• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quit making me drool! I do love that my Fairmont is Fox-Body so I can swap basically everything suspension and frame-wise with mustang parts, and a good amount of dash parts as well... I keep wanting to keep the original I6 in it... but stuff like that makes me think.... Powerball.... Powerball...!

I had a 79 with I6 wanted to put a 302 with C4trans in it. But after doing a Dukes of hazard imitation over some railroad tracks and bending the rear end housing and tthn popped the head gasket I slapped a new gasket on and sold it

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I stopped by the shop yesterday to drop off a fuel pump mounting plate.

The motor is starting to get everything bolted up before getting dropped in my truck tomorrow.

The valve covers suck but they will have to do for now. The pulley setup will get changed out when I add the vintage air kit.

894C0411-8A78-4116-AE65-27333E9681A6_zpsvamipjai.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know we are getting up there when we require the extra switch that says......."A/C"

I love the aly heads and water pump but damn it man.....SB Chevy's are "Orange"

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You know we are getting up there when we require the extra switch that says......."A/C"

I love the aly heads and water pump but damn it man.....SB Chevy's are "Orange"

I know what you mean CM. I spent several weeks deciding on color before pulling the trigger on black.
    I looked at another car sitting at the shop with an orange motor in it. It just looked like it wasn't blending in with everything else.

Everything in the engine bay is black, even the Holley will have black accents.

Black is the new Hugger Orange I guess.

Someone even tried to tell me that a black motor will run cooler :rolleyes: My little brain can't get a handle on that as being true.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know what you mean CM. I spent several weeks deciding on color before pulling the trigger on black.
    I looked at another car sitting at the shop with an orange motor in it. It just looked like it wasn't blending in with everything else.

Someone even tried to tell me that a black motor will run cooler :rolleyes: My little brain can't get a handle on that as being true.

I have heard this but how is that possible. The heat is exchanged in the Rad.
    If it does what does 2 degrees mean.....:):

Black and orange go together in my mind.

Examples.....

This is the 391 I am [putting in the 64 S/S

In the end it is all in what we want personally.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Not a chevy fan but I can attest I have seen engines painted black run a few degrees cooler. The theory is less pigment in the paint allows the metal to dissipate the heat faster

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have heard this but how is that possible. The heat is exchanged in the Rad.
    If it does what does 2 degrees mean.....:):

Black and orange go together in my mind.

Examples.....

This is the 391 I am [putting in the 64 S/S

In the end it is all in what we want personally.

Those do look good...however the smart @$$ part of me wants to say if you add one or two more color shades someone might mistake it as one of them rainbows. JKJKJK. LOL

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those do look good...however the smart @$$ part of me wants to say if you add one or two more color shades someone might mistake it as one of them rainbows. JKJKJK. LOL

Yeah you could look at it that way I guess.
    The Super charged BB engine bay was a deciding factor in my 64 S/S winning its class in the 500 world of wheels.

The gold in the 65 was a bit of a stretch but those were on the shelf. Use what ya got. I was in the depths of building 3 flat out cars in 3 to 4 years. The budget constraints were immense. If you look at the top view big block pic at the suspension brakes etc you already know......:faint: We built that car nose to tail in my little shop.

The 391 was for my 70 Camaro that was sold last summer. That marked the end of our racing involvement. I kept the engine and now have a place for it after I take out 2 1/2 points of compression and down size the cam shaft.......a lot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Colorful looking engine compartments are great, I've always been a fan of those AN fittings, braided hose and chrome.

Black is the highest heat emitting color, works on everything, it's the reason the SR-71 is the color it is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Colorful looking engine compartments are great, I've always been a fan of those AN fittings, braided hose and chrome.

Black is the highest heat emitting color, works on everything, it's the reason the SR-71 is the color it is.

Yeah but 2 to 4 degrees is not worth all that ugly......:):
    Just run a properly sized rad. and fans.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah you could look at it that way I guess.
    The Super charged BB engine bay was a deciding factor in my 64 S/S winning its class in the 500 world of wheels.

The gold in the 65 was a bit of a stretch but those were on the shelf. Use what ya got. I was in the depths of building 3 flat out cars in 3 to 4 years. The budget constraints were immense. If you look at the top view big block pic at the suspension brakes etc you already know......:faint: We built that car nose to tail in my little shop.

The 391 was for my 70 Camaro that was sold last summer. That marked the end of our racing involvement. I kept the engine and now have a place for it after I take out 2 1/2 points of compression and down size the cam shaft.......a lot.

Heck yeah use whatever you got. Dad had a set of those gold valve covers and some blue ones too. With steel core cork gaskets they didn't have a prayer. Dad used to have a problem over tightening stuff and destroyed both sets. He also destroyed some AN fittings while putting ends on hoses he could ring the guts out of a -16 with a big adjustable wrench

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom