyone interested, there's a GSSF match down at Music City next weekend.

Thinking about it, our usual squad is pretty diverse in what we shoot. Glock, S&W, Ruger, CZ, and STI just to name a few. Not counting various 1911's and the occasional Sig and HK that passes through.

I would love to hit a GSSF match. you join GSSF you get a pretty good discount on your next Glock, too! The stages are cool and you can sign up to shoot in a lot of different divisions.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Had to re-read this post. At first, I thought you were just listing the guns the Mike shoots in a month's time:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    No, no, that's the list of gun he buys/trades in a month, not shoots. :rolleyes:

LOL I've been a pretty good boy these last 6 months or so. With the exception of selling Brent my M&P9 that I won I've not gotten rid of anything so far :D LOL I just switch camps mid-season..like the Italians in WW2 :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom