• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dave dropped nitrous because he kept burning up pistons. Which tells me he needed to do something different with how he applied it. Also tech support he had speedtech (shannon "the iceman" jenkins) who does a lot of pro mod stuff where hurt motors are the norm by running on the edge. But that's arm chair qb stuff.
    Jackey also went back to a pro charger on the sonoma ( he ran that before Dave drove it) saw that on dragzine

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Turbos are no doubt the way to go if you can afford it or a sponsor wants to give it to you. I run with some guys who have spent near 20k to put twins on their cars. Pro chargers are great but I know some guys have ditched them because they need rebuilt too much (ceramic bearing problems). Nitrous gets a bad rap because people often go too lean and and many people think there is some voodoo involved. But depending on how you tune it and apply it, you can run really really fast with it way cheaper than a turbo or supercharger.

Agreed. The lean monster looms just across the edge when you flirt with him. He is not shy.
    I lost an engine or two to this demon and decided not to cross into his territory any more. Way to damned expensive.
    I was on the rich side after loosing the engine in my Biscayne at a test and tune. I did not run the system at the track as the car ran a foot brake class with an ET limit way to easy to eclipse on the engine. The system was there for those weekends that the Ford guys came to town or Good Guys and there was some decent street racing to be had. Or just for some serious stress management when needed.

I am not familiar enough with the new Pro Chargers but I thought they were lubricated off the engine system.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Boosted was struggling more than Chuck to get a purchase on some real estate.

Derek seemed like he was pushing the ragged edge on his chassis with more and more up front. Just an observation. There are limits that must be observed/respected.

Wonder if this work will bring Murder Nova back up front.

I have no doubt TeamZ will get boosted lined out they do great work. Knowing a little about how Tim McAmis work is...Murder nova will be strong but he hasn't gone pro mod. He basically built a new back half, since he wanted to keep steel quarter panels and stock wheel base.
    Derek havd an old school back half car too, and it's limits were reached

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. The lean monster looms just across the edge when you flirt with him. He is not shy.
    I lost an engine or two to this demon and decided not to cross into his territory any more. Way to damned expensive.
    I was on the rich side after loosing the engine in my Biscayne at a test and tune. I did not run the system at the track as the car ran a foot brake class with an ET limit way to easy to eclipse on the engine. The system was there for those weekends that the Ford guys came to town or Good Guys and there was some decent street racing to be had. Or just for some serious stress management when needed.

I am not familiar enough with the new Pro Chargers but I thought they were lubricated off the engine system.

As I understand the oil supply is inadequate on some models

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have no doubt TeamZ will get boosted lined out they do great work. Knowing a little about how Tim McAmis work is...Murder nova will be strong but he hasn't gone pro mod. He basically built a new back half, since he wanted to keep steel quarter panels and stock wheel base.
    Derek havd an old school back half car too, and it's limits were reached

We were right at the limits of our Camaro. I did the back half from a set of prints I had used on a few other Camaro/Nova back halves. I made it just a bit stronger but as always in a drag car weight is your enemy. I have a few friends locally that do amazing cage work which is also a key in this. Even then the limits are there. Safety is not only about you and your car but the guy in the other lane.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We hurt a motor a few times due to tunining. It was cool weather and should have made a timing and fuel press adjustment but a piston with a hole about as big as a silver dollar and a few crushed ring lands taught a valuable lesson. Another time as the car launched the dowel pin on the cam sheared off threw engine out of time and boom big backfire through intake... Had to rebuild carb, several valves, bent jessel rocker stands and another valuable lesson cam should have 2 dowel pins just to make sure.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I understand the oil supply is inadequate on some models

That makes sense.
    My sons boss put a belt driven super charger on his 96 Impala S/S that required external oil supply.
    The 1st one was cobbled on at best (in a hurry) and cost him the engine.

The rebuild was done very well. The machine shop put an oil tap in the front of the block like the old school 327's had back in the day. A solid supply source.
    A serious blueprinted Mellings Hi-Volume pump did the rest. It has lived for a good long time.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We were right at the limits of our Camaro. I did the back half from a set of prints I had used on a few other Camaro/Nova back halves. I made it just a bit stronger but as always in a drag car weight is your enemy. I have a few friends locally that do amazing cage work which is also a key in this. Even then the limits are there. Safety is not only about you and your car but the guy in the other lane.

Absolutely right it all ties together. We had our old backhalf cut out and had both front & rear clip replaced a few years ago so now it's a tube chassis car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We hurt a motor a few times due to tunining. It was cool weather and should have made a timing and fuel press adjustment but a piston with a hole about as big as a silver dollar and a few crushed ring lands taught a valuable lesson. Another time as the car launched the dowel pin on the cam sheared off threw engine out of time and boom big backfire through intake... Had to rebuild carb, several valves, bent jessel rocker stands and another valuable lesson cam should have 2 dowel pins just to make sure.

R&D at those HP levels can be spendy.
    I smoked 3 top ends on the super charged Harley learning to keep it alive.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Btw I hear the SO (405 guys) are looking to tape a 405vs Indiana/ohio episode. Had a phone call a few days ago talked shop with someone involved in the show about possibilities. Will wait and see what pans out

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Always speculated about running nitrous using toluene as the added fuel from a separate tank.

In my Biscayne I had a 12 gallon cell for the engine and a 5 Gallon for the system. The delivery was isolated. 2 pumps. A big Holley pump for the engine and a Holley red for the Nitrous off the 5 gallon. I toyed with the idea of Methanol in the 5 but the associated nightmares kept me honest.
    The Red pump kept a solid 7 PSI on the plate system and I jetted to the fuel on the nitrous. Nothing like the monster systems that Thunder runs but it was a real hoot as a power adder. It was triggered on an RPM switch through a WOT micro on the throttle.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This thread needs more paint fumes.

Painted the frame, chain gaurd and fork last week on Project Typhoon. Came out slicker than snot.

Got the fenders and wheels done tonight. I love painting curved pieces!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom