Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like the early Rivieras. Pretty cars. If you ordered one new, you got your name on a plaque on the console...

My SIL has a 71 Rivy.
    It is an 80K survivor but is in need of some body panel work. Indiana winters will take a toll.
    I have done the engine and it is in the car.
    The steering column ignition assembly has went bonkers and would not unlock the wheel or engage the switching to run the car.
    We pulled the column and I dismantled the ignition/lock assembly. Something is askew in there but darned if we can find it.
    I need to post up with it spread out in front of me and figure it out.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My SIL has a 71 Rivy.
    It is an 80K survivor but is in need of some body panel work. Indiana winters will take a toll.
    I have done the engine and it is in the car.
    The steering column ignition assembly has went bonkers and would not unlock the wheel or engage the switching to run the car.
    We pulled the column and I dismantled the ignition/lock assembly. Something is askew in there but darned if we can find it.
    I need to post up with it spread out in front of me and figure it out.
    There are assembly manuals out there for this sort of thing.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well I did the only thing a responsible adult should do and.....immediately joined a Grand Prix forum :rockwoot:
    Welcome to the Pontiac club!! Lots of really great people in this hobby. The Grand Prix people are the best. Here is the site to the club my dad and I are part of, they have a really strong GP chapter with the nicest folks around: Pontiac, Oakland, and GMC Truck owners and enthusiasts - we invite you to join! - PONTIAC OAKLAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL (POCI)

Lots of Pontiac events around this part of the country and the newer ones are just as appreciated by most people as the older ones.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are assembly manuals out there for this sort of thing.

It was assembled properly. It just stopped allowing the key to turn into the ignition position or beyond.
    I can see what is blocking it. There is a timing issue in the mechanism. Manual might help but my Google -Foo must be weak.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It was assembled properly. It just stopped allowing the key to turn into the ignition position or beyond.
    I can see what is blocking it. There is a timing issue in the mechanism. Manual might help but my Google -Foo must be weak.
    Well if it was assembled properly, it wouldn't be malfunctioning. :p

I've not usually had luck with this sort of thing on the interwebs. Usually have to get old school with the paper manuals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well if it was assembled properly, it wouldn't be malfunctioning. :p

I've not usually had luck with this sort of thing on the interwebs. Usually have to get old school with the paper manuals.

All the "Older" guys that had these are gone now. All the knowledge/books "Poof"
    I have a chiltons but it has near to nothing about the internal working on the column.
    I meant everything is where it goes just out of sync. There is a geared assembly that pushes a plunger down the column most likely to engage the switch for the power. Need to figure out what has happened to it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    All the "Older" guys that had these are gone now. All the knowledge/books "Poof"
    I have a chiltons but it has near to nothing about the internal working on the column.
    I meant everything is where it goes just out of sync. There is a geared assembly that pushes a plunger down the column most likely to engage the switch for the power. Need to figure out what has happened to it.
    I will look tomorrow when I get to work. We have a nice library of old manuals. This a column auto? Floor? Tilt?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom