• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Everyone has different tastes. That's what makes the world go round. That's why car shows can still be fun. I prefer simple and not a lot of chrome. The AN fittings do nothing for my tastes. I like aluminum heads and intake, but have been known to paint that kinda stuff so it blends in. All depends on your goals for the car. I like stainless headers and love it when they discolor. I prefer the "business" look, but that doesn't mean it has to be ugly. :cool:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Colorful looking engine compartments are great, I've always been a fan of those AN fittings, braided hose and chrome.

Black is the highest heat emitting color, works on everything, it's the reason the SR-71 is the color it is.

Yeah braided hose and AN fittings have a classic look. But I would prefer either brushed or polished aluminum instead of chrome. To me chrome is better suited on a motorcycle

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everyone has different tastes. That's what makes the world go round. That's why car shows can still be fun. I prefer simple and not a lot of chrome. The AN fittings do nothing for my tastes. I like aluminum heads and intake, but have been known to paint that kinda stuff so it blends in. All depends on your goals for the car. I like stainless headers and love it when they discolor. I prefer the "business" look, but that doesn't mean it has to be ugly. :cool:

If you spent as many hours as I did building and turning around Indy/Imsa cars then nothing short of aircraft quality would work. I do all my own hard lines as well.
    AN or nothing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This was done with a 3M film if I remember correctly, without special materials it's almost impossible to get an all angles matte paint finish.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you spent as many hours as I did building and turning around Indy/Imsa cars then nothing short of aircraft quality would work. I do all my own hard lines as well.
    AN or nothing.
    We always hard plumb everything with steel brake line and brass fittings. Just the way I've always been taught and what I like to "see".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We always hard plumb everything with steel brake line and brass fittings. Just the way I've always been taught and what I like to "see".

Early in my Racing involvement I was tasked with doing all the lines on the cars. Hard line work in stainless is a chore but done properly is is an art. Then it became the norm to use AN/braided as more guys were capable of using it.

Hard lines are long since faded away.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Early in my Racing involvement I was tasked with doing all the lines on the cars. Hard line work in stainless is a chore but done properly is is an art. Then it became the norm to use AN/braided as more guys were capable of using it.

Hard lines are long since faded away.
    One of my favorite tasks is bending up transmission lines. Tedious, but a work of art when done.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Look at the brake lines in the BB race engine pic.

When a hard lines are done right it looks good. Requires foresight to plan it out and map out where the lines will run and what fittings will be used. Too many people just try to rush through it. But, speaking of brake lines I saw something at PRI that made me cringe. Allstar performance has a nylon brake line kit for racing applications. No kidding it seriously looks like ice maker tubing with quick release/ push lock fittings.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When a hard lines are done right it looks good. Requires foresight to plan it out and map out where the lines will run and what fittings will be used. Too many people just try to rush through it. But, speaking of brake lines I saw something at PRI that made me cringe. Allstar performance has a nylon brake line kit for racing applications. No kidding it seriously looks like ice maker tubing with quick release/ push lock fittings.
    Well brakes aren't needed for a race car. If you do, you shouldn't be racing. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That is scary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Boat trailers have been using the quick release for years and I have seen some with some sort of "plastic " line. I'm not sure I would want to use it racing, but the stuff holds up good on the trailers.

Is this a surge style brake. If not where do they get the hydraulics. I figure boat trailers do not use electric brakes for obvious reasons.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Glue guy I am in no way Knocking your power plant. It should haul a$$.
    No worries CM I know you well enough that I got what you were saying.

This will be my first black engine instead of Hugger Orange.
    I'm still getting used to it and once the hoses, wiring, and etc are installed it should come together.

I stopped by by to pick up the drive shaft to get it shortened. I asked them to replace the u-joints with spicer units while they were working on it.

Thats another buck fitty :spend:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom