• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Pretty cool stuff. Unfortunately, none of the trade shows (no matter the genre) have the freebies/swag like they used to. Lots of seminars for various things, we checked out one on hunting-oriented dog training and another on guns used during the Battle of the Bulge. We were wandering around near Glocks booth and I believe Tori was there signing autographs, but after circling the outside a bit trying to figure out if there was another line or just random peeps just looking like they made an unintentional line, found Mr. Ermey just around the corner with a ginormous line doing autos/photos. I thought about getting in line, but it didn't seem to move the entire time we looked around the displays and shop area.

Just being able to handle like every model of every current made pistol/rifle from your favorite manufacturer.... totally awesome. All the big ones and some smaller ones too. Tons of AR stuff, but didn't get too much into a lot of it. I did spend a bit of time at Magpuls booth though. :D

Also got our filtered plugs, which was a main reason for going in the first place. They ended up being a bit more expensive than expected and won't get them for a week or two, but no big deal and we essentially got free impressions that will be sent back to us after they are made, shipped free. I also got some good info on the products as a business opportunity.

Jeff: I know you mentioned money setting your pockets on fire, so what did you end up with? :laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Jeff: I know you mentioned money setting your pockets on fire, so what did you end up with? :laugh:

Warm pockets.

Did find a lead on a hoity toity 40 Redding caliper adjustable seating die (they are never in stock) & upgraded to Lee factory crimp dies for 40 & 9 while I was at it though. So sorta have some show stuff coming in a way. Having 1 gun with a tight chamber has got me to paying attention to stuff not getting completely resized at the base & etc.. It really sucks to go someplace like the Kolonel and have a 10 - 30 second ammo screw up.

Talked to the Springfield folks about my not so accurate XD. They said yup sometimes that happens, send it back.

On the subject of wanted goodies.

Need a rain suit for the next match like the Kolonel (or much wetter), did not buy any power pistol when I had the chance & now could use a lead, haven't called Jasper yet. Any suggestions along those lines appreciated. TJ where are you? Seems like you've probably been to enough wet matches to get the rain suit figured out?

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I sure hope we get to shoot RB Sat, no monsoons, 90 mhp winds, etc, I need just a basic good ole IDPA match with the boys.

Probably also need to relearn how to use cover and a fishing vest and hold still for slide lock reloads.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Need a rain suit for the next match like the Kolonel (or much wetter), did not buy any power pistol when I had the chance & now could use a lead, haven't called Jasper yet. Any suggestions along those lines appreciated. TJ where are you? Seems like you've probably been to enough wet matches to get the rain suit figured out?

I've indeed shot a lot of matches in rain and I do a lot of fishing in rain. Solutions are a rain poncho or $20 rainsuit from Wal-Mart (pants, not bibs, and coat). The rain poncho is the easiest to keep in your range bag and bring out when needed. It folds up fairly small but covers the needed areas of arms, hands, head and gun. Rain suits take up more real estate but keep you dry from head to ankle. I prefer wearing the upper portion of a rainsuit for matches (feet are going to get wet anyway so I'm not concerned about legs).

Also, a large trashbag with pull together cord to keep your rangebag in.

Where are you looking for powder in Jasper?

I haven't seen any Power Pistol around anywhere but due to the lack of Clays (I'm down to 5lbs) I've had to look at other options. I've got into WSF for 9 which seems to be everywhere and WST for 45, again seems to be everywhere. These are working fine and will get me through until Hogdon gets going again. Saving my Clays for majors, if I get to shoot any this year.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm going to try and make it to RB but I'll be a bit late. Soccer doesn't end until around 10 so I'll be blasting out of there and trying to make it to RB before I'm too late to play!

The Gunny's line is a slow mover...when we went to Louisville KY Cabela's opening he was there and he took all the time he wanted in greeting and talking with every fan that came along. he is a class act and it's no wonder the lines were long and not moving very quickly. I'd love to have a pic and autograph with him and either Tori, Michelle or KC from Team Glock, too.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    +1 what TJ mentioned about powder, I see WST & WSF like everywhere. Not the popular lines I guess.
    I assume you checked Red Ghost? I got a few lbs. of Tite a few weeks back, maybe he has some other stuff?

Yeah, Gunny seemed to chat and hang out with fans, which makes him ok in my book. Explaining who he was to the wife was the hard part. She's only slightly familiar with the FMJ shower scene. :laugh:

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    +1 what TJ mentioned about powder, I see WST & WSF like everywhere. Not the popular lines I guess.
    I assume you checked Red Ghost? I got a few lbs. of Tite a few weeks back, maybe he has some other stuff?

Yeah, Gunny seemed to chat and hang out with fans, which makes him ok in my book. Explaining who he was to the wife was the hard part. She's only slightly familiar with the FMJ shower scene. :laugh:

LOL Yeah, if you've never seen FMJ most wouldn't have any idea of all that he'd done from that point on. He was really and would talk at length with anybody that would come up to him in the line. He was there for SOG Knives and was engraving his signature in your SOG if you owned one or bought one.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, Gunny seemed to chat and hang out with fans, which makes him ok in my book.

Reminds me, got to shake hands with JM. Haven't washed my hand since and the draw does seem a little faster.

Thanks for the other info folks, Jeff's guns was where I was going to call in Jasper, Red Ghost I think might have gone to Indy and then made it a long weekend, back tomorrow. I'm thinking that Bill Walker loads wsf, he has only shot thousands of rounds over 10's of years though so what does he know.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Reminds me, got to shake hands with JM. Haven't washed my hand since and the draw does seem a little faster.

Thanks for the other info folks, Jeff's guns was where I was going to call in Jasper, Red Ghost I think might have gone to Indy and then made it a long weekend, back tomorrow. I'm thinking that Bill Walker loads wsf, he has only shot thousands of rounds over 10's of years though so what does he know.

Jeff won't have it. He has, literally, a small shelf of reloading stuff and the only powder you'll find there is 3031. Sorry.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I will say, loading some dummies on the dillon 650 (or maybe 1050, can't remember) with case and bullet feeders was pretty awesome. Almost feels like cheating...
    Hornady had a setup, but too many peeps in the way to try it, so I walked on by a few different times. I think I'd be alright with a 550b without all the extras though.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I just got the email from Owensboro and their mulitgun match is this Fri and Sat, I can't get off work on Fri so I guess I will be another no show for IDPA this weekend. Maybe I'll give the WSSC another chance after the last range mishap.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hope the weather cooperates so that everyone going to MO will be able to get a few local matches in before the major.

I just took a look over the MO shooter list and there was not a single ESR shooter registered, maybe I missed it. If not I guess we all decided to sit this one out:laugh:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I just got the email from Owensboro and their mulitgun match is this Fri and Sat, I can't get off work on Fri so I guess I will be another no show for IDPA this weekend. Maybe I'll give the WSSC another chance after the last range mishap.

Looks like you're bumped from WSSC as well:laugh:

Don't know if I'll shoot Owensboro this time around or RB for that matter. I was really surprised at the Owensboro results last time. I came in 5th open but didn't shoot one stage. I think I was around 100 points behind first. If I had shot that stage I think I'd come in second. Not bad for three iron sighted guns, two of which were :smileak:running against ports/dots/optics/compensators/kitchen sinks, etc. Managed to smoke a few in tac optics as well;)

I think I really need a neon colored shirt to do well at Owensboro.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So who all is on for IDPA this Saturday? I'll be pulling in late but still want to shoot. Big Man's soccer games come first! Anybody shooting anything new? I think I'm breaking out some M&P9 goodness this weekend!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So who all is on for IDPA this Saturday? I'll be pulling in late but still want to shoot. Big Man's soccer games come first! Anybody shooting anything new? I think I'm breaking out some M&P9 goodness this weekend!

Lord willing, I'll be there. Don't know if I'm shooting anything new, but maybe something old. Pulled the 625 out for some tuning and practice yesterday. Apart from my salvation in Christ, my family and church family and basic needs being met, the next most joyous thing on a earth is handling a well tuned, slicked up S&W revolver that is fed by moonclips and gives you all your brass back.

Hmm....need to see if I've got bullets to load for it. If not, it will be the bottom feeder this time.

I also have a hankering to run a match with the wife's Shield and my M&P340.

Does anyone know if there's a sidematch this time?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Does anyone know if there's a sidematch this time?

Don't know. That does bring up a thing though.
    To me a side match is a pain in the butt, makes things drag out, pulls set up help away from the main match, sometimes pulls tear down help away as well, makes people who might rather be home hang around longer till all is put up and all visitors through the gate. Attendance varies between few and very few and some of the folks are just shooting it because they have to be there anyway.

I'm often wrong, but to me it just ain't worth it. Opposite opinions very welcome.

Ps. exception being the bug matches. Those are just cool & require little to no extra work.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Don't know. That does bring up a thing though.
    To me a side match is a pain in the butt, makes things drag out, pulls set up help away from the main match, sometimes pulls tear down help away as well, makes people who might rather be home hang around longer till all is put up and all visitors through the gate. Attendance varies between few and very few and some of the folks are just shooting it because they have to be there anyway.

I'm often wrong, but to me it just ain't worth it. Opposite opinions very welcome.

Ps. exception being the bug matches. Those are just cool & require little to no extra work.

It is a lot of work for a few shooters (at least the last sidematches I shot). I appreciate the work of those (Steve, etc.) who put them on, set them up and all that stick around after.

Not to mention, for some reason firearm rules that are generally obeyed in a handgun match seem to fly out the window in long gun matches????

It would be cool and easier for those that set the courses up to coordinate with the courses for the match, similar to how Mike did the BUG match at WSSC. Little bit difficult with shotgun sidematches unless there's a course with a lot of steel.

I think a RB plate rack sidematch would be cool and fairly easy. Extra cool if the huge steel at the back of bay one (?) was used.

Top Bottom