• ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    WOO HOO!!! It be me!

Who's going to The Illinois Chanpionship and the Gallatin Steam Plant Shootout?

Sweet! I think we have the entire squad to ourselves! It'll be like a family reunion!

When are those 2 matches being held? I've got vacation but after that and a few purchases I think I'll be on track to try and hit one more major this year if possible.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Sweet! I think we have the entire squad to ourselves! It'll be like a family reunion!

When are those 2 matches being held? I've got vacation but after that and a few purchases I think I'll be on track to try and hit one more major this year if possible.

Just guessing here, but I think one of them is in Illinois :nailbite:

For what it is worth, learned recently that the big boys all run a brush or bore snake through their gun every so many rounds at a match. This would have saved me some pain once this year & ditto for another guy we shoot with.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    For what it is worth, learned recently that the big boys all run a brush or bore snake through their gun every so many rounds at a match. This would have saved me some pain once this year & ditto for another guy we shoot with.

That sounds like a lot of extra trips to the safe zone if you ask me. Any reason they give or is it just the 1911 guys that have to do this? :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That sounds like a lot of extra trips to the safe zone if you ask me. Any reason they give or is it just the 1911 guys that have to do this? :D

You're thinking of safe areas in IDPA, where there might be one on a range (or none in RBs case). Of course, normal IDPA matches barely break 100 rounds a match. USPSA tends to have them around every corner with easy access. I talked to Big Don about this Saturday as evidently he had some issues at the SS Nats. Best I remember he was told to clean things out every hundred rounds or so by his gunsmith, I think. Chamber wise, it probably is more an ammo issue in a 1911.

But, I've seen some of the biggest names in the game clean everything after every stage- even dropping springs out of mags and giving them a brush out. Never mess with any of it myself. I "might" clean my gun the night before a match...maybe...if I don't have anything else going on. It's a benefit of shooting Amish style.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good point about USPSA, I was still thinking IDPA more than anything. I couldn't imagine doing a breakdown after each stage but I think I've seen pictures of some of the bigger names with a brush in their hand and their gun on a table somewhere.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville

Hah!
    But as a much as I'm all about minimizing equipment issues, I think snaking between every stage is a bit ridiculous. Unless your using mud and black powder to load with.
    I actually just cleaned the CZ mags before last weekends match. I think I've been shooting those well over 2 years without issue.

rhinoroach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Evansville

Gallatin is 25 mile north east of Nashville on June 14th and the Illinios Championship is at Sparta on June 1st.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

That is almost exactly what that another friend said before his gun jammed at the Nationals :)
    The gun that got dirty and jammed on me was an XD, it had started being sticky during unload & show clear somewhere after 120 - 180 rounds but I didn't have a brush in the bag & figured I'd get through ok. Reasons I've heard are just that crud builds up, cleaning during a 100 round match may not be worthwhile to most folks and it is probably dependent on stuff like how tight the guns chamber is and what your load recipe is and how consistent your brass is resized to the same dimensions.
    Mag cleaning is a little more persnickety I think, sometimes you drop them in some nasty stuff so the big boys say that it ain't a bad idea to clean frequently.
    Your mileage may vary, I'm not going to go nuts about this stuff but I do think I'd like to get in the habit of running a bore snake every 60 - 100 rounds.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I don't think it is a bad practice. I used to clean after every range visit but I'll stretch it out to after both IDPA matches before I'll clean them. I'm guessing there are plenty of factors like you pointed out that have to be taken into consideration. Something to mull over definitely and the amount of room a bore snake takes up is nil compared to the benefit of having one with you for that SHTF situation at a match. I may not snake but I might have to start bringing one with me. :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I may not snake but I might have to start bringing one with me. :D

Other thing. Have seen Barb and Brad E. lose front sight fiber during a match and I've lost one during practice.
    Have some pre-cut and pre-bulbed fiber pieces & a cigarette lighter in my range bag. Don't know if I'll ever need one in a jiffy but if it happens it will be cool to go all boy scout on people.
    Brad just calmly walked to the truck and brought out an identically set up back up gun, which is really smart aleck.

Stages for the Missouri State championship were posted either last night or this a.m. , lots and lots of hard cover. Reminds me that I need to order that vanity plate (D10FTN).

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I actually have a cigarette lighter in my range bag even though I don't have an FO sight...yet! I keep kicking around picking up a 5" M&P Pro to complement my 4.25" Pro I currently have. But I don't feel outgunned by the 4.25" so who knows how I will end up on this one. If it weren't for the night sights already on my M&P9 I'd be quick to replace them or just black them out like my new Glock sights I have on my G34.

I had my G19 with me at Sellersberg in case something odd happened to the G34. Turned out it was needless but carrying an extra isn't a bad notion at all! That is why I am thinking of the 5" Pro to IDPA with and my M&P9 to carry...but then I'd have to get an M&P9c so I can go all BUG Match too. All this gun switching is going to cost me some $$$ before it is over and done with...shoulda just stuck with my old Springfield 1911 :D LOL

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Other thing. Have seen Barb and Brad E. lose front sight fiber during a match and I've lost one during practice.
    Have some pre-cut and pre-bulbed fiber pieces & a cigarette lighter in my range bag. Don't know if I'll ever need one in a jiffy but if it happens it will be cool to go all boy scout on people.
    Brad just calmly walked to the truck and brought out an identically set up back up gun, which is really smart aleck.

Stages for the Missouri State championship were posted either last night or this a.m. , lots and lots of hard cover. Reminds me that I need to order that vanity plate (D10FTN).

Some of us drill holes through our front sight to make changes easier and the rods are as prone to break:twocents:

I think ya'll will like the MO match, still kicking myself for not getting on board. Found out why I was thinking January for points- it's for the World match, not nationals.

A few things that might help first timers to MO.

Don't freak out about concrete side berms, it will be alright.

When they offer to transport you to the next stage on a wagon, just get on board..do it.

Most of all enjoy! You'll see some cool stuff you probably haven't seen before prop-wise. Those boys know how to put on a match and it's a great range.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Some of us drill holes through our front sight to make changes easier and the rods are as prone to break:twocents:

I think ya'll will like the MO match, still kicking myself for not getting on board. Found out why I was thinking January for points- it's for the World match, not nationals.

A few things that might help first timers to MO.

Don't freak out about concrete side berms, it will be alright.

When they offer to transport you to the next stage on a wagon, just get on board..do it.

Most of all enjoy! You'll see some cool stuff you probably haven't seen before prop-wise. Those boys know how to put on a match and it's a great range.

Next year I'm making plans to attend at least 2 more larger matches and this one sounds like a heckofa one to attend.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Next year I'm making plans to attend at least 2 more larger matches and this one sounds like a heckofa one to attend.

It's one of the better majors I've shot, although I am saddened to see that the moving car wasn't in the stages this time around:laugh:

It's also hard to beat drivewise for most of us, 64 all the way until some other 8 lane road in St. Louis.

The real excitement for me last year was when 64 was detoured RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF EAST ST. LOUIS. Was never happier to see a cop car and follow him all the way through:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It's one of the better majors I've shot, although I am saddened to see that the moving car wasn't in the stages this time around:laugh:

It's also hard to beat drivewise for most of us, 64 all the way until some other 8 lane road in St. Louis.

The real excitement for me last year was when 64 was detoured RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF EAST ST. LOUIS. Was never happier to see a cop car and follow him all the way through:laugh:

I used to live not to far from there! My dad worked at the old L&N Rail Road that sets near 64 and the Mississippi River. you can still see parts of the old yard and tower as you drive by there I think.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thank God ya'll made it out alive!

No kidding! I remember as a kid taking my dad to work and you drove with windows up and didn't let off the gas for any reason LOL You took a wrong turn you might not be heard from again! It looks better now but back then it was incredible how scary it was driving through there as a kid!

On a different note TJ, why did you opt for the 4.25" M&P over the 5"? I've been tempted by the 5" Pro for a long time and would love to pick one up for IDPA but I dearly love my 4.25" Pro... is that extra 3/4" really worth it? I know I could change out sights since I am not too crazy about the night sights for competition but several online places have the 5" Pro for around $544 and that is a heck of a deal. don't know if I shouldn't just stick with the 4.25" for several matches and see how it goes or get the 5" since and keep my 4.25 Pro for carry. Thoughts, anybody?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom