Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in "the day", we ran Balanced and Blueprinted engines,never really sure what blueprinted was, but

balanced, meant that every "major" part, crank, piston rods, were weighed, and then the block was assembled, and "balanced" .....

Blue printing is making every thing in the engine exactly the same. All the way down to ring gaps.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yeah I don't like how they did that.... Even now they make a new LT1 based on the LS engines. I prefer to think about the LT1 as the 350/350 from back in the day, but they first ruined it when they called the 90s engine an LT1.

FYI the 1970 LT1 was rated 350/370 in the Corvette and 350/360 in the Z28 IIRC.
    I had a 72 Z28 which was the last year for the solid lift cam and holly carb LT1 although it did have the lower compression ratio.
    Worked on a couple of 1970 Z28's that had the high compression motor and couldn't tell much difference between the two(1970 vs 1972 Z's). Maybe with slicks on the strip :dunno:.

I also had a 94 Z with the newer style LT1 and I know that car was a good bit faster than my 72 was stock on stock. My 72 ran high 14's with a auto trans at the strip and IIRC the best was 14.75 or close to that.
    I had a computer i believed it was called a G tech or something like that and is showed my 94 at 14.1 or 14.2 everytime and that was on the street and not a sticky track. Those G tech's were supposed to be very accurate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a 72 Z28 which was the last year for the solid lift cam and holly carb LT1 although it did have the lower compression ratio.
    Worked on a couple of 1970 Z28's that had the high compression motor and couldn't tell much difference between the two(1970 vs 1972 Z's). Maybe with slicks on the strip :dunno:.

I also had a 94 Z with the newer style LT1 and I know that car was a good bit faster than my 72 was stock on stock. My 72 ran high 14's with a auto trans at the strip and IIRC the best was 14.75 or close to that.
    I had a computer i believed it was called a G tech or something like that and is showed my 94 at 14.1 or 14.2 everytime and that was on the street and not a sticky track. Those G tech's were supposed to be very accurate.

A well tuned 70 LT-1 stick car would run mid 13's through the pipes.
    Do the standard upgrades....Headers pipes, gear, Carb mods and re-curve the distributor would, on the right night 13 flat on street tires was achievable. Not reliably but properly driven I have seen it happen.
    Remember this is a stick car. The compression did make a difference and it was obvious if one did the upgrades.

These were new cars. Muscle roamed at will when I was of the age to enjoy it.

The G tech will give you a good base line.

There was a 350 horse 327 and possibly a 350 but not absolutely sure of this.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    A well tuned 70 LT-1 stick car would run mid 13's through the pipes.
    Do the standard upgrades....Headers pipes, gear, Carb mods and re-curve the distributor would, on the right night 13 flat on street tires was achievable. Not reliably but properly driven I have seen it happen.
    Remember this is a stick car. The compression did make a difference and it was obvious if one did the upgrades.

These were new cars. Muscle roamed at will when I was of the age to enjoy it.

The G tech will give you a good base line.

There was a 350 horse 327 and possibly a 350 but not absolutely sure of this.

The times I listed for both are for stock auto cars no headers, tuning or slicks. Apples to apples.:):
    IIRC the 350/350 was a hydraulic cam motor in the corvette. So yes they did make them.
    I was a mechanic in the mid to late 70's and did a lot of engine and trans work for customers after hours.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

:yesway: We had what I remember as being a 70 vette in the shop a few years ago, LT1 car. For whatever reason I was thinking it was 350 horse, at that time I actually didn't spend much time around the shop for reasons. Don't remember the car much.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The times I listed for both are for stock auto cars no headers, tuning or slicks. Apples to apples.:):
    IIRC the 350/350 was a hydraulic cam motor in the corvette. So yes they did make them.
    I was a mechanic in the mid to late 70's and did a lot of engine and trans work for customers after hours.

I was deep into that world. I remembered the Hyd. version of the 350 engine later after posting that. Not calling you out on your info as you are spot on.
    We must be close to the same age.
    In my early 20's there was a gas station repair shop on High School rd. that had a Chassis dyno. Antique by todays standards but it worked if you knew how to use it and they knew how.

I would spend a lot of time in there after work helping out. Pumped gas, helped on the oil change rack and tuned cars. I spent so many all nighters there doing manifold/cam swaps etc. My Dyno time was free and every Thursday night I was on the rack getting my cars ready for the weekend action.
    I saw 1st hand what a Z-28 was really capable of running with the upgrades and a serious tune. LT-6 pieces are real monsters when you cut them loose. LT-5's are no punks.
    They had a for real SC big block Cobra as a regular customer. I went for a few rides in that one. Heaven on 4 wheels.
    I learned tuning techniques I still use today.

I was in the right place at the right time to be involved. Great times.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    RustyHornet;[URL="tel:6802776" said:
    6802776[/URL]]So apparently when you strip the threads on the nut holding the center link to the pitman arm, you just throw the cotterpin in and it will be fine. :ugh:

Thats not the correct procedure. You are supposed to add JB Weld to it before inserting the cotterpin.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Some of the cheesy nuts supplied with the rebuild kits these days are made of clay... I've stripped quite a few trying to bring them up to torque. They got pulled off and a better nut sourced. We made a mental note to check the suspension on the Chevelle, forgot to do so till this morning..... Doesn't appear to be any major damage, waiting for the boss man to get his eyes on it. Hoping it'll run.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just found out today that the harmonic balancer bolt hole are stripped out and the mounting hole in the crank is very loose too.

The mechanics want to build another motor. That's not happening. The 327 small journal is staying in the truck.

I'm teetering between Helicoil and just going up one size on the holes.

The three holes in the HB are 3/8" 24 and the crank is 7/16" 20

The motor has been computer balanced so I want to keep all the components together and not change them.

Anybody done this on a HB and the crank in the motor

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom