• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    TH, yeah it has a ways to go. He works on it after work and on the weekends. Took him a while to get the body the way he wanted it before he painted it. I'm trying to talk him into a 454 but I think he is leaning toward a LS of some sort.....

CM, he wish's you had seen it on the road, that way sister would be able to park her XTS in the garage.

Nothing like the rumble of a big block but dollar to dollar it's hard to beat a decent LS motor. They make good power and easy to find

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That sounds like more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I look forward to seeing pictures of it.

It will be kind of a multi purpose car. Something to play with and that I can let my brother make some passes in. Plus I can throw a throttle stop on it and let my daughter or nephews get some seat time in. LIke my dad when I was younger I did a lot of street racing and since they been around it since birth I know what direction they are headed. My hope is maybe if they get to go to the track and drive my Fox body maybe they won't have to do it on the streets. Plus unless he hits the lottery it's not something my brother could put together

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yes they can. One of my favorite sleepers.

1979-plmouth-fairmont-drag-racing-wheelie.jpg

Just found this in Hot Rod. 460 based "big inch" Ford on NO2.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just found this in Hot Rod. 460 based "big inch" Ford on NO2.

I think I have seen that car run before. Even though it's very boxy and doesn't have much visual appeal I always liked the Fairmont Bob Glidden ran. Most people don't realize it's basically a fox body mustang with a square body. It's crazy how fast those X275 cars can run on little bity 8.5in wide radial tires. I zoomed in on the article and it's a big inch 460 based motor built by BES...I think I know exactly what engine specs that has . Prolly something in the neighborhood of 555-653 cu in.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    BES is my engine builder of choice. If I hit the lottery and money was no option he would be the one I would call on for new bullet. Him and his guys build some amazing stuff and pay better attention to details than several other engine shops I have used

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    BES is my engine builder of choice. If I hit the lottery and money was no option he would be the one I would call on for new bullet. Him and his guys build some amazing stuff and pay better attention to details than several other engine shops I have used

Too many shops are in a big hurry. They bill you full ticket but fall well short. This is why I have a machinist I trust and build my own stuff. If it pops then I missed something.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think I have seen that car run before. Even though it's very boxy and doesn't have much visual appeal I always liked the Fairmont Bob Glidden ran. Most people don't realize it's basically a fox body mustang with a square body. It's crazy how fast those X275 cars can run on little bity 8.5in wide radial tires. I zoomed in on the article and it's a big inch 460 based motor built by BES...I think I know exactly what engine specs that has . Prolly something in the neighborhood of 555-653 cu in.

That ugly tan station wagon used to be my car!! That was the worst car I ever owned and the last Ford that ever lived here.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think I have seen that car run before. Even though it's very boxy and doesn't have much visual appeal I always liked the Fairmont Bob Glidden ran. Most people don't realize it's basically a fox body mustang with a square body. It's crazy how fast those X275 cars can run on little bity 8.5in wide radial tires. I zoomed in on the article and it's a big inch 460 based motor built by BES...I think I know exactly what engine specs that has . Prolly something in the neighborhood of 555-653 cu in.

I did get a better pic of the article.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mine might have been a bit more fun with a better engine. I do remember when the transmission went out and I had to drive everywhere in first gear until I could get it fixed. Good times...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Mine might have been a bit more fun with a better engine. I do remember when the transmission went out and I had to drive everywhere in first gear until I could get it fixed. Good times...

I've did that bout 1998. Only had 1st gear left in my 1983 AMC Concord. Drove it about 3/8's of the way around the belt of Columbus, OH in 1st gear (about 35 mph or so) to trade it in. Pulled into Ricart Ford with it smoking all over and puking water from underneath. They still gave me $350 in trade for it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've did that bout 1998. Only had 1st gear left in my 1983 AMC Concord. Drove it about 3/8's of the way around the belt of Columbus, OH in 1st gear (about 35 mph or so) to trade it in. Pulled into Ricart Ford with it smoking all over and puking water from underneath. They still gave me $350 in trade for it.

As I recall my hubby (was my bf then) went to the junk yard and got $100 transmission and put it in...replaced the rear main seal since it was also leaking all over the place...and got me back on the road. Mine was that same puke tan color.

That was the car that I got locked into when the doors were all froze shut and I got the brainy idea of getting in through the tailgate. That was the only lock I was able to thaw out. The keys were in the lock...I crawled in thinking I could kick a door open from the inside. As I kicked, the tailgate fell shut. Keys were still in the lock on the outside so no way to even start the car to warm it up and thaw the doors out. The tailgate had no latch to open it from the inside. Oh yeah....good times for sure.

The kids were inside my apartment waving at me from the window cause they thought I was having fun out there in the cold and they were just toddlers so I had told them to stay inside until I got the car warmed up and came in for them.

I hated that car, but we sure have some fun stories about that one. :rockwoot:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I think I have seen that car run before. Even though it's very boxy and doesn't have much visual appeal I always liked the Fairmont Bob Glidden ran. Most people don't realize it's basically a fox body mustang with a square body. It's crazy how fast those X275 cars can run on little bity 8.5in wide radial tires. I zoomed in on the article and it's a big inch 460 based motor built by BES...I think I know exactly what engine specs that has . Prolly something in the neighborhood of 555-653 cu in.

Quit making me drool! I do love that my Fairmont is Fox-Body so I can swap basically everything suspension and frame-wise with mustang parts, and a good amount of dash parts as well... I keep wanting to keep the original I6 in it... but stuff like that makes me think.... Powerball.... Powerball...!

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I remember when Jack Roush and Wayne Gap ran their 4 door Maverick. Everybody laughed about "2 Too Many Doors", but the longer Wheelbase worked to their advantage. Jack has always been a Blue Oval guy.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I remember when Jack Roush and Wayne Gap ran their 4 door Maverick. Everybody laughed about "2 Too Many Doors", but the longer Wheelbase worked to their advantage. Jack has always been a Blue Oval guy.

Ahhh yes the Tijana taxi (however it's spelled) the old Gap/ Roush Maverick. Always been a fan of the 2dr Mavericks and even pintos tubbed with big blocks. Come on powerball. Lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom