• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In my Biscayne I had a 12 gallon cell for the engine and a 5 Gallon for the system. The delivery was isolated. 2 pumps. A big Holley pump for the engine and a Holley red for the Nitrous off the 5 gallon. I toyed with the idea of Methanol in the 5 but the associated nightmares kept me honest.
    The Red pump kept a solid 7 PSI on the plate system and I jetted to the fuel on the nitrous. Nothing like the monster systems that Thunder runs but it was a real hoot as a power adder. It was triggered on an RPM switch through a WOT micro on the throttle.

This is still a very popular way to set it up. Never thought of using a different fuel with the nitrous though.
    We just run a 3 gallon fuel cell and a Magnafuel 500 pump. It supplies enough volume to supply both carbs and the spray. We activate our with a wot switch and use a progressive controller to control how we bring the power in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is still a very popular way to set it up. Never thought of using a different fuel with the nitrous though.
    We just run a 3 gallon fuel cell and a Magnafuel 500 pump. It supplies enough volume to supply both carbs and the spray. We activate our with a wot switch and use a progressive controller to control how we bring the power in.

Pulsing the solenoids has become common on motorcycles as well.
    Have 2 buddys that still ride/race their Harleys and have the computers on them for the spray.

I always felt that having the separate pump would eliminate some of the issues running a Hi-HP plate system.
    The 2 fuel pressure gauges on the cowl were a slight give away.

I liked this one a lot. Street car...:):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pulsing the solenoids has become common on motorcycles as well.
    Have 2 buddys that still ride/race their Harleys and have the computers on them for the spray.

I always felt that having the separate pump would eliminate some of the issues running a Hi-HP plate system.
    The 2 fuel pressure gauges on the cowl were a slight give away.

I liked this one a lot. Street car...:):

Very nice.. Haven't seen gold anodized for awhile.. Always makes me think of stuff I saw as a kid going to the tracks with my dad. But that sir is a fine looking street machine

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very nice.. Haven't seen gold anodized for awhile.. Always makes me think of stuff I saw as a kid going to the tracks with my dad. But that sir is a fine looking street machine

I had those (Gold) on the shelf from a friend giving them to me. He knew I built a car around a set of these inn the Mid-80's. Seriously did. 1967 Impala S/S but that is another story.

The big black car kicked ass in foot brake (Street Bracket) 12.0 class. It would run a lot faster on engine but I kept it corked up (pipes/air breather) with a mild tune up. 11:90's all day in that tune. Gives me some insurance with a good light and it left hard.
    There is air under the left front....:)

Street car

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Dang Rusty is there anything you don't work on? No idea what kind of car it's for but I would be looking for a reman, NOS or even good used.
    1956 Buick Super. NOS is not available, we bought a "tested working" original. It didn't work, but rebuild kits are available.

No there isn't anything we will work on, this kind of small project is what I love doing.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just sent the LS-6 guy out the door for the night. Weather is nice and he hasn't driven the car yet. We are just waiting now to haul it over to IL to have the "guru" look it over, so take it and have fun for the night. He's all paid up. His comments before he left when we asked if he was good with a clutch "oh yeah, I grew up on three on the tree. I've never driven a muscle car though." :faint:

Um. That's one hell of a car to learn on. "Keep her straight".

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wonder what time frame is from taping an episode to airing. At the end of the last series doc had just gotten his chassis done and it needed paint. Then I saw him and Monza at the track and Doc's car had fresh paint and Monza's car had the new chassis under it. Everyone can say what they want but short of wheel base those cars are as close to pro mods as it gets short of a stretched wheel base and carbon fiber bodies. Double frame rail chassis, lots of carbon fiber, 100% purpose built racecars.
    I would love to see them run under the same rules we have. I mean they have unlimited power adders, no minimum weights etc. Not taking anything away they have my respect.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    No where else for them to go but the pro mod route.

I'll give them props for their skills but give me CM's Biscayne or Camaro any day.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No where else for them to go but the pro mod route.

I'll give them props for their skills but give me CM's Biscayne or Camaro any day.

Well they could make a few minor changes and run with NMCA or any number of heads up series. Reality is they have chassis very much like what we run. True pro mod would be a big jump for any of them. At the track we race at there are some outlaw cars that run 3.80s in the 1/8th. And chief was way out gunned when he tried to run Indy with NHRA. Seen Doc go like 4.30 at the track. Jeff Lutz is faster than any of them..if he can get the power to the street IDK

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have no doubt I could run with their E.T.'s IF I could run my car without having to add weight and limiting me to 1 nitrous kit (doc & monza have 4 kits). I'm not sure about chief's or Lutz cars but all the other top dogs prolly only tip the scales @ 2400-2600lbs. We have to weigh in at 3150. That makes a huge difference.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have no doubt I could run with their E.T.'s IF I could run my car without having to add weight and limiting me to 1 nitrous kit (doc & monza have 4 kits). I'm not sure about chief's or Lutz cars but all the other top dogs prolly only tip the scales @ 2400-2600lbs. We have to weigh in at 3150. That makes a huge difference.

Weight is your enemy when starting from static.
    I have been seeing more and more internal cage in most of those cars so chassis work was a given.
    Lutz is a master. He stated it was easier to run a track than the street and he is right.

Are you also noticing the starting line is being prepped a lot better.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Weight is your enemy when starting from static.
    I have been seeing more and more internal cage in most of those cars so chassis work was a given.
    Lutz is a master. He stated it was easier to run a track than the street and he is right.

Are you also noticing the starting line is being prepped a lot better.

No doubt a prepped track is easier to make good runs on than a street. And yes I noticed what seems to be an increased use of "pimp juice" on the line which certainly helps. But another factor is traction control. I know for a fact some of the top 405 guys are using traction control. I have seen most of their cars either at the track and or the PRI show. Also many EFI computers and the MSD grid have the ability to be programmed to work like traction cotrol. It allows them to add or pull power during the run. That is one of the tech challenges NHRA has with Pro Mods now. They have to spot check computers since it is not legal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom